Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Judge Rewards
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:53 am 

So we have played through almost all of the modules out there. (Last one next Saturday) The question that we have is about judge rewards. If someone had run all of the modules, they would have a stack of money and experience, but no additional equipment. (We swapped running duties around.)

Is there any provision or plan to allow the GMs to get magic items? After all, you can't buy magic items in 5E.

We have a couple of suggestions:

1. Some modules provide a cert to every character that plays and achieves a specific outcome. Could the DMs also get this reward?

2. In another campaign, the GM gets one magic item per every seven modules that they run, where the item is from any of the modules that they have previously run?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Judge Rewards
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:20 am 

IME judges who eat something big at Arcaniscon and Origins tend to get awarded with "bennies" of some stripe or another. Not sure how it is going to work for GMs with other mods. On the Arcanis RPG side of the shared world, there are at least three mods that give a judge who eats the mod a magic item. It would be nice (and appropriate) for the same to happen on the 5E side.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:44 am 

Adding my voice to this. My group is having a hard time finding folks willing to eat certain modules due to the importance of the rewards either story-wise or mechanically (or both). This is having a serious impact.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:55 am 

Ar'khan Val'Sheem wrote:
Adding my voice to this. My group is having a hard time finding folks willing to eat certain modules due to the importance of the rewards either story-wise or mechanically (or both). This is having a serious impact.

Also, eating a mod only to discover that it had a very important story reward that all players always receive would discourage many from volunteering to GM again. Right or wrong, many worry that future modules will be balanced on the assumption that everyone received these rewards.

5e character:
Ser Heidi val'Tensen, AKA Ser Adelheidis Sigrid val'Tensen of Moratavia

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:49 pm 

Thanks for all the input on this folks, truly. I didn't know that there was any issue around judge rewards and I certainly want to take care of and reward judges. I will check with Paradigm and get a better feel as to what might be possible. I'm not sure if we will be able to make a big change before Origins, but it's definitely on my list to work on.

Again, thanks for the feedback and thank you for running mods!

Kailandos, Keeper of the Word and Soldier of Retribution

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:00 pm 

I'm not sure what's intended or desired for monetary (coin) reward to GM/Volunteers vs. Replaying PCs in 5e since they are the same cert.

Some Volunteer/Replay certs have a printed gold value. That makes sense for GMs to have a fixed value but not replaying PCs. Does that mean for those mods the replaying PCs get the fixed amount regardless of adventure outcome? What if the party wants to otherwise give that PC a larger or smaller share of treasure? I presume they should still get a fair share out of the loot or else a party of one first-time player with the rest of the party as re-players would have the one PC getting *all* the loot.

Some Volunteer/Replay certs have a blank gold value. That makes sense for replaying PCs to go by the same rules as first-time players but not GMs. Does that mean that GMs get 0 gp for running those mods? Do GMs get the exact same treasure as PCs according to what they earned? (If the latter, it's a bad system since GMs are motivated to cheat for PCs to get more treasure or even for all PCs but one to die so the GM gets the max possible loot.) What if PCs intentionally decide to distribute loot unevenly?

Amadi val'Abebi - Monk of Althares
Talathos - choleric Kelekene dabbler

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:54 am 

Auroris wrote:
Thanks for all the input on this folks, truly. I didn't know that there was any issue around judge rewards and I certainly want to take care of and reward judges. I will check with Paradigm and get a better feel as to what might be possible. I'm not sure if we will be able to make a big change before Origins, but it's definitely on my list to work on.

Again, thanks for the feedback and thank you for running mods!

Any update here on availability of specific treasure? Specifically things like HP 9 and HP 13's rewards that went to the entire table?

--- Ryan

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:57 am 

Pedro said that this was going to happen when I talked to him at Origins... but I've seen nothing official in-writing yet.

5e character:
Ser Heidi val'Tensen, AKA Ser Adelheidis Sigrid val'Tensen of Moratavia

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:03 pm 

This issue is still on our list of things to work out. We've all been taking a bit of a break since Origins. But it's still on our radar.

Kailandos, Keeper of the Word and Soldier of Retribution

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:07 pm 

Auroris wrote:
This issue is still on our list of things to work out. We've all been taking a bit of a break since Origins. But it's still on our radar.

getting the core book out the window has sucked all of the air out of the room..

as soon as the core book and blessed lands are in layout I can focus on the campaign a little and get that going again.

I will also be looking for new 5e staff members/assistants

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey