Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: List of legions and affiliations
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:31 pm 

Hello,

Very good. I'm sorry that 5E didn't do it for you, but I'm glad that you found a system that works for you.

As I said, glad to have you back.

Keep us posted.

Also, if you're on Facebook, we have two Facebook groups that might interest you. One is just about the setting and the other is primarily about the Organized Play campaigns.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/643169139185691/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1118837464832751/

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:35 pm 

I can understand about 5E. Have you tried the ARG system? It was designed specifically for Arcanis and wouldn’t require you reworking mechanics.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:31 pm 

Thanks both.

Henry - even though I won't be joining this Arcanis shared campaign, you've given me all the tools I need to hopefully create a few new fans of the setting. I've just picked up the collection of adventures which I hope to use if the initial run is a success, and as I couldn't justify (much as I wanted) buying all 6 of the BLM supporter packs on Drivethru, I made sure that I did pick up the one with the Kio source book.

Paul - unfortunately, good idea as it is, another system is too hard a sell for my guys. If I can get them to read 30 pages of primer to make thoughtful character choices, I'll be happy. Entire new game (which I'd have to learn myself) is a step too far for them...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:54 pm 

@Longfinders No worries on game system. 13th Age isn't one I'm familiar with, so I don't know how well it maps to either ARG or 5E mechanically. The story/world is certainly the strength over the mechanics. Good luck with it and if you've got questions on the world/setting certainly post them.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:57 pm 

Glad to hear it. Enjoy!

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:31 am 

So just for your amusement, I started to run a lightly modifed version of the classic Taboo last week.

Our party consists of:

- a val Holryn (with my version of the val Borda bloodline) Holy Champion of Cadic, outwardly a 'merchant' but in reality a secret agent of the Milandisian crown, and member of the Troupe of the Final Note.
- an Ardakene Laerestri who is starting to have a crisis of faith after being introduced to the worship of Saluwe while in Lustia
- a Black Talon Ranger and honorary member of the Royal Marines due to heroism in their backstory
- a Myrantian ex-legion Centurion (wait til he gets to Old Coryan...)

And soon to be joined by a Canceri val Mehan cleric of Sarish who is a believer that the Mother Church should heal the rift and unite, and A N Other as yet to be created.

I am honestly proud of how much time, thought and effort they have put into character creation and think all of them really fit Arcanis, and will have plenty of plot hooks once I start them on Year of Ill Harvest.

As for Taboo, I'm assuming everyone has played it but don't want to give spoilers. I added an extra roleplay scene at the start for them all to show off a little about themselves, but once the adventure started in earnest it only took about an hour before one of them did something - completely in character - which made my jaw almost hit the desk, and looked like it could have led to blows between some of them.

So I just had a chuckle and said 'welcome to Arcanis. Get used to hard choices: there' ll be plenty more soon!'

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:01 pm 

Thank you for the update.

Please keep us appraised of how your campaign progresses.

Welcome to Arcanis, indeed. :-)

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:35 pm 

Longfingers wrote:
So just for your amusement, I started to run a lightly modifed version of the classic Taboo last week.

Our party consists of:

- a val Holryn (with my version of the val Borda bloodline) Holy Champion of Cadic, outwardly a 'merchant' but in reality a secret agent of the Milandisian crown, and member of the Troupe of the Final Note.
- an Ardakene Laerestri who is starting to have a crisis of faith after being introduced to the worship of Saluwe while in Lustia
- a Black Talon Ranger and honorary member of the Royal Marines due to heroism in their backstory

And soon to be joined by a Canceri val Mehan cleric of Sarish who is a believer that the Mother Church should heal the rift and unite, and A N Other as yet to be created.

So I just had a chuckle and said 'welcome to Arcanis. Get used to hard choices: there' ll be plenty more soon!'

Welcome to the campaign.

While there isn't a lot of lore about the Elorii in general or Belisarda in particular if your Laerestri friend or yourself have questions on either topic there are probably people here who can fill in some basic blanks.

An Elorii who decides to worship a human god will at best be unwelcome in human churches and at worst will be targeted both by the Inquisition and other Laerestri. This is a bad campaign to be a heretic in, after all. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:45 pm 

First of all: If it makes for a good story, follow your heart! If it makes for interesting roleplay, than I always encourage it.

Second, though, the Gods of Arcanis tend to be rather species-specific so you almost never see in canon an elorii worshiping Yarris or a ss'ressen worshiping Illiir. A large part of this has to do with how souls and the dead are dealt with by individual gods. For example, the elorii KNOW for a fact that their soul goes to the/one of the Orumars, which are the product of Belisarda, and not to Beltine's Cauldron. As such, if you worry about your immortal soul, you would not risk annoying Belisarda by worshiping other Gods. That isn't to say that you wouldn't respect the power of other Gods like Saluwe' and Hurrian, but it is in your best interest to not anger your own ethnic goods too much.

Similarly, in the case of the elorii, which the Laerestri seem to have had portions of the memories. . . shall we say removed, to provide protection of the details of Elonbe', they still have at least some memories of their culture. They would presumably have remembered something about meeting Elder elorii, some of whom would have known the Gods personally when they still walked Arcanis. Hell, elorii carry memories with them between incarnations (represented by Visions of Lives Past), so they can even personally recall times when they personally met their Gods and have seen their power. These traits would all help to reenforce to an elorii of the powers of their Gods, and even though the Elemental Lords are gone and Belisarda isn't talking very often (if at all), they would also have heard the stories of how the Human Pantheon destroyed their heritage. As such, even if they recognize the power of Saluwe', there is a lot of hate that has travelled through the centuries because of what Saluwe' did to Marok.

My 'second' point does come off a bit of wet blanket, but this is also a point of the world of Arcanis. Changing a god carries with it a lot of baggage, and moving between Pantheons is taboo for literally every race. There are few examples of this in canon, with the Ashen Hides worshiping Nier being a notable case, and every one of them shows very rough consequences for their conversions (the Ashen Hides are hated by almost all other ss'ressen/ssethrics, and even the Nierites of Canceri keep them on a tight leash).

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:12 pm 

Longfingers wrote:

Our party consists of:

I am honestly proud of how much time, thought and effort they have put into character creation and think all of them really fit Arcanis, and will have plenty of plot hooks once I start them on Year of Ill Harvest.

As for Taboo, I'm assuming everyone has played it but don't want to give spoilers. I added an extra roleplay scene at the start for them all to show off a little about themselves, but once the adventure started in earnest it only took about an hour before one of them did something - completely in character - which made my jaw almost hit the desk, and looked like it could have led to blows between some of them.

Interesting cast. When is this set?

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next