Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: External Power Source + Item Burnout Threshold
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:22 am 

Hitting some direct contradictions.

Skill Hero. pg19 wrote:
..they must have the External Power Source as well as the Cybernetic or Removable Power Modification.

EPS. pg70 wrote:
...such abilities may only be applied to powers with a burnout value. Unless you're a Tech hero you may only possess as single EPS which multiple powers may tap into.

Also comes up in the Power Armour modification as well.

Not all powers have a Burnout Value, so either Skill Hero or EPS is wrong (or the Skill Hero can only take one item... EVER, severely limiting their options. They would have to junk their old item to add a new one).

On a related note, as The Hero Power Armour modification applies to every power in the suit, the ruling for this also affects the calculation of Burnout Threshold (if it is mandatory for non-burnout powers, the threshold can get quite high; one design hit a burnout threshold of 34 while pottering around).

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: External Power Source + Item Burnout Threshold
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:59 am 

I think it is just poor wording on skill hero. If the power doesn't have a burnout value it doesn't need a power source to use for burnout. As to the power armor issue, I don't count powers without burnout value in the calculation. I've never had them get above 20ish for burnout, but I also don't stack a bunch of rank 1 powers on it either. I could see being cheesy and putting 1 rank of several powers on the power armor to have access to them and only advance those that high ranks matter.

Edit to add: I have found supers can more easily get very high burnout. I built a beat stick type hero with high might and vigor as well as both being enhanced. He started with I believe a 24 burnout, but didn't have many powers to pull from that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:12 pm 

Southernskies wrote:
Hitting some direct contradictions.

Skill Hero. pg19 wrote:
..they must have the External Power Source as well as the Cybernetic or Removable Power Modification.

EPS. pg70 wrote:
...such abilities may only be applied to powers with a burnout value. Unless you're a Tech hero you may only possess as single EPS which multiple powers may tap into.

Also comes up in the Power Armour modification as well.

Not all powers have a Burnout Value, so either Skill Hero or EPS is wrong (or the Skill Hero can only take one item... EVER, severely limiting their options. They would have to junk their old item to add a new one).

Eh, not exactly a contradiction. I had to re-read the rules a while back to cover this subject. Basically, any non Tech-hero is limited to taking only 1 item with an EPS. As you mentioned, not all powers have a Burnout value and can take as many items they can/wish as long as they character is limited to just one EPS'd item.

Mind you, that's during character creation. In a home game post character creation, the GM makes any calls.

Southernskies wrote:
On a related note, as The Hero Power Armour modification applies to every power in the suit, the ruling for this also affects the calculation of Burnout Threshold (if it is mandatory for non-burnout powers, the threshold can get quite high; one design hit a burnout threshold of 34 while pottering around).

I believe that calculating the EPS' burnout threshold is based soley on powers that have Burnout (even if an item has powers with both a Burnout value and without). But don't quote me on that. I'll see if Pedro will come an chime in on this one.

Echo
B-lister, Super Human, Brawler
"Bringing the noise!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:07 am 

EddieS wrote:
I believe that calculating the EPS' burnout threshold is based soley on powers that have Burnout (even if an item has powers with both a Burnout value and without). But don't quote me on that. I'll see if Pedro will come an chime in on this one.

You are 100% correct

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile