Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Vault of Larissa's Laments
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:16 pm 

**WARNING**

The Vault of Larissa's Lament will not be available for Legends of Arcanis characters who did not attend ArcaniCon 2014. But the Vault of Larissa's Laments may (will probably) be available for home/non-campaign play for story reason. Timeliness unknown for that.

With that in mind proceed to the rest of the thread where we will be discussing the grand adventures we had.

Also, I personally will not be posting any solutions to the puzzles in here or go into too much detail about the cursed items, that way someone can read this for story, but still play it without meta gaming later.

Last edited by Deviknyte on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Vault of Larissa's Laments
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:20 pm 

Tyrfang doesn't grant flaws, just 12 ticks of offering surrender :) For that you get 1 Exceptional and 2 Fine Runes :)

If you put on the ring, well that's deserving given its description :)

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:25 pm 

Arii picked up a shield that she calls "Five Encumbrance" she can't get rid of it and it grants her 3 flaws.

Thesos picked up something that granted him 3 flaws, one of which is brand new!

One table picked up 8 flaws total, although I don't know if they were all from cursed items.

There was a really cool moment at one table where a player had a cursed item (granted bloodthirsted) that prevented them from picking up a second cursed item (granted pacifism) because the items were opposites.

Last edited by Deviknyte on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:51 pm 

Don't think of them as Flaws, but rather character growth ;)

In addition to "Stupidity leads to character creation" and "Actions have consequences", Arcanis can now add "That which doesn't kill you will leave you substantially more flawed" :D

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:53 pm 

Devin,

I've moved the information here as requested. Given that the mod is not LA playable and quite possibly may never be release I'm not sure how needed it is, but am fine with it for now.

That would be somewhat difficult as every table's experience was different. The Vault was a fortress, guarded by the Legion of Just Fate buried thousands of years ago. It's situated in the Corlathian Mountains somewhere north of Enpebyn. The Emerald Society discovered it and managed to create or find an entrance through what was once a skylight. We were told that it was believed the fortress was the resting place of the Tear of Larissa. The Tear is supposed to be a powerful Oracular artifact that Larissa shed upon seeing whatever horror in the future caused her to go mad and turn to debauchery in an attempt to forget. Rumor had it that there were powerful objects in the basement. Our mission was to enter and explore, working our way down. As an overall event the goal was between the tables to explore all 5 levels. As someone noted, each level was the size of 9 BI Maps, 45 in all. Needless to say that no single table could explore it all within the event.

The exploration started within the shrine of Illir on the top floor of the fortress. We would later discover that "ground floor" was level 3. We came in on 5 and the lowest level was 1. The top level were shrines to each of the 12 gods along with 3 barred directions. The iconography to some of the gods was different with additional symbols or images in murals. Each shrine took effort to open. Aspects of each shrine could only be accessed by a true follower of that god. Each shrine contained hidden within it some token of the god's favor. In all or nearly all of these cases it was a 1st Imperium weapon - the god's favorite - with an amalgamated rune of the god's rune (from Forged in Magic II) and another fine rune appropriate for the god. In the case of Larissa it was a side sword.

All of the writings were in archaic ancient Altharin requiring linguistic checks for those who spoke the language or much was completely unreadable. There were mosaics and murals depicting great events and battles and the gods themselves. Almost all of the depictions of Larissa within the fortress at least that we encountered were of her pre-debauched self. There were a lot of things that were puzzling such as the differences in imagery. There were some pretty horrific creatures to avoid including a dragon and an orb spider. There was a 9' tall Elorii one group accidentally released. There were a bunch of angry spirits that were freed. The majority of the objects we encountered had more value from an historical perspective rather than strict monetary value or were massive to haul around such as large tapestries hanging on walls. The challenges included a wide variety of very unpleasant traps. The true Tear of Larissa was recovered and ended up in the hands of the Mother Church who ceded rights to just about everything else in the Fortress for it. As some have commented, a bunch of stuff including heretical objects should really have stayed buried.

