Last visit was: It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Religion in the Pirate Isles
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:49 pm 

Hello,

Harliquinn wrote:
I've heard competing opinions on this and it would be nice to get a PCI response on these.

Not sure exactly what I'm being asked to opine about, since quite a few topics have been bandied about on this thread, so I'll address the OP question, Religion in the Pirate Isles.

Short answer: There isn't an organized religion on the Pirate Isles.

That's the whole point of the Pirate Isles - people go there to escape questions. Its a lawless and no-questions-asked type of place. Neither the Mother Church nor the Milandric Church have an official presence there. There may be an itinerant priest or two wandering around, but those are just as likely looking for sanctuary than offering it to anyone.

Oh and as an aside: The Pirate Isles, in the ARG updated version, is modeled after the pirates of the Mediterranean Sea during the time of Pompey and Caesar and not on the Pirates of the Caribbean.

Aside #2: Yes - the Milandric Church is much more conservative and stoic than the Mother Church of Coryan.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:13 am 

Interesting. After reading Henry's statement that the pirates of the Pirate Isles are modeled off the Mediterranean pirates of late antiquity (the time of Pompey the Great and Julius Caesar), I did a quick Wikipedia search on the topic. Most enlightening. Based on what I read I see adventure possibilities and would suggest prospective mod writers do some research. I think a Pirate Isles mod or two would be quite popular with Arcaniacs.

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:05 am 

PCIHenry wrote:
Hello,

Harliquinn wrote:
I've heard competing opinions on this and it would be nice to get a PCI response on these.

Aside #2: Yes - the Milandric Church is much more conservative and stoic than the Mother Church of Coryan.

Actually this was the part that I was specifically asking about. The big question is have the canticles of Illir been officially integrated into Coryani Church Doctrine? The main book says 'not yet' but that was several years ago.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:53 am 

Hello John,

Harliquinn wrote:
The big question is have the canticles of Illir been officially integrated into Coryani Church Doctrine? The main book says 'not yet' but that was several years ago.

Yep - that is the question.

And until a sourcebook or adventure by me comes out with an answer, you'll just have to keep wondering. :-)

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:01 am 

That's all good too. It was just important to my character in deciding which sect he was in. As an Altherian, he grew up in the mother Church. However in his background, his uncle was part of the Emerald Society expedition that uncovered the new scrolls. Other things happened and if they were actually integrated, Kelb was converting to Milandric Church after a long period because I interpreted the books as Coryan was becoming way more conservative. If that wasn't the case there was less reason for his conversion.
John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:58 pm 

PCIHenry wrote:
Hello,
Oh and as an aside: The Pirate Isles, in the ARG updated version, is modeled after the pirates of the Mediterranean Sea during the time of Pompey and Caesar and not on the Pirates of the Caribbean.

Hmmm... I might adjust the outline I was working on to that (was looking at Sea of Lanterns, but that could be more important).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:30 pm 

Nierite wrote:
Remember a few things re: the Mother Church -

1) The Mother Church is not a unified whole, but rather a Confederation of aligned Churches which all have a 'seat' on the 'church council.' I personally view it as close to the United Nations than the United States insofar as how resolutions at the top trickle down into the specific churches.

2) Elandre' is, ultimately, an Illiirite. Her policies are codified in the Church of Illiir, and she seems to be trying to make them carry through to the other churches. But like the debates between the likes of Hiraksu val'Ishi and Nephasser val'Mordane during the First Conclave of the Divine which led to the compromise which exists--in one way or another--to the modern day.

3) Elandre's apparent dislike of Larissans should be fairly well known (at least at higher circles), so many would probably view her efforts in this regard as little more than her targeting those drunken hedonists.

As such, Elandre' is clamping down on the Illiirites, and TRYING (and, from my read, failing) to clamp down on anyone else.

Once again I have been out of the loop for awhile but I am commenting. I agree with Cody's assessment. I figure only about 60% of you will get this reference but has always reminded me of the R. Jordan's Wheel of Time series and the White Tower with all it's Ajahs and the Prelate being like the Patriarch/Matriarch.

Lothair: "I don't understand, the invitations say Lothair plus one."

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2