Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Is Encali Dwarf Ranger possible?
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:05 pm 

To expand on this question slightly, do any of these racial elements trigger the Hunted by Ymandragore trait (hereafter HbY)?

Encali Dwarves specifically have "Arcane" Training. Val'Mehan cast Wizard rituals and Wizard/Warlock cantrips. Kelekene cast Fire Bolt (an Arcane cantrip). Are all these races HbY based on race even if they otherwise mundane?

If taking Magic Initiate or Ritual Caster for Wizard locks you into the Arcane side of the Arcanum, does it also trigger the HbY trait too?

What about classes that don't mention the trait, are not traditional spellcasters, but get spells like Totem Barbarian or Monk of the Four Elements? Totem Barbarian would probably be Primal anyway, but MotFE certainly uses their Ki to manifest otherwise Arcane spells. Are any of these classes HbY despite not having the Spellcasting class feature?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:15 am 

CoryaniRebel wrote:
To expand on this question slightly, do any of these racial elements trigger the Hunted by Ymandragore trait (hereafter HbY)?

Encali Dwarves specifically have "Arcane" Training. Val'Mehan cast Wizard rituals and Wizard/Warlock cantrips. Kelekene cast Fire Bolt (an Arcane cantrip). Are all these races HbY based on race even if they otherwise mundane?

If taking Magic Initiate or Ritual Caster for Wizard locks you into the Arcane side of the Arcanum, does it also trigger the HbY trait too?

What about classes that don't mention the trait, are not traditional spellcasters, but get spells like Totem Barbarian or Monk of the Four Elements? Totem Barbarian would probably be Primal anyway, but MotFE certainly uses their Ki to manifest otherwise Arcane spells. Are any of these classes HbY despite not having the Spellcasting class feature?

That has a lot of points in it. I'm no one official. So I can't answer that. But I can tell you that Harvester can go after anyone they want. Just because you don't have Hunted by Ymandragore doesn't mean you are safe.
In the past, Harvesters captured many things.
1) an entire Enclave of Dwarves (some were experimented on, some worked using their gifts for making wondrous items, and some became Harvesters themselves.)
2) Dwarf soul shards belonging to strong Arcane users
3) Val Psionists
4) Elorii (for study of their immortality and elemental nature)
5) arcane magical creatures, divine beings, and infernals have all been captured or in service before.
Basically any magic in any form, a person, an item, or an exotic active spell, could be of interest to them.

To me Harvesters and Ymandragore has always been the boogeyman that everyone knows about. They come at any time and take what they want, you don't get told why. Sure there have been some push back against them, some quite spectacular, but no one nation or race can be said to be a threat to Ymandragore, so everyone (including heroes) lives in fear of them.
Hunted by Ymandragore means you know you have a target on your back.
It doesn't help that there is so many factors, so you don't know if you are dealing with a rogue Harvester, or if this is a sanctioned incursion onto the main land.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:39 am 

While all that is true, and Harvesters in any particular mod may go after any of those groups, there are specific rules attached to the HbY trait.

People with that trait must track their Harvester notice points, possibly triggering a Harvesting encounter. People with that trait are taken if the encounter goes poorly while others are merely "left for dead."

Add the already mentioned multiclassing restrictions certainly make this something that needs further guidance.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:53 pm 

Wow, I'm sorry this fell off my radar. There are a lot of good questions here and I will delve into them when I'm not on my phone at lunch. More info coming before Origins.

Kailandos, Keeper of the Word and Soldier of Retribution

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:45 pm 

No one official, but this is my take:

Sorcerer-Priests have never been targeted in the past and are not now targeted in the A:RPG rule set. While this could maybe change in 5E I wouldn't expect it too. I believe that SP is "divine enough" that if your faith in Sarish is broken, then you can't effectively cast spells. Which would make them of little use to the aisle. And ... If nothing else Loshnek seems to spend a goodly amount of time in a Cold Peace monitoring the Isle of Tears and its "Tyrant" ... and I believe he likely gets irritated when harvesters remove "his pawns."

Using a feat to tap into arcane IMO should also attract the attention of Harvesters.

IMO Val Mehan should not be Hunted for gaining cantrips/spells through bloodline abilities. It's mostly biological and (IMO) there are no potential breakthroughs there on the road to immortality. (Maybe once upon a time there were, but capturing and "eating" a valinor has to trump this to the umpteeth degree).

I think the Encali are the toughest to offer an opinion on. It seems their magic is learned and not inate. That argues that Ymandragore might be interested in them if they were Eldritch casters. That said I believe Sorcerer-Priests are not hunted. So if their powers come out of the SP tradition (which seems possible) then I believe they aren't widely hunted.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2