Last visit was: It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: its all about the shield
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:51 pm 

Deviknyte wrote:
SamhainIA wrote:
to be clear were not talking about double dipping on rune powers right now just on raw shield benefits

With the exception of the one maneuver that says you lose the shield Def, shield is always double dipping on offense and defense. Shields are a powerful accessory, even if you aren't going to attack with it.

As per confusion, aside from runes, I've never had any confusion with shields and their talents or attacks.

I had been under the impression, perhaps incorrectly so, that any time you attacked with the shield you did not receive its Avoidance (defensive) properties until your next action.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:54 pm 

i was under the impression that you loss the defensive bonus to a shield anytime you attack with it not just when you do a certain manuever or so says the player handbook pg 231
Quote:
Shields
Shields grant a different set of benefits than armor.
Where armor provides a protection from damage, shields
provide a passive bonus to the user’s Avoidance. All shields
share the following characteristics.
SB: Shield Bonus. All shields provide a passive Avoidance
Bonus when wielded. If the character performs an attack
with a shield, they lose this bonus until the beginning of
their next action.
The wielder of a shield must be aware of an
incoming attack to receive this bonus.

so john you are right you loss it

Last edited by whitepanther0712 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:57 pm 

Whew okay, thought I was going crazy!

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:05 pm 

now the issue with runes i don't really see as much of an issue personally, again you can't really double dip there unless the Permanently Inscribed Rune and to a lesser extent the Amalgamated Runes are made available for a pc to buy, here they would get two benefits for the price of one, but that is not an option because pcs can't buy those yet. other wise if you have a exceptional shield which has 4 rune slots, the pc would have to choose whether or not he wants defensive or offensive runes or a combo of both. only possible issue i see would be if a pc is able to buy and place both an offensive and defensive version of a rune on the shield. personally i don't see an issue with that since it would take up two of the 4 slots the shield has and no less then 10gp to buy, 4gp is they were to transfer them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:44 pm 

I stand corrected.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:47 pm 

That said, I stand firmly on the side of A) No double dipping for runes, and B) No double dipping for Legendary/Exceptional/Fine stats.

John

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:50 pm 

To be honest I could care less on rune double dipping. It would simply going with a few rune except. Ones with activates would present a problem.

Quality, we've come to far in my opinion. And definitely should not double dip if an errata is done.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:05 pm 

there is no quality bonus for a shield other than the ones provided as a weapon currently, the OP was a request for something that does not currently exist in the rules.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2