Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Fate Point Cap
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:06 pm 

Granting fate points during an adventure for awesomeness could instead be you can spend one additional fate point during this adventure.

It also grants another option, -1 fate use for the rest of this adventure. Minor curses, bad karma (kicking puppies), and skill challenge effects.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:08 pm 

I've been quietly reading all these posts. I said a few things earlier and been quiet. But at this point I want to chime back in with 4 things I've taken away.

#1) Despite the assertion that there is a story reason for the current ruling, the player base is discontent with where things stand. I say this given the number of posts and views on this thread. I know, while I don't totally hate it, I personally think the current Fate Bank is heavy handed and I am somewhat unhappy with it.

#2) Other options exist that could limit the ability of someone dumping 75 points of fate in a Delve. (I favor NEVER lifting the cap in adventures/BI/Delves)

#3) The assertion of the campaign that individual judges are exclusively in control of how many fate points to give out to players has proven to be a bad idea in practice. It would work well in a home game but not in a living campaign where players and judges have (legitimately) different ideas about how they want to play. Guidelines in modules or in the campaign guide would be helpful.

#4) Consensus has not been reached about how the player base thinks Fate should be handled.

Is there any way to build a poll (that works?) where the different ideas could be laid out and we could get a rough idea where the people in the forum stand?

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:16 am 

Henry and Pete, could we get some additional thoughts on this? I think we've had some good suggestions from the player base.

Not exactly unbiasedly, I still rather like my suggestion - everyone starts with Fate Points = Fate Score every adventure. Completely removes the cap, inconsistencies in GMs giving out points, book keeping...all go away.

I really like Devin's suggestion that additional Fate Points can be given out for awesomeness at the table, above and beyond the Fate Score limit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:28 am 

James,

This question should be answered by the Campaign Staff, not by Peter or me.

It's the Holidays - let's give them some time to get back and discuss this amongst themselves.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:27 pm 

My 2 copper

There should never be a need to have a fate cap.

Fate is a currency a play earns bas spends through out the adventure. As a judge I awarded fate for activities that make my game better, ie bringing a miniature that represents what your character looks like, brining the miniatures to be used in the game. Playing in character and interacting with other PCs or NPCs . 1 point participating in the post adventure review where the player talk with the judge giving suggestion on how to improve future games.

I even award a Non-combat, or a particular skill restricted bonus fate point required to be used in the adventure because of a funny side activity the character did

My goal as the judge is try to drain these fate points before the final end battle, as fate points are very few thing that the party can hold in reserve till the final battle. I a character chooses not to spend his fate and let it build that is his own poor fate management skills

Some judges use a die roll with a target number like 30, which personally builds fate points like nuts especially when there is a lot of combat, I have a strong feeling this is where some pools have built up a glut of fate points.

I think a big problem for fate point build up is a lack of guide lines to award them. Not even a mention of how many should be awarded on average per game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:56 pm 

My general guidelines:

1) 1 Fate Point: Sitting down at a table, participating in the game, and helping to make it fun for all involved
2) 1 Fate Point: Roleplaying your character with other PC's and with NPC's as appropriate
3) 1 Fate Point: Playing up a flaw to your detriment, Going above and beyond to really stay true to your character even at another cost (assuming it's not disruptive), etc.
4) 1 Fate Point: Anything particularly unique, special or extraordinary that a character did to really enhance the game.

Most players get 2 Fate for normal play, some get 3-4 if they go above and beyond. I rarely award more than 4 per adventure unless there's something truly awesome going on.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:08 pm 

And those are decent guidelines, John and Pig, but those are your guidelines. I've had judges award 0 points, I've had judges award 10 (per person), I've had judges have a set number and award no more than that for a whole table. The thing is, we all do it differently and that's part of the problem. If it isn't consistent across tables, and certain groups keep getting the same judge from time to time, it's hardly a fair and equitable system.

That's why I proposed the idea of everyone sitting at a table starts with their Fate Score in points to spend per module (2x for a double, as was suggested by, I think, Devin). I also like Devin's proposal that for awesomeness, additional points can be awarded for use in that module only.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:21 pm 

It isn't against the rules to ask a Judge that didn't aware any Fate "Could you let us know if there were things we did or didn't do that did not earn us Fate? Also, what we can do differently next time for earning Fate Points?" With everything else Judges have going on, it's possible they forgot or didn't realize that folks spent so many. Open up a dialogue with your GM, they are people too :)

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:55 pm 

*shrug* Sorry, I'm not going to customize my style of play to earn Fate Points on a judge-by-judge basis. That's bad practice. It would be equally bad to metagame by saying "oh hey, Cody wrote this mod, make sure we do X or we don't get full xp".

Harliquinn wrote:
It isn't against the rules to ask a Judge that didn't aware any Fate "Could you let us know if there were things we did or didn't do that did not earn us Fate? Also, what we can do differently next time for earning Fate Points?" With everything else Judges have going on, it's possible they forgot or didn't realize that folks spent so many. Open up a dialogue with your GM, they are people too :)

John

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:09 pm 

mith wrote:
*shrug* Sorry, I'm not going to customize my style of play to earn Fate Points on a judge-by-judge basis. That's bad practice. It would be equally bad to metagame by saying "oh hey, Cody wrote this mod, make sure we do X or we don't get full xp".

Harliquinn wrote:

John

I think you missed the point...it's not about modifying your style of play as much as it is a gentle reminder to the GM. I believe once it's pointed out that a GM didn't give any Fate Points in a nice way, that it would be rectified. If you play with a GM who doesn't give out Fate Points for any games even after being asked about it, maybe you need to have someone else run.

John

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6