Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Casting ranged spells into melee?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:31 am 

On the old forums the ruling was any and all ranged attacks, powers and spells took the negative 4. Spells are powerful enough cited as one of the reasons. They didn't need anymore help.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:56 am 

deviknyte wrote:
On the old forums the ruling was any and all ranged attacks, powers and spells took the negative 4. Spells are powerful enough cited as one of the reasons. They didn't need anymore help.

That is what I thought as well. I don't remember spells vs. Discipline being given a special exception. Iirc, the benefit to avoid the penalty was only negated to Avoidance via Arcane Accuracy/Blessed Inscriptions because Discipline and Fortitude were considered easier to hit, anyway.

-general creator of mayhem and discord
-Exceptional quality PCI Minion and indentured servant
-Lord of the Hummingbirds

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:02 am 

mighty28 wrote:
deviknyte wrote:

That is what I thought as well. I don't remember spells vs. Discipline being given a special exception. Iirc, the benefit to avoid the penalty was only negated to Avoidance via Arcane Accuracy/Blessed Inscriptions because Discipline and Fortitude were considered easier to hit, anyway.

You might be right in terms of Discipline from the old forums. I thought I remembered in the answer that since Discipline uses your casting Attribute, it was more force of will upon a target, and therefore wasn't being 'aimed' at them through a combat.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:07 am 

If -4 for spells into melee is the official ruling, that's what I'll go with. I just don't see it - opponents are usually in melee and -4 will more than make up for Fort/Disc being "easier to hit" (from what I've seen, there is not a 4 difference between Avoidance and other defenses (except for some player characters)). I think there needs to at least be a talent similar to Arcane Accuracy that works with Fort/Disc spells.

A quick look through the stat blocks for HP1-14 (BI) shows a total of 1 enemy with Avoidance 4 higher than Fort or Disc and multiple enemies with Fort or Disc higher than Avoidance. I fail to see any such "easier to hit".

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:04 am 

Seperate but related problem: is there a way to penalise players who are using very careful placing of templates to avoid players but maximise enemy targets in melee?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:08 am 

As long as the templates line up on the proper edges of the "squares" the potential targets occupy, they're doing what they're supposed to do, but remember to levy whatever penalties are appropriate (firing into melee, cover, what not).

Back on the original subject, there has not, to my knowledge, been a change to the rules (old forums or otherwise). Avoidance and Fortitude DO get a penalty for firing into melee (though talents can help with the former), while Discipline does NOT.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:44 am 

mininin wrote:
Seperate but related problem: is there a way to penalise players who are using very careful placing of templates to avoid players but maximise enemy targets in melee?

I don't think that warrants penalizing. That's part of what being a good caster means. Just make sure they are using the correct templates and can see the point of origin clearly (That's the key).

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:09 am 

mighty28 wrote:
deviknyte wrote:

My recollection was that there was an exception for Discipline. This may have changed over time, but that's what I remember. Maybe Pedro can give us an official clarification.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:50 am 

Encali wrote:
Back on the original subject, there has not, to my knowledge, been a change to the rules (old forums or otherwise). Avoidance and Fortitude DO get a penalty for firing into melee (though talents can help with the former), while Discipline does NOT.

Can you please point to the rule that says this? If there was something on the old forums, it's (unfortunately) been lost like so many other valuable conversations...

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:03 am 

In all fairness, I tend to apply then penalty even with Discipline for consistency. After all, there is NOTHING in the rules to say otherwise. I do remember posts on the old boards that say otherwise, but until they are in a format we can refer to, nobody has a clear recollection of them and they are not (necessarily) LA official.

Add to an errata or have a PCI post, and I'm all for it. Personally, all should be kept the same IMHO.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next