Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Arcanis 5E Campaign Setting - Copy Disabled
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:03 pm 

Hi Paradigm,

I recently purchased the Arcanis 5E Campaign Setting PDF through drive through. Quality, artwork, layout, etc. of the book is outstanding. The material will probably take a while to go through and probably a year or so playing under to figure out if I like the take 5e take. However, it is certainly a bold move changing/removing so much of the core 5e content and adding so much new.

However, one issue which has been absolutely driving me crazy is the disabling of 'Copy' on the PDF. It is 2018 and I would guess that most players use some type of computer tool for creating character sheets -- PDF, Word, Excel, if not something like Hero Labs. Not to mention DMs having to copy everything. Disabling copy means manually typing everything.

Is there any way to get PDFs which don't have copy disabled?

Thanks,
Brett

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Arcanis 5E Campaign Setting - Copy Disabled
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:46 pm 

Hello Brett,

We turn off the copy functions to our PDFs because back in the D20 days, when we didn't do so, I found twelve people who copied large (and by large I mean entire chapters), of our published products and either incorporated it into their own work or just cobbled together the sections that they wanted (usually rules sections) and put it up for anyone to download.

Since turning off the copy ability, this practice has dropped to zero, as far as I know.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but this is why it's done.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:38 pm 

I would also point out that disabling copy and water marking the art work reduces piracy. Which contrary to internet lore is not a victimless crime. Piracy not only robs the publishers of their property and labor, it robs everbody of furture Arcanis Goodness.

There once was a gnome called Oozy,
Who kissed a Yaricite floozy.
But rather than wed,
She drowned him instead,
Now he is a Yaricite toosey!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:18 am 

Hi Henry and Eric,

I’m sorry that people violated copyright on your previous digital products. I’ll leave it to you to decide whether disabling copy on your materials is a good business decision as this will certainly affect the number of honest Arcanis players who would buy the digital product. I’ll point out that numerous programs can remove the copy protection from the file.

If you wish to copy-disable your products, can I at least ask that you update your product listing on RPGNow and clearly state that the PDF is copy-disabled? t only says “Watermarked”. Given that your previous Shattered Empires PDF wasn’t copy-disabled and included a watermark (with my name), there is every reason existing Arcanis players would assume that this product would operate the similarly.

Thanks,
Brett

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:07 am 

I don’t understand why copy protection would stop sales. Yeah, it’s frustrating now and then when making a character sheet, but you type it once and then you’re done. If you want the book for its content, then you’ll buy it anyways. If copy protection is really enough to keep you from buying it, well... how much did you really want it in the first place?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:25 pm 

FGJustice,

> I don’t understand why copy protection would stop sales.

Players can buy the book, PDF, or both. Main reasons I can think of to buy the PDF are (1) to allow copy-pasting into electronic systems and (2) to have at your table (tablet or laptop) or for online gaming (PC). Maybe getting it early is a reason for some, but that won’t remain once the books are in print. With copy disabling in place, the first reason is moot as one might as well type while reading a book as a copy disabled PDF. The second also becomes questionable. If one enjoys the convenience of having a PDF on a tablet or computer while gaming… one is probably using something other than a dumb character sheet on the tablet or computer and the first reason is going to be an issue for you.

A copy disabled PDF is just another book. Its only main benefit is weight for those who already had a tablet at the table. With cut-and-paste PDFs do offer a substantive benefit over just owning the book.

>… but you type it once and then you’re done

Try stepping back and considering how computers/tables are used in RPGs in 2018. We have moved a long way to just dumb ‘fill in everything’ characters sheets which were primarily printed. We have smart PDFs, Word, and Excel sheets. We have online tools. We have dedicated programs such as HeroLab, PCGen, and others. Most households now own a tablet. We also have online gaming with Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds. People create modules and adventures in Word, Google Docs, or other programs. All of which require (or at least strongly encourage) you for having descriptions for spells, racial traits, feats, etc. We know none of these tools are likely to support Arcanis built-in, nor are their online rules you can cut-and-paste from. Combine all these with a generation used to such tools.

> how much did you really want it in the first place?

Since I wasn’t informed it was copy disabled prior to purchase… I can’t answer that. My group won’t start playing until the manual are out, so… probably not. I don’t see its benefit over just the book. I can say with the previous product I purchased the book and then the PDF. The PDF was terrific and clearly added value for me in being able to cut-and-paste.

Thanks,
Brett

Offline Profile