Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fame vs Influence vs Reputation
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:29 am 

From various mods, I've had noted Story Achievements labeled:
Fame
Influence
All have a number (e.g., +1, +2) associated and an organization or country (e.g., Milandir, Champions of the Silver Chalice).

Are these 3 achievements all the same thing, e.g., Fame == Reputation == Influence?

Do they accumulate? If I have a +1 with Milandir from 3 different mods, does that give me a +3?

What can you do with these totals? Seems like some are needed for Secret Society membership, but that's all I can tell.

Thanks.

Anoush val'Mehan, Sarishan Binder (3.9)
Valadriel Maethirion, Kio Duelist (2.5)
Irena val'Virdan, Priestess of Nier (2)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Fame vs Influence vs Reputation
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:33 am 

And one more related question - if it's listed as something like "reputation with Tralian Militia (Milandir)", does that give the bonus with both Tralian Militia specifically and Milandir generally? Sometimes (like Dry Rain) it's listed this way explicitly but other times it's vague.

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:35 am 

I would say that if you have reputation with the Tralian Militia, it does not stack or combine or interact with reputation with Milandir in general. For example, if I have reputation with the Edmonton Police Force, that does not give me reputation with the Government of Canada and the Office of the Governor General.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:16 am 

Nierite wrote:
I would say that if you have reputation with the Tralian Militia, it does not stack or combine or interact with reputation with Milandir in general. For example, if I have reputation with the Edmonton Police Force, that does not give me reputation with the Government of Canada and the Office of the Governor General.

Most of the time that seems like it would make sense. However, why does Dry Rain give general reputation with Milandir then (it explicitly does)? And there are other modules that have things listed like "Duke Konrad val'Holryn (Milandir)" or even "Crown of Milandir". It's not explicitly stated, but I would definitely expect those to give reputation with Milandir generally.

On the other hand, like Mary, I haven't seen anything that Fame/Reputation is good for other than Secret Societies (I'm honestly just curious how it works and what's comparable and what's not).

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:57 pm 

At Origins Tony said that he is working on a new document which will clarify some rules issues for Fame, as well as providing some concrete uses/benefits. Not sure whether they are close to having it done, but it is on someone's desk.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:02 pm 

Nierite wrote:

I'm not sure if I agree with this position. The logic overall is sound, but then why does a cert say Milandir in parenthesis? If you only have the fame with a sub grouo I think you could just list the subgroup. I think fame/infamy works on a national level. But I'm going off of either a half remembered conversation or my own bias. Still my guess is that the note of the Tralian Militia (or the Edmonton Police Force) is just a note on the block within the nation who likes you enough to "spread the word."

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:54 pm 

My personal position on this is "Meh", fame is just a number, Im not really a fan of spending it or using it

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:04 pm 

I'd like fame to be worth something. If it isn't, it shouldn't be given out.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:09 pm 

john, do you have any suggested solutions?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:16 pm 

SamhainIA wrote:
john, do you have any suggested solutions?

Here are a few suggestions:
1) Fame/Reputation: Gives a +1 to all Persuasion, Empathy, Etiquette, and Deceit rolls for each point of Fame when dealing with the person or organization. If you ever 'fail' a Deceit roll, lower your Fame by 1

2) Fame/Reputation: Gives a 1-5% discount on one good quality item purchased in an area controlled or influenced by the person or organization / module.

3) Some information in a module is only available to someone with a minimum Fame/Reputation. This shouldn't be 'critical for module success' but interesting or important or leads to a side quest.

4) Special training is available with a minimum Fame score. This training can take the form of a bonus to a state for a limited number of adventures if there's an opportunity to train. For instance, Tralia Militia: Spend 10s and for the next 5 adventures you gain a +1 to your Avoidance when adjacent to any ally.

Those are off the top of my head...

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2  Next