Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Customized Advanced Maneuvers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:00 am 

PCI_StatMonkey wrote:
expect a slight bit of errata for Arcane Strike

Thinking of limiting the traditions you can apply

I'd be careful about traditions you limit. If Arcane a strike is only about adding extra damage from elemental bolt or whatever then IMO it's just not that hot when compared to other options. You pick up strain and recovery. If some control spells are allowed but not others then we are adding complexity and potentially rejiggering the line as we find different synergies with other talents.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:38 am 

val Holryn wrote:
PCI_StatMonkey wrote:

I'd be careful about traditions you limit. If Arcane a strike is only about adding extra damage from elemental bolt or whatever then IMO it's just not that hot when compared to other options. You pick up strain and recovery. If some control spells are allowed but not others then we are adding complexity and potentially rejiggering the line as we find different synergies with other talents.
That entire fighting style is overpowered, especially the tier four ability. I think some balancing on this maneuver's part would be nice. I think tradition would be a nice way to go about it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:24 am 

PCI_StatMonkey wrote:

I thought you had said it was intended to allow the types of non damaging spells being used. I'm curious what traditions you're thinking since it's available to several casting types, the traditions need to be balanced out. If you plan on limiting it to damage spells or removing traditions like illusion that provide nice added effects then you'd need to remove the no Primary Die restriction and the whole elemental AR applies to the whole damag amount I think.

Is it really a problem of Arcane Strike or is this a Sweeping Strike problem?

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:26 am 

Deviknyte wrote:
val Holryn wrote:
PCI_StatMonkey wrote:

That entire fighting style is overpowered, especially the tier four ability. I think some balancing on this maneuver's part would be nice. I think tradition would be a nice way to go about it.

Please provide examples of why the fighting style is overpowers compared to any others, before just blanket statements are made.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:45 am 

People are entitled to have an opinion. I think the fighting style is overpowered also.

and I think instead of limiting traditions, it should be limited to spells that affect avoidance and fortitude and not allow spells that affect discipline. there are already precidents in the system about those two type of attacks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:46 am 

It's great to have an opinion, but generally those are also supported by some actual evidence. It's perfectly fine to say something is overpowered, but why? It's hard to discuss or debate otherwise.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:56 am 

SamhainIA wrote:
and I think instead of limiting traditions, it should be limited to spells that affect avoidance and fortitude and not allow spells that affect discipline. there are already precidents in the system about those two type of attacks

Which precedents are you speaking of? There are already martial maneuvers that target Discipline, so I'd say that is good precedent that weapon attacks can affect your opponent's mental state as well.

John

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:05 am 

Quote:
Any spells that attack Avoidance or Fortitude use the Prowess attribute unless otherwise indicated.
Any spells that attack a Target’s Discipline always use the Arcanum skill’s Primary Attribute.

ARPG 348

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:25 am 

SamhainIA wrote:
Quote:
Any spells that attack Avoidance or Fortitude use the Prowess attribute unless otherwise indicated.
Any spells that attack a Target’s Discipline always use the Arcanum skill’s Primary Attribute.

ARPG 348

I'm not sure how this supports "No discipline attacks with Arcane Strike"? Could you elaborate? As I've pointed out, there are already weapon maneuvers that can target Discipline (using Prowess), so I'm not sure how channeling a spell as a maneuver would be any different. Perhaps Arcane Strike should use the character's Primary Casting Attribute for Discipline spells?

John

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:04 pm 

SamhainIA wrote:
People are entitled to have an opinion. I think the fighting style is overpowered also.

I have been thinking of this option as well

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next