Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Chargen questions
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:21 pm 

Just want to confirm that my reading of the Primer and the PHB is correct (first experience with 5e):

1. The acolyte background loses both the bonus languages granted by the PHB and instead receives only a single language based on their church.

2. Val of noble birth whom take the Soldier background but replace its feature with the Noble background feature are still illiterate.

3. A val'Tensen noble acolyte with a 10 Int from Moratavia would most likely only know Milandisian, High Coryani, and Altharin, but she would be literate.

5e character:
Ser Heidi val'Tensen, AKA Ser Adelheidis Sigrid val'Tensen of Moratavia

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Chargen questions
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:48 am 

Nobody official, but this matches my reading of the rules, though I'd suggest Low Coryani instead of High Coryani.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:33 pm 

Heidi val'Tensen wrote:
Just want to confirm that my reading of the Primer and the PHB is correct (first experience with 5e):

1. The acolyte background loses both the bonus languages granted by the PHB and instead receives only a single language based on their church.

2. Val of noble birth whom take the Soldier background but replace its feature with the Noble background feature are still illiterate.

3. A val'Tensen noble acolyte with a 10 Int from Moratavia would most likely only know Milandisian, High Coryani, and Altharin, but she would be literate.

Hi Heidi,

I'm no one on the official team, but I may be able to help answer your Q's.

1). Yes, that seems to be the case.

2). Rules mechanics, you are correct, but it would not surprise me if this may change come the Arcanis 5e Players' Guide when it releases (as well as one can give up a known language to gain literacy).

3). Correct.

Echo
B-lister, Super Human, Brawler
"Bringing the noise!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:51 pm 

To remind:

1) Milandisian is the vernacular language of Milandir and large parts of Almeric.

2) High Coryani is the "High" language of the Coryani Empire, derived from the dominant language of the city of Medea Tridueae (Old Coryan) when the Empire was founded. However, as the Empire expanded, while it continued to be the language of state, the common vernacular/trade tongue of the Empire became Low Coryani, which is more of a creole of the various languages of the Empire. Think of High Coryani as Latin in the middle ages, and Low Coryani as the various "Vulgur Latin" forms that eventually became French, Spanish, Romanian, etc.

3) Altherian is the "Mother Tongue" from which all major human languages descend and is the Gift of Althares to Man (one of the 12 given when the Gods left Onara). The Republic of Altheria has preserved the language, and it was the official 'common tongue' of the First Imperium. You could maybe equate this with Greek during the Middle Ages, but honestly a closer version in our world would be Proto-Indoeuropean.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:12 pm 

+nods+ I recall. Basically, Milandisian is the national language, High Coryani is the free language (because as a noble I imagine that this is what she would speak most often - back in the d20 days the genry feat made any noble replace low coryani with high coryani as a free language, and they had to spend skill points for low coryani), and Altharin is the church language (from Acolyte). Plus literacy.

Not having low coryani is going to kinda suck though... might be forced to drop a more important stat to get two points into intelligence :( - but it would be hard to justify a noble not knowing the language of the nobility.

Nowhere near as many languages as could be had back in d20 when it was by skill points, and with feats only being once every four levels (and sacrificing important ability boosts to get them) extra languages will be hard to get. That'll really enforce the class-divide.

Back in the days of d20, a speaker of low coryani and a speaker of high coryani couldn't communicate. I imagine that that hasn't changed? I can understand and support a decision either way on that.

5e character:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:01 am 

Heidi val'Tensen wrote:

1) No, that's incorrect. The acolyte background gives you an additional language based on your church.

2) That is correct and we can update that. Noble birth should grant literacy. I will double check and make sure that is true and then add to the Primer if necessary.

3) Yep, that seems legit.

Kailandos, Keeper of the Word and Soldier of Retribution

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:36 pm 

In the PHB the Acolyte background receives two bonus languages of the player's choosing. The primer states that any section (such as languages) replaces that section in the PHB background. It then lists only a single language (based on church) under Acolyte Languages.

Are you saying that Altherin (for Pantheon of Man) is meant to be an extra in addition to the two languages granted by Acolyte in the PHB?

5e character:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:51 pm 

Quote:
Languages: You learn an additional language depending upon which pantheon your character served while in the church. Altharin (Pantheon of Man), Ssethric (Ssethric pantheon), or Eloran (Elorii pantheon)

The way that I read it is that you receive an additional language on top of what is provided by the background. So yes, you would receive Altherin and 2 more.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:57 am 

Heidi val'Tensen wrote:
In the PHB the Acolyte background receives two bonus languages of the player's choosing. The primer states that any section (such as languages) replaces that section in the PHB background. It then lists only a single language (based on church) under Acolyte Languages.

Are you saying that Altherin (for Pantheon of Man) is meant to be an extra in addition to the two languages granted by Acolyte in the PHB?

The intent is definitely to add to what the acolyte receives from the PHB. We will add that clarification to our list of Primer updates.

Kailandos, Keeper of the Word and Soldier of Retribution

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:53 pm 

Auroris wrote:
Heidi val'Tensen wrote:

The intent is definitely to add to what the acolyte receives from the PHB. We will add that clarification to our list of Primer updates.

But Elorii will automatically speak Eloran already, so it seems redundant. Also Altherian natives will speak Altherin as their regional language. Do PHB rules that state that you can replace a duplicate language or proficiency with another of your choice still apply?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2  Next