Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Guidelines on Hero Point Awards?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:09 pm 

Just looking for a guideline on what a good amount of HP's to award is? I know it's dependent upon the players, but wasn't sure if there's a maximum you'd want to aware in one adventure.

john

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Guidelines on Hero Point Awards?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:05 pm 

Award what you feel like awarding, should be for the character doing something fun and not just something standard. I'd think 3 per module is about right, but they need to earn them. Keep in mind that these don't carry over into the next adventure.

The main thing is that True Faith shouldn't be popping up like crazy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:26 pm 

So should we ignore the "HP" column on the Adventure Journals? Since characters now start with their True Faith (rounded up or down?) in HP and any leftovers go away?

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:28 pm 

Yes, it's a relic from before that change.

When I get around to it, I'll see if Pedro can remove that for us. He's the one who designed our beautiful Adventure Journals.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:15 pm 

Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but can't a player immediately spend an earned HP to turn it into 1/10 of a True Faith point? (This is what I read in the campaign guide.)

If so, then here's the problem with not establishing more firm guidelines for hero points... You will end up with some judges who award HPs like water and some who are extremely stingy. (See the recent Arcanis discussions for plenty of examples.) And since True Faith is a very important commodity, this can (and likely will) escalate into a big disparity between characters.

In the Dark Providence campaign, I once played a game at Origins with a character who had 10 True Faith. Her character was, I believe, only in the 2nd tier at the time. This will happen again if more firm rules are not established early. Now, whether the rules need to be for Hero Points or for how many can be turned into True Faith is debatable. But they do need to exist. A quick fix might be to say that only once per adventure can you trade a HP for TF. And maybe, by that same token, only once per adventure can you spend a HP to negate a point of Damnation. But something needs to be established. (And since HPs disappear at the end of the adventure, this might actually be a pretty good fix.)

Thoughts?

Scott

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:58 am 

Totally agree with Scott. This should be done sooner than later, I had the same thoughts already.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:41 pm 

One of the guidelines i have in mind is awarding them if the players are doing things so daring that they will feel a very strong compulsion to spend them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:42 pm 

I agree that there should be a guideline for how many Hero Points are awarded in a "typical" adventure. We already have a de facto number based on this thread (3 HP), so I think that's sufficient for a start.

I disagree on imposing additional restrictions on how Hero Points can be spent, including for improving True Faith. If a player wants to spend all those HP on improving True Faith, they're giving up the ability to prevent damage, to gain temporary use of talents, to get a +1d bonus to their rolls... Based on the number of modules being released per year so far, it would still take years before anyone gets to True Faith 10, if that even comes to pass, so I think further restrictions are solutions to non-existent problems.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:43 pm 

PCI Eric wrote:
One of the guidelines i have in mind is awarding them if the players are doing things so daring that they will feel a very strong compulsion to spend them.

From my experience at Winter Fantasy, folks are going to spend the ones they start with; however, it seemed everyone kept the ones I gave out (Which maxed at 3 for each adventure as a general rule) for True Faith investment. Since you need to decide the moment it's given and excess HP disappear at the end of the mod, I have a feeling that's how it's going to go most of the time.

John

Offline Profile