Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Origins 2014 - Discussion
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:17 pm 

Having just read a post in the Origins 2014 thread by Mr Zwiers indicating that WH will have two LARP events I have to renew my disappointment that Arcanis, the flagship, isn't getting one. I know, I understand that the story may preclude a traditional LARP and that's fine; just disappointed that a replacement event hasn't been announced.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:48 pm 

I think we may need a point of clarification on that. There are a couple possibilities: One, the LARP may actually be the same event run twice to experiment with the system and work out the bugs (and allow more people to experience it). Two, James may have misspoken. I have not seen confirmation of events on the Origins website, so there may actually only be one LARP event. Three, the time commitment to getting one LARP to run is staggering (speaking as someone who tried to do so last year), let alone a LARP, a BI, and three adventures (again, speaking as someone who tried to do so). Add on top of that the Blessed Lands source book, backer rewards from the Kickstarter, prepwork for the additional sourcebooks, personal lives, work lives, and other factors we may not even be aware of? There's a lot to get done.

At and after ArcaniCon, I'll be reaching out for volunteers to do specific tasks to lighten some of the load from Henry, Pedro, and even myself so I can shoulder more specific tasks for them and get more modules out to you guys in a timely fashion. I think having more people chipping in where they can will smooth some things out in the long run; I know that I probably won't be writing any modules at all this year, since we've started to get some new ones coming in from other people. Ultimately, I think this will address your concerns. We may not get a LARP this year, but we can work towards having more cool events in the future.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:33 am 

As someone that put in about 62 hours in the office last week, I completely understand the time constraints the powers-that-be are likely under and would never attempt to downplay or minimize the effort it takes to put together a line-up for a campaign for a con - let alone TWO campaigns and Rotten Capes.

I also understand and accept Henry's previous explanations offered. If the storyline (which I'm obviously not privy to) doesn't allow for a LARP, then the storyline doesn't allow for a LARP - case closed. I don't want it to seem as if I'm pounding my fists on the table, demanding anything, either; I'm not. My "beef", if you want to call it that, is that having a Witch Hunter LARP (or two) at Origins - which for some time has been the big show for Arcanis - while not having one for Arcanis, feels a bit like stealing from Peter to pay Paul. I'm merely expressing my disappointment, which I've done, so I feel I can shut up now. :lol:

I just wanted to explain that I wasn't being a whiny little git, that I do understand, even if I'm not attempting cartwheels over it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:03 am 

I'm not going into the specific details of who/why, but there are two WH LARPs at Origins.

I'll be posting the event blurbs when I've got the time, right now I'm lucky if I'm only in the office for 10 hours a day.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:05 am 

And in-regards to it somehow 'stealing' from Arcanis... WH and Arcanis have the same number of premiere events (at least with respect to total play-time) at Origins. Trying to imply that we are shorting Arcanis to promote WH is frankly, disingenuous. Both are campaigns that PCI actively supports and works on developing. IF anything, previous years we have shorted WH in favour of Arcanis.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:29 pm 

As much as I know that people love LARP's, I'm okay with not having one. As was stated by PCI, they are doing something new with the LARP, which they are trying out with Witch Hunter before Arcanis. Also, there is a VERY small population of people working for PCI, especially in the Witch Hunter subset, with a fair amount of overlap. As such, there simply aren't enough warm bodies on staff to fill both roles AND have an Arcanis LARP.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:35 pm 

Guys... I expressed an opinion of disappointment that WH gets 2, Arcanis gets 0. Nothing more. I was quite clear that I understand their are personnel and (per Henry) story reasons for the lack of an Arcanis LARP. I was not piling on, I was not accusing, I was not stamping my foot or pounding my fist in a temper tantrum. There isn't going to be a LARP; if one doesn't like it, that's just hard cheese.

If we, the player base and volunteer campaign staff, can come up with an alternative event and get it approved by Henry and Co, that would be awesome. I'd be happy to help organize and develop such an event. A meta-LARP, something that doesn't have a direct impact on the immediate events of the story, but something that could be incorporated later - for example. Maybe even just a live action Crossroads Tavern gathering, with some objectives for factions thrown in for flavor.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4