Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wealth, sell and buy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:00 am 

With starting wealth, can you only sell stuff at character creation? E.g., you get a breastplate, if you sell it you get 25 RP, or can you keep it and just sell it whenever during scenarios for 25 RP?
Thanks for the help, Peter

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Wealth, sell and buy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:41 pm 

TEchnically right now, you can game the system and sell back items from character creation. I may just cahnge it so you can't. But considering your wealth gets 'reset' to your social standing every 10 modules, you might as well just buy something useful.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:48 pm 

Campaign Guide wrote:
Any unspent wealth at character creation does not carry over into play. Instead the PC will begin play with the wealth corresponding to their Social Standing as on page 147 of Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Second Edition. This wealth will refresh every ten (10) modules played.

I read that as you receive that amount of wealth every 10 modules (a version of "earning an income"), so it would be possible to accumulate wealth over time for the more expensive items.

Some of the basic items for nobles can reach that with one purchase.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:51 pm 

Then I will have to tighten up the language.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:00 pm 

What's the rationale behind a 'reset'? That seems like it could screw people over, if you're saving up for something and you hit that 10th adventure before you get to?

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:33 pm 

1) This isn't an equipment based game.

2) There are only handful of items that cost enough to need to 'save up' for.

3) In the previous campaign, wealth became pointless

4) Anything of real value will not be purchase-able anyway

5) I can make it so that you can get that item you want if the player base makes it clear they want access to it.

6) You aren't 'screwed' if you have to make that hard choice about what to buy, you are a regular person.

7) I'm not making you worry about lifestyle expenses

8) Horror is more horrifying when you have limited access

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:35 pm 

Sounds good to me, then!

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:38 pm 

I had a feeling people would mostly want to know that it wasn't arbitrary.

Seriously though, feel free to think of ways to improve it. I'm completely open to suggestion. Doesn't mean you'll convince me, just that I will give any suggestions due consideration.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:41 pm 

CBlome wrote:
I had a feeling people would mostly want to know that it wasn't arbitrary.

Seriously though, feel free to think of ways to improve it. I'm completely open to suggestion. Doesn't mean you'll convince me, just that I will give any suggestions due consideration.

I'm trying to locate my current Adventure Journals for all the games I've already played. No idea where I put them :( So when I do I'll take a look. I can't say for sure how it might or might not affect me, it just sounded like an odd workaround. I'll keep an eye out and see if I have any good suggestions.

John

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:55 pm 

If the intent is to not track resources, how about a further simplification?

"Background Kit: These are the items and RP you start each adventure with, as chosen during character creation. You may buy/sell items during this step but may not retain any unspent RP. These items may be modified by certificates found in adventures."

"At the start of each adventure, a hero has an amount of RP on hand as determined by Table 2-20 Income. This RP may be spent before play commences 'off-screen'.
Items purchased and any unspent RP are not retained beyond the adventure. This may be modified by certificates or talents."

I was looking to purchase a Spyglass (900 RP); as a noble ship's officer, its almost mandatory equipment. ;)

Although my suggestion does make the +5RP from Dilettente (ta) minimally appealing against my income of 250RP from Courtier (but worthwhile for lower classes).

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2  Next