Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rebuke
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:18 pm 

when maintaining Rebuke, I can incidental movement. if I incidental move into new Undead do I roll another attack roll, or if new mindless undead try and attack me, do I make a new attack role vs their discipline made as they attempt to enter my area. If I fail on my first roll to beat their discipline, after 3 ticks of maintaining the spell will I get another attack roll to try and beat their discipline.

Even though Zombies have a mindless attribute the do have a relentless hunger, would that allow them make a mettle test vs the ward to enter it and take a bite of delicious human.

If undead have a companion of the rebuke holder grappled will they drag the companion with them out of the rebuke area

Since this is a clock based system, the undead if affected would have to take their next action to leave the area spending the incidental movement to do so,? After they leave the area, if they have the supper desire, can make the check to return to the rebuke area (ie a moment to rebuild their desire), or can they make the mettle check once their turn comes before leaving the area.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Rebuke
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:13 pm 

Rebuke only effect targets during the moment of casting. Moving doesn't grant you new targets or remove old targets.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:49 am 

Can a spirit, which had to move out attack into the area, if a character stands at the edge, or do they still need to roll to push through? And how often do they can attempt to push through, if they fail the first time? Is is a tick 1 action?
Thanks for the help, Peter

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:33 am 

Devin, can you defend that position of "Rebuke only effect targets during the moment of casting"

I would contend that "affected entity", plus the Range of 10' with no specified targets indicated that any creature w/in 10' of the caster not just the creatures that were in 10' of the caster at the initial casting.

to answer the OP's question, an attempt to push through does not have a listed time, so I have been combining it with other actions (such as movement) making it part of a normal movement action (not an incidental movement action, cause you have to be taking another action to combine incendental movement... a different argument ) taking 4 ticks typically. and thematically if its the right thing for those creatures to do they could try it every time their action comes up, because its not a save, its pushing through.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:46 am 

I would agree that the intent of the spell is to push back any undead nearby, and prevent new ones from entering the area during the casting. It doesn't make sense that it would only affect the ones in that initial area.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:15 am 

I also agree. You are making a force field which is why it is Duration: Sustained, not Duration: Instant. You push creatures out, but then creatures can attempt to force their way in after that with a successful roll.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:22 am 

It's the ruling I was given when I was abusing it. But it's all in the spell.

Quote:
All creatures affected by the spell's initial casting must move to the edge of the effect. For as long as the spell is active, the affected creatures will not enter the spell's radius.

Quote:
Sustained Effect: Creatures affected must remain outside of the spell's area.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:05 pm 

Hrm, I don't agree I read "All creatures affected by the spell’s initial casting must move to the edge of the effect." as a complete sentence that indicates something that happens when the spell is cast and not something that affects the targets of the ongoing spell.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:20 pm 

Josh, nowhere in the spell does it say you get an attack on creatures entering the area, or creatures that you force into the area through incidental. The sustained effect doesn't say you affected creatures most move outside of the area or newly effected creatures most move outside the area. Affected creatures must remain outside of the area is talking about creatures already affected by the initial casting.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:25 pm 

Pig Librarian wrote:
when maintaining Rebuke, I can incidental movement.
Yes.

Pig Librarian wrote:
If I incidental move into new Undead do I roll another attack roll, or if new mindless undead try and attack me, do I make a new attack role vs their discipline made as they attempt to enter my area.
No and no.

Pig Librarian wrote:
If I fail on my first roll to beat their discipline, after 3 ticks of maintaining the spell will I get another attack roll to try and beat their discipline.
If you fail to hit those in the initial casting they are immune until your next casting, not sustaining.

Pig Librarian wrote:
Even though Zombies have a mindless attribute the do have a relentless hunger, would that allow them make a mettle test vs the ward to enter it and take a bite of delicious human.
Yes.

Pig Librarian wrote:
If undead have a companion of the rebuke holder grappled will they drag the companion with them out of the rebuke area
Up to the GM. Depends on if they can move the opponent that far and escape the radius in the same action.

Pig Librarian wrote:
Since this is a clock based system, the undead if affected would have to take their next action to leave the area spending the incidental movement to do so,?
Yes.

Pig Librarian wrote:
After they leave the area, if they have the supper desire, can make the check to return to the rebuke area (ie a moment to rebuild their desire), or can they make the mettle check once their turn comes before leaving the area.
Probably on their next action.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next