Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Character Creation Walk-Thru?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:42 am 

Hi,

I'm very new to the forums, I wasn't part of the original KS for Rotten Capes but bought the book at Gen Con 3 yrs ago. I never get around to trying it out and with the new KS running, I wanted to really learn the game! Love the setting and before I get into the mechanics of the game, I need to learn character creation first.

I saw there was a post for a Combat walk-thru which was awesome and a saw a post for general Character Creation questions but didn't see a post for an actual Character Creation Walk-Thru (point by point). I did see a member that posted his three heroes but it again didn't show the creation, point by point.

Could one of the authors of the game post an exact character creation of maybe "One Man Mob" pg.166 in the Core book, as an example?

I guess what I need to see are the actual points spent each time to get to 150 points (as that is a Delta Level character) to wrap it around my brain.

One thing that throws me is buying Skills, IF I don't buy a Skill Set, I have to buy them from Rank 1, up, unlike Attributes which you get 3 Ranks at no cost. Also Powers have to be bought at Rank 1 (I know you get a better deal if it's a Primary Power, for cost). Attribute buying I get, it's Skills and Powers that kinda slow me down in processing.

A YouTube video of different character creations would be so helpful to new players like me, I searched and didn't see anything.

Thanks again!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Character Creation Walk-Thru?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:27 pm 

I'll see what I can do about those videos!

But for now - what about skill slow you down? The thing about skills is they're not going to be as high as a lot of attributes. Very rarely will you see someone with a skill that is ranked 10+ starting out. Starting out, it's very common to have a lot of skills at 1 point or 2 points. Normally, someone will have a skill that defined their character at like 4 or 5 points. Again, this is standard.

The way you purchase them is the same way you purchase powers. For a level 1 skill, it's 1 point. To increase that to a level 2 skill, you would spend 2 points. To increase that to level 3, you would spend 3 points. So! To get a level 3 skill, it would cost you six points in total. To increase a skill, you always pay the cost of the next level. So if you have a level 3 skill and want to increase it to level 4 - you spend 4 points.

This goes the same with powers. Now, powers can get pretty high. You would buy them the same way. Level 1 power is 1 point. To increase that to 2, it's 2 points. To increase that to three, it's three more points. Again, six in total.

The great thing about powers is you can add 'perks' and limitations to them (pg 70). A Flaw will increase the level of the power. A Perk will decrease the level of the power. The reason for this is because a flaw limits the power in some way but to reward you fro this limitation, you get free additional levels to the power. A perk decreases the level of a power. The reason for this is while the power level is lower, you get an extra benefit.

Let's do an example:

Say you have Energy Blast 5. You love to shoot fire. You want to increase that but you lack the points to do so. So, you turn to page 70 and look for a flaw. You spot the Conditional Flaw (a +2 Flaw). What this flaw does is requires a condition to be met in order to use the power. You decide that you can only use Energy Blast when in direct sun light. Because you took this limit, you add +2 to your Energy Blast thus making the level 7. It's more powerful but there will be times you can't use the power.

Let's do an example with a perk:

Say you have Energy Blast 8. Your character shoots electricity. Right now, you can do a lot of damage but you want your electricity to also stun people when they're hit. You go to page 70, look through the perks and flaws, and see Secondary Effect (pg 72). It says you can add the stun condition to all Energy Blast attacks... but the Perk is -2. What does this mean? Well, it means your Energy Blast 8 turns into Energy Blast 6.

At no time are you spending creation points when adding flaws and perks to a power. They either take away from the power level or increase the power level. Simple math.

Does that clear up some things?

Last edited by TheMindfulFool on Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:35 pm 

Simple Chart:

Okay, I made a chart for creation point costs. Mind you, this is not for individual levels. This is for when you say "hey, I want to buy a level 5 skill/power. How much will that cost me to get to level 5. ALSO note I only counted up to 10. Past 10, you'll need to do you own math :D

Skill Character Creation Cost. NOTE: This is how much IN TOTAL things will cost. So, look at this chart if you want to avoid the math for buying a certain number for a skill. Again, this is not the individual cost for each level:

Level 1 ------- 1
Level 2 ------- 3
Level 3 ------- 6
Level 4 ------- 10
Level 5 ------- 15
Level 6 ------- 21
Level 7 ------- 28
Level 8 ------- 36
Level 9 ------- 45
Level 10 ------- 55

Powers Character Creation Cost. NOTE: This is how much IN TOTAL things will cost. So, look at this chart if you want to avoid the math for buying a certain number for a power levels. Again, this is not the individual cost for each level:

Level 1 ------- 1
Level 2 ------- 3
Level 3 ------- 6
Level 4 ------- 10
Level 5 ------- 15
Level 6 ------- 21
Level 7 ------- 28
Level 8 ------- 36
Level 9 ------- 45
Level 10 ------- 55

Primary Powers Character Creation Cost. NOTE: This is how much IN TOTAL things will cost. So, look at this chart if you want to avoid the math for buying a certain number for a power levels. Again, this is not the individual cost for each level:

Level 1 ------- 1
Level 2 ------- 2
Level 3 ------- 4
Level 4 ------- 7
Level 5 ------- 11
Level 6 ------- 16
Level 7 ------- 22
Level 8 ------- 29
Level 9 ------- 37
Level 10 ------- 46

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:42 pm 

Thank you for your responses and charts, this helps alot!

Funny, I started to create a chart for buying skills and attributes so I became clearer with skills as per your example above.

Primary Powers just started to mess with me but your chart above was what I now needed. :)

You did teach me something else, I misunderstood Power Modifications (Flaws and Perks)! Thank you for the extra mention about them. I really do love this setting and so glad someone was able to help me understand the rules better. :)

My biggest thing is, I want to run this game for my friends and then once I really get a hang of it, I would try to GM the game online or a convention once I've really got the rules down. Spreading the word, like Fandible has done with their podcast, as I really love how the Rotted Capes theme presents itself.

I may run into another question down the line but it's great to know the forum is so helpful. Thanks again!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:22 pm 

I just realized -

For the skill chart, you need to remember you START with Universal Skills. So, you need to subtract 1 point from each of those. These are only for a few skills like ... Urban Survival and Local Knowledge. There are a few more but can't name them off the top of my head.

And I'm glad you like our podcast :D We have a good time with the game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:36 pm 

Yup, I had known about starting with the Universal skills, Drive and Technology were the other two. :)

I just finished your podcast for all the Rotten Capes gameplay, will you guys being doing another soon or after we get the Survivor's Guide?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:35 pm 

I spent WAY too long learning these rules to just give up playing it! Of course we have more Rotted Capes. We actually have two different games running. Same world but one takes place around Kansas. The other takes place in the Rocky Mountains. At the end of the month, another part of the game I'm running will be posted.

As for Jesus' game, he has a lot planned still. The PCs need to figure how to get into Nightbane Prison and survive!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:38 pm 

Awesome to hear! Yeah, I'm feeling the same way with learning the game, already put alot of effort in learning the creation of characters.

Once I get into the rules and gameplay, there is no looking back! :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:36 pm 

I feel a little bit of the overwhelming. I am trying to get my head wrapped around the game but I am probably going to have to help 5 people make up characters. I have read through the rule book once and I am currently listening to fandible of them playing to try and get the rules down cleaner.

A fillable in character sheet with point calculations would be awesome :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:40 pm 

I'm using a custom xls spreadsheet currently (a Tech Hero needs a lot of adjustments as your work).

If I get a break later today, I might put together a build sheet for hand-working.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2  Next