Last visit was: It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Using a 20' long weapon in combat?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:00 am 

:D You're stuck with 20 of reach. Invest in Quickness. Your probably going to do a fair bit if shifting to get the reach juuussst ssoo.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:36 am 
val Holryn wrote:
:D You're stuck with 20 of reach. Invest in Quickness. Your probably going to do a fair bit if shifting to get the reach juuussst ssoo.

That Lizardman we don't see enough of seemed to make it work, though I suspect he was used to forethought in his tactics. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:07 am 

val Holryn wrote:

Yep, I agree Eric. Until someone errata's the book, publishes a new book, or gives me a nice special cert, I'm stuck. It wasn't impossible to deal with. Just took some tactical thought.

There once was a gnome called Oozy,
Who kissed a Yaricite floozy.
But rather than wed,
She drowned him instead,
Now he is a Yaricite toosey!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:12 am 

Sounds like consensus is to treat it normally. I'm good with that and that's why I asked :)

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:30 pm 

Eric Hughes wrote:
val Holryn wrote:

Yep, I agree Eric. Until someone errata's the book, publishes a new book, or gives me a nice special cert, I'm stuck. It wasn't impossible to deal with. Just took some tactical thought.

Well when you take Whirlwind Attack, I will refuse to run you through any adventures :)

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:41 am 

Actually one thing that came up in last nights game was tactical edge. Does a pikeman standing 20 feet away from a target grant tactical edge to other players engaged with the same mob?

On one hand that is a LOT of area to grant tactical edge to. On the other hand the pikeman is a real threat.

But rather than wed,
She drowned him instead,

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:47 am 

Tactical Edge from flanking is based upon proximity, not just threatened areas.

Here is the writeup:

Flanking:
Creatures with enemies on more than one side are Flanked; Flanked creatures grant a Tactical Edge to all enemies, not just those that are on either side of it.

John

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:59 am 

Quote:
A slight advantage provided by many circumstances, such as higher ground, greater numbers, a prone target, and more. A Tactical Edge grants a +2 bonus to the attacker’s Attack Roll. No matter how many circumstances are granting a Tactical Edge, the character only enjoys a single +2 bonus.

How bout being outnumbered?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:19 am 

So, in my book, if there's a reasonable chance that someone is going to stab me in the back if I ignore him (regardless of if he stabs me with a knife, sword, spear or even just a sharpened stick) then that person is reasonably distracting and would be demanding enough of my attention that I would grant tactical edge to other people who might also want to stab me.

So yes, at my tables, if you are 20' away from a pikeman, and in melee with someone else, then that someone else will get tac. edge.
EDIT: So will the pikeman. But if you are 15' away, then no, I don't think that the pikeman should grant tac. edge. But that's a bit more gray to me.

Now, with respect to whirlwind attack... When I first read this maneuver, the pike immediately came to mind. It's obviously a powerful combination when you abstract out the reality of using a 20' long weapon. However, unless a clarification is made, here's how I intend to handle it at my tables... Anyone within your optimal range is a valid target for the attack. Anyone greater than or less than your optimal range will not be a valid target.

Here's why... Obviously, there's a (debatable) question of balance. Being able to attack 80 targets with one maneuver was never intended. (even if the majority of those attacks are at a penalty.) Second, some weapons have the Long Strike trick. While combining Whirlwind (when it becomes a base maneuver) with Long Strike is perfectly acceptable, in my book, that changes your reach to 10', such that attacking targets adjacent to you is no longer acceptable. It seems to me that this concept should apply to all reach weapons. So, there's a balance issue and a visual issue. There's a striking end, and there's a haft. And while the haft might hurt if struck by it, that's not how the weapon was designed to be used. (And this is coming from a guy whose primary character uses a quarterstaff... a weapon with Long Strike.)

Scott

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:31 am 

That sounds pretty rational. If penalty to attack then no tactical edge.

Some how I get the impression that long spears where not play tested as heavily as the other weapons.

But rather than wed,
She drowned him instead,

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next