We were told at the end that each character could pick one thing from the list of things they found to take with them. We're still waiting on the certs. Tony and crew had to review each person's list to see if what they asked for was reasonable. That did not include various "souvenirs" that people picked up - namely flaws and cursed items. One table ended up with either 8 flaws or 8 cursed items amongst the PCs. One table. I heard one character ended up with a permanent wound. Massive damage rules were in effect and fairly early in the event we were recalled from the fortress to help deal with an army of reavers coming from one direction and an army of singarthian trolls coming from the other. My table fought the reavers and it was rough.

All in all a lot of fun with tantalizing clues mixed in with the various rooms. I would have loved to have had someone skilled in artisan painting. There were a number of the murals that we were sure there was more to be learned, but couldn't quite figure out what without it. Tony, Cody and Matt did a great job of making virtually every skill in the book useful in at least one location. It was a bumpy, frantic and nerve-wracking ride at times, but a lot of fun. My character is hopefully carrying out the shortsword I found in Cadic's shrine. Of course that means making significant changes to the development I had laid out to incorporate at least 3 other talents and at least one Path. He'll come out a bit behind mechanically, but the story and flavor trade off are what matter the most, so it's all good.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:04 pm 

Nierite wrote:
Don't think of them as Flaws, but rather character growth ;)

In addition to "Stupidity leads to character creation" and "Actions have consequences", Arcanis can now add "That which doesn't kill you will leave you substantially more flawed" :D
There was no way to know before you grabbed it. We even tried to ditch one of the cursed items, but another group worked against us on that.

Last edited by Deviknyte on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:08 pm 

Deviknyte wrote:
**WARNING**

The Vault of Larissa's Lament will not be available for Legends of Arcanis characters who did not attend ArcaniCon 2014. But the Vault of Larissa's Laments may (will probably) be available for home/non-campaign play for story reason.

With that in mind proceed to the rest of the thread where we will be discussing the grand adventures we had.

Also, please do not post any solutions to the puzzles in here or go into too much detail about the cursed items, that way someone can read this for story, but still play it without meta gaming later. Remember there were few items (cursed or otherwise) that weren't weapons, shields, or armor, so describing what they are gives them away.

I have a hard time accepting the proposed rules. How do you talk about the story without talking about the various areas and something of the layout, what was where etc.? At what point does it cross over into true spoiler vs. story spoiler? I'm curious to find out what happened with various tables which based on the guidelines provided above would pretty much necessitate a 2nd spoiler thread. Is that really warranted? Isn't the fact that picking up a single item grants 3 Flaws by itself pretty significant? Does that mean I need to move the stuff I provided below such as about the weapons into the other thread? I appreciate the thought of trying to preserve people's enjoyment in some possible future play. I'm just having a hard time trying to understand how to really make this work.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you're strongly convinced that this will be released anytime in the near future? Given the vast amount of stuff that's coming due to the Kickstarter, I'm not sure how much of a priority turning this into a homeplay mod is going to be. If this is the way people want to work it that's fine, and I'll certainly defer to the campaign staff. This certainly seems to be a lot of effort though to segment discussions.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:13 pm 

This is a spoiler thread. You can say whatever you need to without worry. I was just suggesting not going into detail on thing that will make playing the vault easier.

Tony said it should be released for non campaign play. Near future, probably not.

I also changed my post to I personally won't give away too much, just story. Most of the items and puzzles didn't have any barring on the story save 1 that we encountered.

Last edited by Deviknyte on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:15 pm 

Removed as no longer needed.

Last edited by Hat on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:17 pm 

Nierite wrote:
"That which doesn't kill you will leave you substantially more flawed" :D
Amen, brother.

Deviknyte wrote:
Arii picked up a shield that she calls "Five Encumbrance" she can't get rid of it and it grants her 3 flaws.
The shield is actually named "My Burden".

"Nobody can carry My Burden but me---unfortunately."

Last edited by Brandyzon on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next