Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rounds and Ticks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:03 am 

I have used a Tick based system before (Exalted); though Exalted did not break the ticks into rounds of 12.

Are there any mechanics tied directly to rounds? Such as a power that does something every round vs a number of ticks. It seems the 12 rounds is (aka clock) is more of a flavor mechanic.

I ask as my group (7 sessions in) has not come across anything and we were talking about a simplification where we just count upwards in ticks with no rounds... as in Exalted. We play online via Roll20 and this ends up being an easier mechanic to manage online vs the clock mechanic.

I want to ensure we are not missing some element or mechanic beyond tracking as a clock.

Cheers,
Barry

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Rounds and Ticks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:55 pm 

I think the number "12" is just a convenience, since most people are used to a "clock" that has 12 numbers on it. You could just as easily have a timing bar that goes to 100, or use groupings of 10 or 20 or whatever you fancy.

The "tick" is the base unit of time. If four people (A, B, C and D) all start at the same time (time 0) and A makes a simple action (2 ticks), B makes a complex action (4 ticks), C takes a trivial action plus a simple action plus a demanding action (1+2+6 = 9 ticks) and D takes a "delay" action (1 tick with interrupt rights), then the pack starts to spread out in terms of when they get to go again. When they all loop back to the beginning is somewhat arbitrary.

I guess the short version of that is, "I don't think you're missing anything," heh.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Rounds and Ticks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:46 pm 

A convenience that is easier for the players to get their heads around. If you can read a time clock, it should be easy to track initiative.

Not such a problem in Rotted Capes which simplifies everything (you can't do greater than 9 ticks in a single action - Demanding + Simple + Trivial).
Arcanis RPG requires a 2 x 12 tick clock (ie: 24 hour layout) as between Speed, Recovery and Strain it is possible to whip around multiple times from a single action (the worst example I have seen was a Speed 14 action with 8 Recovery and 10 strain; completely ludicrous).

My experience is that combats rarely go beyond 24-36 ticks anyway (if they do, something has seriously gone wrong or the Heroes shouldn't be there).

Offline Profile