Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fate Point Cap
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:52 pm 

I have another take, that I posted in another thread:

Solve all the Fate Point issues at the same time. What are those issues, you ask? Things like: some GMs being more generous/stingy than others; players 'banking' them and/or 'hesitant' to spend them, players having X points but can only spend X/3 per module, etc.

For the shared campaign, the solution is simple: every adventure all characters start with a number of Fate Points equal to their Fate Score. Points do not accumulate or carry over. No bookkeeping... No worries about GMs giving too many or not enough...

Let private home games accumulate and carry over (or not, depending on the GM).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:06 am 

mith wrote:

Solve all the Fate Point issues at the same time. What are those issues, you ask? Things like: some GMs being more generous/stingy than others; players 'banking' them and/or 'hesitant' to spend them, players having X points but can only spend X/3 per module, etc.

For the shared campaign, the solution is simple: every adventure all characters start with a number of Fate Points equal to their Fate Score. Points do not accumulate or carry over. No bookkeeping... No worries about GMs giving too many or not enough...

Like +1

I do agree with this. Nice and simple.

In the last BI of the crusade arc my players spent a grand total of 1 fate point. And that was to wipe some strain even though the combat actually finished the next tick. Most of the time they don't need it or use it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:19 am 

mininin, if your players aren't being challenged, then ultimately, its not a fault of the fate system or the module, but an oversight of the Chronicler .

Arcanis mods, particularly BIs have complex stat blocks in them, and its easy to overlook why or how the combat is supposed to be challenging, the only home game BI ive run is Joppa, but even then I took a significant number of Fate points from my players.

Your goal as a Chronicler is to figure out how to challenge players with the mod. We should probably start a discussion on just that topic, but when prepping you find an encounter that dosen't seem challenging, post about it on the spoilers board, that's what its there for.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:34 am 

If it appears the characters are walking through an encounter that's supposed to be challenging, then I just add more 'challenge'. That can take the form of extra Stamina, another creature coming in, or anything like that. From what I've seen players like to have their characters challenged, as it makes for way more memorable adventures than the one where they walked through without trouble.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:31 pm 

I agree and I do the same.

The thought process behind my suggestion was basically to eliminate bookkeeping and "level the playing field" due to differing styles of FP allotment from GM to GM across a decent-sized-and-growing shared campaign.

Josh has stated he lost something like 70 or 80 FP due to the cap, due to never having an opportunity to use them en masse because he judged the BIs. Even if I had never played a BI, I never would have had close to that amount because of the way most of my judges gave out FPs (pretty stingily). Plus, when you judge, you don't get FP - so my secondary character had almost none 'banked'.

Harliquinn wrote:
If it appears the characters are walking through an encounter that's supposed to be challenging, then I just add more 'challenge'. That can take the form of extra Stamina, another creature coming in, or anything like that. From what I've seen players like to have their characters challenged, as it makes for way more memorable adventures than the one where they walked through without trouble.

John

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:45 pm 

Maybe it is just me, but I personally think "Subtract 5 Sc" during the adventure is LESS bookkeeping than saying "Well, you rented a room in the Inn, had a warm meal, and two drinks, so adding all that up. . ." stuff that we've been getting recently.

Maybe that is just me.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:24 am 

SamhainIA wrote:
mininin, if your players aren't being challenged, then ultimately, its not a fault of the fate system or the module, but an oversight of the Chronicler .

Arcanis mods, particularly BIs have complex stat blocks in them, and its easy to overlook why or how the combat is supposed to be challenging, the only home game BI ive run is Joppa, but even then I took a significant number of Fate points from my players.

Your goal as a Chronicler is to figure out how to challenge players with the mod. We should probably start a discussion on just that topic, but when prepping you find an encounter that dosen't seem challenging, post about it on the spoilers board, that's what its there for.

It wasn't meant to be a direct reflection on challenge more a comment upon how encounters that some groups find challenging can be a cake walk for others depending upon composition and approaches and as such how fate usage can vary between groups.

Fate usage does also depend upon what the players are willing to accept- are they happy to miss with that attack, to take the hit and full damage etc. Generally my players run with the premise of 'let the dice fall where they may' and accept it.

It would be good to have a challenge section to discuss such other side discussions. Although even with prep no plan survives contact with the enemy as some famous guy once said.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:00 pm 

mininin wrote:
mith wrote:

Like +1

I do agree with this. Nice and simple.

In the last BI of the crusade arc my players spent a grand total of 1 fate point. And that was to wipe some strain even though the combat actually finished the next tick. Most of the time they don't need it or use it.

I'd like this too. In the case of double rounders you have twice your fate score or your fate score in each half. In the case of BIs three times your fate score. I know a BI is technically a double rounder, but we're there for 12 hours and trying to be murdered and I think 3x is fair.

Last edited by Deviknyte on Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:43 pm 

Yeah, admittedly, I kind of like the idea, too. Less bookkeeping. And judges don't have to stop and think about whether or not they've given out enough Fate points to their players. I'd vote for it.

Scott

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:53 pm 

I actually am in favor of this also, it makes things a lot easier in the long run, and fate cap has a lot more meaning.

I am also in favor of doing away with the "do the impossible" or in the very least limiting it to something a bit more managable

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next