Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What are some powers you would like to see?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:21 am 

So,

What are some powers, not in the core book, you would like to see in a future product?

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: What are some powers you would like to see?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:18 pm 

A type of deflection and/or reflection power. It might even be a Power Trick for Force Shield after gaining oh soo many ranks in it.

Echo
B-lister, Super Human, Brawler
"Bringing the noise!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:44 am 

I have a player that is using move object a lot so I've been playing around with the rules around it recently. After a post in the rules forum it was suggested that I show one of the power maneuvers I've worked up for it here. It came into being when one of my players wanted to pick up a bunch of guns at once and fire them.

Far Hand
Powers: Move Object
Cost: Demanding
Attack: Avoidance
Effect: You can manipulate objects as though you were using your own hands. You can pull triggers or work with fine tools. For each object beyond the first it adds +3 burnout and a die penalty to any skill checks.

My Obsidian Portal page, including the link to my Rotted Capes game: https://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/justicar347

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:33 pm 

Something simple, but Enhanced Skill for all those times that you want to play someone who is inhumanly good at something without increasing an entire attribute.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:58 am 

Another thought - I'm more interested in Power Exploits than brand-new powers. For Teleportation, I could see one where the character doesn't grant Tactical Edge for being outnumbered, with a visual of a ton of short-range teleports (think of Nightcrawler near the start of X-Men 2).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:34 pm 

So I was playing around with ideas and was thinking about how you would make spider-man. He is pretty easy up until trying to figure out web slinging. Flight with some flavor is my quick fix for now, but it seems like there should be something more representative for him and other characters that shoot out lines and grappling hooks.

My Obsidian Portal page, including the link to my Rotted Capes game: https://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/justicar347

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:56 pm 

justicar347 wrote:
So I was playing around with ideas and was thinking about how you would make spider-man. He is pretty easy up until trying to figure out web slinging. Flight with some flavor is my quick fix for now, but it seems like there should be something more representative for him and other characters that shoot out lines and grappling hooks.

for now... look at combining Fly and Surge, add limitations that the hero must be within 1 area of a large structure..

the Surge would be a (Leap) to get up to a height and start swinging, it could also be used as a "sling shot"

but a unique power may be a good idea

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:32 pm 

Hey Henry, I recently picked up the game and so far I am enjoying it. There are however a few things I'd like to see in a companion product. First I'd like to see a discussion clarifying the "hidden costs" of a number of powers. By that I mean, not every rank in a power has any appreciable effect, some powers have huge stretches of "dead ranks" and while I don't have a problem with that per say, making players aware of that design choice up front will go a long way to easing player disappointment when they realize just how much it will cost them to get to their next useful rank in those powers.

I'd like to see a revision to Adaptive Muscle Memory. As it currently stands according to the rules as written, Adaptive Muscle Memory does nothing until rank 3 at which point you get 1 slot for either a copied skill or advantage. You get a second slot at rank 8 and a third slot at rank 15. While the power isn't entirely useless, particularly if you are copying a skill, the points you are spending on could really be better spent just buying advantages and skills themselves. While I realize the individual ranks matter for just how many ranks in any given skill you copy, that only matters for skills and for all intents and purposes that stops mattering after rank 8 to 10 as the average character's skill aren't really going to be much higher than that. I think allowing the character with this power a number of slots equal to the passive value of the power would go along way to making the points spent in it feel more valuable.

I'd like to see a few more Power Source options. I think having a magic user power source, maybe an Alien power source and a different Tech power source that wasn't focused on power armor, more like a gadgeteer, would be cool.

I'd like to see a ton more power tricks. These can really make the game awesome. There are also a few more powers I'd like to see like an absorption power. I think it would also be cool if you put in examples of how to build certain power effects with the existing powers, like the Swinging effect you built above.

Overall the game looks really good though and I am excited to play!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:35 pm 

I think a "Portal" power would be sooooo awesome to use. Kinda like teleport, but you can create gateways into other areas. Kind of like Blink from x-men.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:17 pm 

Just moving this over from the other forum, but this is a power trick I designed for one of my players using Move Object and Entangle who wanted to crush her opponents instead of just throwing them into things:

POWER TRICK: Crush
Powers: Move Object, Entangle
Cost: +Complex, +2 Burnout
Effect: After successfully pinning an opponent with Entangle, you may opt to use this power trick as a variant of your "Move Object" power, where instead of applying force to move a person/item around, you apply force directly on top of them, effectively crushing them into the ground. As they are already ensnared in your Entangle, this attack is automatically successful (as per the punish move in the grapple section on pg. 92) until they break free of your entanglement, and deals damage based on your move object power die and your resolve die.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2  Next