Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hiding ones eyes...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:40 pm 

Is there a way I the living campaign to effectively hide the color of your eyes? Yes I know that I can do so by a spell, but the spell options only last one hour. I'm asking because I don't want my PCs statuts as a Val to be publicized. To pass himself as human he needs to hide his gray eyes 24/7. Are tinted glasses a thing? A blindfold would work, but he needs to see. ECT..

There once was a gnome called Oozy,
Who kissed a Yaricite floozy.
But rather than wed,
She drowned him instead,
Now he is a Yaricite toosey!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Hiding ones eyes...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:20 pm 

There is the toothpick option. Popular with a certain secret cult in Grand Coryan... :evil:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:30 am 

If your PC is a woman you could easily wear a veil...

You could wear a mask also that conceals the eyes (with a thin gauze or maybe a thin wire mesh)

There is always the Hat of Disguise.

Glasses almost certainly exist in Arcanis. We see them in artwork, usually worn by Altherians. For example in the border art in the Blessed Lands book. So what about sunglasses? Turning to google for "When were sunglasses invented?" initially says they were mass produced in the early 1900 ...not so good. BUT! Another article claims that Emperor Nero(!) watched gladiatorial fights through polished "gems." Apparently smoky quarts was also being used in China by the 12th Century.

SO...I would *guess* that tinted glasses of some sort exist as a luxury item. Not impossible for someone who wants to hide their eyes.

All this said, if you want to conceal your "val-ness" you may want to take additional measures. Members of the val families all look alike. Enough that cousins are easily mistaken for brothers and sisters. Just because I can't see the color of your eyes doesn't mean i can't guess that you are a val'Assante or a val'Virdan.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:46 am 

Thank you both! Regrettably while the toothpick option is effective. The side effects can darken ones mood. As for the point about cousins looking like brothers, you make a good point that I had forgotten Eric.

I'm playing a val Holyrn family assassin. But I'd like to hide the fact that the val Holryrn's have an assassin in the family. I can't imagine why they would. :-p

But rather than wed,
She drowned him instead,

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:17 pm 

Glasses don't really exist in Arcanis (they kind of do but are super rare), and they in themselves would draw more attention then your eyes would for their rarity. Coloured glass would be even more rare, and would draw even more attention. Honestly, depending which game system you are using there are spells which can alter your appearance to make it less noticable, but the easiest way to obscure them is just to wear a hood or something to shade the face, and with it the eyes. These are eyes, after all. They don't glow, they don't radiate, they are just eyes. I myself have grey eyes (not val-coloured, but still) and you have to be within like 5 feet of me to notice their colour. I get people regularly thinking I have either blue or brown eyes until they get close to me.

That said, most vals probably have the opposite problem. Remember, the 'noble vals' are considered to be a higher status in almost every human culture than baseline humans because they were born of the Gods themselves (well, the valinor, but still). Even 'baseborn' vals would warrant more deference than the average joe because of this. There is even a story in the original Codex Arcanis of human nobles marrying low-born vals to increase the status of their family by producing vals. Since the only physical sign of being in a val family for most vals is their eyes, there is probably more of an industry in Arcanis for accentuating the eyes. I wonder if there is an industry in Arcanis for eyeshadow and mascara to draw attention to the eyes so the plebs know who to grovel to ;)

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:52 pm 

Thanks Cody.

That brings up another point. Do Val Holyrn have a distinctive look? Or do they take after their bloodline powers. I'm sure this has been answered many time before. But I forget.

But rather than wed,
She drowned him instead,

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:00 pm 

In this edition of the game they all have brown hair that runs toward waves or even shaggy curls.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey