Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Val Bloodline talent errata
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:41 pm 

Quote:
All val bloodline talents of Tiers 2 or higher, gain the requirement of a val bloodline talent of one tier lower.

This is fine for T1-3 since T1-2 have two bloodline talents each and should cover most people. However, I massively dislike this requirement for T4-5 where the previous tiers only have a single choice of bloodline talent.

For instance, my primary is a Vel'Dellenov. I don't see We Are One with Her Domain fitting the character but Primal Self is pretty central to the build. With this rules change, I would be forced to take We Are One with Her Domain regardless if it fits or not. For completeness, I also don't see Nature's Voice or Earth is my Ally fitting.

If you want to make sure people aren't cherry-picking, how about switching the requirement to:
Quote:
All val bloodline talents of Tiers 2 or higher, gain the requirement of a number of val bloodline talents of one lower than the tier.

That way, there are choices for everyone. In my case, I don't like We are One with Her Domain but will have We are All Her Children, Hands of the Mother, and Form of the Predator (three bloodline talents - just not the T3 one).

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: All val bloodline talents of Tiers 2 or higher, gain th
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:46 pm 

while your idea has merit I think it may end up confusing people (due to the fact that the system provided is unlike any other)

Story wise, your hero has little control over how their bloodline powers manifest.. the system we are proposing is much less stringent then the old system bloodline powers worked off of (requiring you to get all of the lower level bloodline powers)

Elorii are also forced, even in this system, to pick bloodline powers they may not like as they move up to the bloodline powers.

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: All val bloodline talents of Tiers 2 or higher, gain th
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:53 pm 

I can see how it might confuse people since it is different. Another perfectly viable option would be to (at a minimum) add one more Val bloodline talent for each family at T3 and T4 (I'd prefer 3 at each tier but 2 would at least give choices).

I will also admit I'd be much less opposed to this rule if it had been in the book originally. Adding it in now, it just feels like it's forcing me to re-envision (and replan T3+) for my character.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Val Bloodline talent errata
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:31 pm 

Just a thought on this. Could we base it on Bloodrank? If the numbers add up right you can use Potent blood to effectively skip a tier of talent you don't really like. In the end though i do think the best answer is just more options at each tier, which i'm sure will happen but takes time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:36 pm 

I see no issue with the rules as written, where you need at least one BL talent of a tier Lower to get the benefits of the higher ability. This way they are consistent with the Elorii Bloodline Talents, and (theoretically) the same as the Black Vals whenever they are released (unless they change things up). I see no mechanical reason why you shouldn't have to get at least one Tier III to get a Tier IV. Just like any tiered effects, you sometimes have to take a lemon to get to the good stuff.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:12 pm 

Nierite wrote:
I see no issue with the rules as written, where you need at least one BL talent of a tier Lower to get the benefits of the higher ability. This way they are consistent with the Elorii Bloodline Talents, and (theoretically) the same as the Black Vals whenever they are released (unless they change things up). I see no mechanical reason why you shouldn't have to get at least one Tier III to get a Tier IV. Just like any tiered effects, you sometimes have to take a lemon to get to the good stuff.

To me, Val bloodlines are different than Elorii bloodlines. Elorii have a single tiered talent whereas Val have multiple (usually) unrelated talents. I strongly feel that one of my two suggestions (either count of talents not directly related to tier or additional talents added at tier 3 and 4) needs to be implemented to allow some flexibility (either is still far more restrictive than what is currently in the rules of just cherry-picking whatever you want).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:20 pm 

I must admit, before reading the Errata, I had assumed you needed the Lower Tier talent before getting the higher tier talent.

Story wise for me it makes sense that way. So I like the change

Melbourne - Australia

Marco val'Sheem - Master Sword Sage
Gwe - Berokene Sailor & KNight of the 12 Oaks
Henrique Gatti- Dark-kin Archeologist

Tos'Koreth - Disciple of Jeggal Sag
Vuran - Tultipet Body Guard

The Axeman (LRC)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:29 am 

I also do not mind this requirement. I like the notion of having a power that is not predictable/obvious.

I'm looking forward to the time when walking from one tree to another is useful!

and
~ Sestia Gracchi, of Grand Coryan

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:39 am 

rick anytime you walk into a tree its useful to the rest of your party, a concussed Decios is a quiet Decios

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:12 am 

I'm starting to think "count of tier-1" (rather than "possess 1+ of tier-1") is the way to handle all (or at least most) of these new restrictions. See Josh's nearly identical suggestion for how to handle Learn Martial Technique. If all (or most) of them are handled in the same way (count) then this isn't unusual/odd and won't confuse people.

If this goes in as proposed, can we at least get a second bloodline talent for each family at T3 and T4 before anyone gets that far? As I've said, I don't mind more restriction - I just majorly dislike the complete lack of choice with the proposed errata.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next