Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Religion in the Pirate Isles
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:04 am 

My character is from the pirate isles. I was wondering how I should define his religious sect for spells like channeling and such. I've gotten some conflicting answers, I just want to know for sure.

Thanks.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Religion in the Pirate Isles
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:51 am 

Pirate Isles is potentially all over the map. But not homogenous. You should pick one that fits your PC. I personally would default to Mother Church for someone who is more or less secular or the Arcanis version of Agnostic.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:59 am 

val Holryn wrote:
Pirate Isles is potentially all over the map. But not homogenous. You should pick one that fits your PC. I personally would default to Mother Church for someone who is more or less secular or the Arcanis version of Agnostic.

Unless you enjoy drinking, partying, carousing, etc. Then it's probably the Milandric Church for you. Kelb recently converted to Milandric :)

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:31 am 

Harliquinn wrote:
val Holryn wrote:

Unless you enjoy drinking, partying, carousing, etc. Then it's probably the Milandric Church for you. Kelb recently converted to Milandric :)

John

Okay this is one of my pet bugbears. The milandesian branch of the mother church (pre schism) was MUCH more socially conservative than their Coryani counterparts. The scroll found on behalf of Elandre have actually moved the Coryani branch closer to the practices in Milandir. On the whole, its my opinion that the coryani outlook is still more libertine.

However "tampering" in any way with illuminated scrolls gave Sabinius (aka the Fat Coryani) a pretext to gain independence ... and whatever virtues Elandre has, she's not a shrewd compromiser (and further has always seen Milandir as a backwater). As a result she fumbled any chance to keep Osric in the fold. If she had been an active part in the crusade she would have been in a position to launch a reconciliation following the deaths of Sabinius and then Osric.

Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:42 am 

val Holryn wrote:
Harliquinn wrote:

John

Okay this is one of my pet bugbears. The milandesian branch of the mother church (pre schism) was MUCH more socially conservative than their Coryani counterparts. The scroll found on behalf of Elandre have actually moved the Coryani branch closer to the practices in Milandir. On the whole, its my opinion that the coryani outlook is still more libertine.<snip>

I agree with Eric. The relative positions of the churches still also have to consider the broader cultures in which they operate. Milandir is still far more conservative than the Coryani Empire. The Mother Church may have reined in some of the excesses for the pious, but I don't see the fundamentals changing.

With a sweep of his...

Hat

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:43 am 

I've heard competing opinions on this and it would be nice to get a PCI response on these. That said, based upon my character's history (Background related to the founding of the scrolls) and the clamping down of Coryan on the excesses, Kelb converted to Milandric Church.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:24 am 

Harliquinn wrote:
I've heard competing opinions on this and it would be nice to get a PCI response on these. That said, based upon my character's history (Background related to the founding of the scrolls) and the clamping down of Coryan on the excesses, Kelb converted to Milandric Church.

John,

Agreed on getting an answer from PCI. Makes sense for Kelb.

With a sweep of his...

Hat

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:55 am 

Remember a few things re: the Mother Church -

1) The Mother Church is not a unified whole, but rather a Confederation of aligned Churches which all have a 'seat' on the 'church council.' I personally view it as close to the United Nations than the United States insofar as how resolutions at the top trickle down into the specific churches.

2) Elandre' is, ultimately, an Illiirite. Her policies are codified in the Church of Illiir, and she seems to be trying to make them carry through to the other churches. But like the debates between the likes of Hiraksu val'Ishi and Nephasser val'Mordane during the First Conclave of the Divine which led to the compromise which exists--in one way or another--to the modern day.

3) Elandre's apparent dislike of Larissans should be fairly well known (at least at higher circles), so many would probably view her efforts in this regard as little more than her targeting those drunken hedonists.

As such, Elandre' is clamping down on the Illiirites, and TRYING (and, from my read, failing) to clamp down on anyone else.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:49 pm 

Harliquinn wrote:

John

Which makes perfect sense. Especially in the pirate isles which are not exactly a religious mecca. Anything that happens on the mainland is going to get distorted through a game of "telephone."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:56 pm 

Nierite wrote:
Remember a few things re: the Mother Church -

1) The Mother Church is not a unified whole, but rather a Confederation of aligned Churches which all have a 'seat' on the 'church council.' I personally view it as close to the United Nations than the United States insofar as how resolutions at the top trickle down into the specific churches.

2) Elandre' is, ultimately, an Illiirite ...snip snip snip ...

As such, Elandre' is clamping down on the Illiirites, and TRYING (and, from my read, failing) to clamp down on anyone else.

I agree with that. Except the Mother Church (not the Temples) controls the Inquisition and the framework that different temples work out their differences. In theory I think the MC is supposed to be the honest broker between temples. Elandre may be slowly undermining that. On the other hand I think Elandre is not just whistling in the wind and IS having a cultural impact. But you are definitely right that the sensates are not just rolling over

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2  Next