Last visit was: It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:52 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Alter Appearance Help
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:56 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:49 am
Posts: 62
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Can one use alter appearance to change the color of ones scales(give them a metallic sheen), change the color of ones eyes, and/or change spinal ridges. Basically what are the limitations?

_________________
Johnathan Koch(Avatar done by http://kovowolf.deviantart.com)
Aka: Vincent, Scion of Ven Val'Sosi, Dilettante/Master Sword Sage(Expert 2.1)
Aka: Charles A. "Cut-Throat" Val'Borda, Assassin(Arcane 2.1)


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alter Appearance Help
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:03 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 2046
johnysilverado wrote:
Can one use alter appearance to change the color of ones scales(give them a metallic sheen), change the color of ones eyes, and/or change spinal ridges. Basically what are the limitations?


I don't think there's any inherent limitations in the spell as to your questions...keep in mind:
1) You cannot impersonate a particular person
2) Whatever changes occur, the bonus/penalty are fixed

If you want to get creative and say the scales are given a metallic sheen as a positive effect, I don't think there's anything suggesting you can't do that. If you say the scales are now Rainbow Colored with Pink Polka-Dots, that's probably not within the spell's effect.

Overall you're either creating a more 'positive' or 'negative' appearance, and things like spinal ridge appearance, scale color, eye color/shape can all work towards either of those effects.

John

_________________
- John Bellando

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alter Appearance Help
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:07 pm 

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:36 am
Posts: 1554
Also specifically, since it only makes "cosmetic changes" you cant hide Val eyes, or appear as another race (unless you could be confused for another race already)

_________________
--Josh Elliott
Oswald val'Inares V, The Seeker of the Val'Inares
Harvester Lord of the Eastern Fields of Iowa


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alter Appearance Help
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:50 pm 

Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:12 pm
Posts: 1037
SamhainIA wrote:
Also specifically, since it only makes "cosmetic changes" you cant hide Val eyes, or appear as another race (unless you could be confused for another race already)


Why couldn't you hide Val eyes? Eye color is a cosmetic change (eg it changes the look but does not change any actual function).

_________________
Steve Wilcoxon
Ss'kethis - Expert Holy Champion of the Fire Dragon 3.1
G'hyu'thyh Sungha - Martial Templar of Illiir 1.7
Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alter Appearance Help
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:58 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 2046
wilcoxon wrote:
SamhainIA wrote:
Also specifically, since it only makes "cosmetic changes" you cant hide Val eyes, or appear as another race (unless you could be confused for another race already)


Why couldn't you hide Val eyes? Eye color is a cosmetic change (eg it changes the look but does not change any actual function).


I think the point is the spell is not designed to 'disguise' your race. Since the eyes are a tell-tale sign of being Val, you could enhance or detract from them slightly but you'd still be obviously Val.

John

_________________
- John Bellando

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alter Appearance Help
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:20 am 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:06 am
Posts: 1980
Location: Portland OR
Harliquinn wrote:
wilcoxon wrote:
SamhainIA wrote:
Also specifically, since it only makes "cosmetic changes" you cant hide Val eyes, or appear as another race (unless you could be confused for another race already)


Why couldn't you hide Val eyes? Eye color is a cosmetic change (eg it changes the look but does not change any actual function).


I think the point is the spell is not designed to 'disguise' your race. Since the eyes are a tell-tale sign of being Val, you could enhance or detract from them slightly but you'd still be obviously Val.

John


For most effects humans and Val's/are treated as the same thing. I think a val could use this to disguise his eye color.
Just means people are going to take you for Silence Agents when you manifest your psi powers.

My 2 cents

_________________
Eric Gorman

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alter Appearance Help
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:59 am 

Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:46 pm
Posts: 1314
I agree that you could change your eye color. I don't agree that most would consider you an agent of the Silence. That isn't a widely known threat or at a minimum that capability isn't well known. Although this discussion just gave me a great idea. Thanks!

With a sweep of his...

Hat


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alter Appearance Help
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:48 am 

Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:12 pm
Posts: 609
Spell says you can't emulate another race. I would say that you couldn't hide a val's eye color. Maybe shift it so one didn't think you were psionic, but change it away from gray and clear, no.

As per being human vs being val, there is a huge difference in the campaign, how could one say there isn't?


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alter Appearance Help
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:05 am 

Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:12 pm
Posts: 1037
deviknyte wrote:
Spell says you can't emulate another race. I would say that you couldn't hide a val's eye color. Maybe shift it so one didn't think you were psionic, but change it away from gray and clear, no.


Where does it say that? It says you can't impersonate a particular individual but there is no mention of race in the spell description at all. On the other hand, the spell provides a set mechanical advantage regardless of how you describe it (though if a Val can change their eye color then it would mean they could be taken for human based solely on appearance).

_________________
Steve Wilcoxon
Ss'kethis - Expert Holy Champion of the Fire Dragon 3.1
G'hyu'thyh Sungha - Martial Templar of Illiir 1.7
Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alter Appearance Help
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:04 am 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:23 am
Posts: 1026
Location: Miami Florida
changing the color of one's eyes is well within the power of the spell... heck, Awakened heroes are even better at it!

_________________
Pedro Barrenechea
Stat Monkey
Minor Deity of Typos

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida


Top
Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Theme created StylerBB.net & kodeki