Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Heirloom horse
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:03 pm 

There are 2 rules on Heirloom animals. I was wondering which rules you guys use.

The Heirloom talent (ARPG 196) gives suggested heirlooms. For Hinterlands it states
Quote:
Light or Heavy warhorse (descended from the bloodline of a famous stallion); rather than being Exceptional quality, the Hero gains the Loyal Companion Talent.

While in the Bestiary volume 1 (pg 9)
Quote:
Exceptional Animals
Many varieties of animals, most notably dogs and horse, are bred with great pride to produce fine specimens with particular traits. Animals of Exceptional Quality (such as those gained through the Heirloom Talent) gain Exceptional Specimen Variation (see page 43).

While reading it comes across as either/or. Horse is not exceptional and you gain Loyal Companion, horse is exceptional you gain Exceptional Specimen Variation.

Honestly I would grant a player both of these things, with 1 condition. The condition is that the horse stat block being used if from the Bestiary Volume 1 instead of the ARPG.

But what do you use?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Heirloom horse
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:27 am 

Bestiary replaces arpg version. You just use the arpg version if you don't have the bestiary.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Heirloom horse
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:08 pm 

I have one character who has an Heirloom: Horse and another who has an Heirloom: War dog. With the one he is val'Holyrn like a val'Delenov and the other is just a val'Delenov. Lothair got his Heirloom Horse then he took the the Bloodline: We are all her Children to gain the Loyal Companion Talent. I did it this way because I knew I was taking the Horse Lord path ladder so I did not want to double up on Animal empathy. Vukisan took Hierloom: War dog. Then took Animal Empathy and Loyal Companion. Then finally took Bloodline: We are all her Children to gain the Bonded Companion. So in other words I have a bonded War Dog at 1.5.
It has been stated on the old forums when I asked your very same question that yes the bonuses stack.

Lothair: "I don't understand, the invitations say Lothair plus one."

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey