Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: About the val'Holryn Family
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:08 am 

Ah, an actual authority on the subject! Joking aside, it's good to see a veteran who's also intrigued by the val'Holryn family. Unfortunately, other than written material, I'm not having too much luck on researching the family (it probably wasn't a good idea to poke around the Citadel for answers, either).

But yes, I 100% agree that the val'Holryn (and the Phoenix Warriors) are much older than the Prince Volthar's reign. I don't think many people can become prince, hold territory, and command an army in the span of a few generations. More than likely, they're about as old as the "big 13" and are just hiding it.

With the Blood War, they could have also participated in a more minor way: other val'Holryn. Assuming that they were around, they wouldn't have any other divine relatives, so they could have sacrificed the weak/infirm of their own family to boost their strength, but this theory is unsupported/major heresy.

For their origin, I can only really speculate alongside you. Children of The Other? Not only would this theory get me killed in most places, it does have a marginal amount of support, as the Other/Umor is said to have gained the support of "degenerate" Valinor, who betrayed the Pantheon. If this were the origin of the val'Holryn, I would see the desire to keep it secret.

The Mentagi is something I would LOVE to get my hands on, if only for resolving their origin. There is also a good chance, as you have mentioned, that the only people who can use it are at the very top i.e. the ducal line. If this is the case, getting access to it would be somewhat difficult.

At this point in time, we could only watch in wonder and wait patiently. Perhaps we just need a certain amount of trust and a Sarishan Oath of Silence to figure it out. Whatever it is, it hopefully shouldn't get us killed.

P.S. When are you going to write your letters?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sigismund Jupiter val'Holryn von Tralia

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:19 pm 

Have you translated the hidden messages in the Blessed Lands book? Those are primarily directed at the val'C ... but the val'Holryn are mentioned as well.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:27 pm 

val Holryn wrote:
Have you translated the hidden messages in the Blessed Lands book? Those are primarily directed at the val'C ... but the val'Holryn are mentioned as well.

Yes, that is where I am basing my assumptions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:05 pm 

The current Duke (Konrad) is the second son of the previous Duke (Victor) who was the second son of the previous Duke (Simon) ... anyone paranoid enough to guess that Simon was Duke somebodies second son? Seems like there is a pattern from the limited data we have.

Where are the first sons? Victor's older brother apparently died after spending a year more or less MIA looking for Duke Simon. And Aeorin disappeared in the War against Canceri, but Henry has disavowed that it was the Sarishian knives that got Aeorin. So who did?

Ymandragore? Or the Obsidiean masks? ,,,

And who is Walker Grey? Henry once said that if we ever find Walker Grey we'll be on track to find Simon...

Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:28 pm 

val Holryn wrote:
And who is Walker Grey? Henry once said that if we ever find Walker Grey we'll be on track to find Simon...

So many stories, so little time. :-(

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:24 pm 

PCIHenry wrote:
val Holryn wrote:

So many stories, so little time. :-(

So, who wants to start a party of val'Holryn, Woodszif, and Ss'ressen to solve this mystery?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:29 am 

oooh ooh. Me. I'll do that! I'll do that!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:50 am 

val Holryn wrote:
oooh ooh. Me. I'll do that! I'll do that!

Excellent.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:49 pm 

Of course I also really need to find out who was the thoughtless woman in green lacquered armor who died too close to my Bookstore for comfort. So many mysteries.

Anyone here know anything about a (female) order of warriors who wear green armor with moon motifs?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:34 pm 

As I was browsing the internet, trying to find bits and pieces of obscure lore, I remembered something.

I COMPLETELY FORGOT ABOUT TRALIA!

Of course, any discussion about the val'Holryn would be incomplete without mentioning their home city! So, let's start with the basics:

Tralia
Population: ~90,000-100,000
Ruler: Duke Konrad val'Holryn
Military: ~500 Knights, 2,500 in wartime
City Guard: ~1000
Cantonial Conscripts: ~17,500-18,000
Exports: Gold, Silver, Iron, Wiskey, Foodstuffs, and Steel Arms and Armor

(Note: I tried my best to cross-reference maps from across the years, so bear with me if I make any mistakes, in addition, Codex Arcanis was used as a source material, seeing how it's information is mostly correct at this point in time.)

This isn't the original city of Tralia: Old Tralia was initially on the opposite side of the Tares River, before it was destroyed by Leonydas val'Virdan after the death of Prince Volthar val'Holryn (time for another archaeology expedition). To the north is Canceri and the Blighted Mire, and, due to their close proximity, you can see that many people here have black hair; a trait common to the Southern Cancerese Nerothians. To the north is the Tares River, making Tralia a prime location for trade. Also to the west is the Sulfur Marsh, home to the Black Talon Ss'ressen. To the south is the ratman-infested Faerwalden Forest, which is avoided by the populace at large. Fun-fact: ratman furs are quite a fashionable alternative to lion, bear, and wolf fur (assuming you get the smell off). Finally, to the east, is the rest of Milandir and the Hinterlands, in the north-east.

The city itself is a center of intellectual and religious significance, as in past years the Arch-prelate of Tralia was the highest authority of the Church in the north. In addition, The Great Library of Tralia itself holds a great number of books within, an excellent place to read up on the many epics and stories of the north.

All in all, Tralia is a vibrant, somewhat affluent city, and would be worth a visit if you're every visiting Milandir.

(If I have made any mistakes, please correct them).

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next