Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: a few mechanics questions that came up last night...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:47 pm 

• With the 2 tick ready weapon action, can you ready more than one weapon? The wording is vague - it explicitly says you can only ready a single weapon when doing so as part of a cautious advance but is not explicit on taking the separate 2 tick action. Does Quick Draw change the answer at all?
  • For creating Advanced Combat Maneuvers, you use the speed of the slower maneuver and add the speed of the faster maneuver as extra recovery. Does the recovery of the faster maneuver get added as well? I couldn't find anywhere that specified this (rulebook or errata).
  • Can you combine multiple trivial actions with another action? For example, could I incidental move 5', command a companion (with the talent making it trivial), quick draw 2 weapons, and Sweeping Strike for a total of speed+6 (or thereabouts)?

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: a few mechanics questions that came up last night...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:54 pm 

wilcoxon wrote:
  • With the 2 tick ready weapon action, can you ready more than one weapon? The wording is vague - it explicitly says you can only ready a single weapon when doing so as part of a cautious advance but is not explicit on taking the separate 2 tick action. Does Quick Draw change the answer at all?

My Read is that you can only draw a single weapon/shield as part of a 2 tick ready action. If you have Quickdraw (ta), you can change that to a Trivial (1 Tick) action, meaning it can be combined with another action, so you can get TWO weapons out as a 2 tick action with Quickdraw (ta). To clarify, both 'draws' become 1 tick, and since a Trivial Action can be combined with another action, 1 Tick + Trivial = 2 Ticks.

Quote:
  • For creating Advanced Combat Maneuvers, you use the speed of the slower maneuver and add the speed of the faster maneuver as extra recovery. Does the recovery of the faster maneuver get added as well? I couldn't find anywhere that specified this (rulebook or errata).

• If you were combining a Technique which had +3(3) with one with +2(2) the final speed/recovery would be +3(5). The faster movements recovery disappears into the ether.

Quote:
  • Can you combine multiple trivial actions with another action? For example, could I incidental move 5', command a companion (with the talent making it trivial), quick draw 2 weapons, and Sweeping Strike for a total of speed+6 (or thereabouts)?

• No. Incidental can be combined with any action, but you can only add a single Trivial Action to another action. As such, you can incidental 5', quick draw a single weapon, and make an attack.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
    Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
    Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:15 pm 

Nierite wrote:
    wilcoxon wrote:
    [*]Can you combine multiple trivial actions with another action? For example, could I incidental move 5', command a companion (with the talent making it trivial), quick draw 2 weapons, and Sweeping Strike for a total of speed+6 (or thereabouts)?[/list]

No. Incidental can be combined with any action, but you can only add a single Trivial Action to another action. As such, you can incidental 5', quick draw a single weapon, and make an attack.

Can you combine a trivial action with another trivial action as the full action (so say quick draw 2 weapons as a 2 tick action)? Then next action, incidental move, command companion, and attack.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:38 pm 

A trivial action is an action, as specified above. As such, you can combine. As such, you may Quickdraw, Quickdraw another weapon for 2 ticks.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
    Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
    Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:27 am 

There couple of questions that came up over the convention this weekend that I wanted to ask.

1) When using two weapon fighting using the talent, is it possible to separate your incidental movement allowance before, after and during the two attacks. For example, can I attack with my primary weapon, advance my clock 1 tick, then incidental 5' and attack with IFC hand, then 5' again? The rules for incidental seem general enough to allow thus.

[EDIT] After referring to the Errata, it is mentioned Two-Weapon Fighting is considered 2 Actions. Given that ruling, is then possible to take Incidental Movement with both attacks since they are separate actions? Example: Incidental 10', take your first attack, incidental 10', take your second attack? It would seem that is the case if they are indeed 2 actions.

2) Is there an implicit rule that spells which affect a sect do not work in mindless creatures, such as murders and undead? Is it also limited to humanoids? For instance, Forced Reverance lists a Special (Restriction) to that effect. Channeling does not. If a spell mentioning religious sect is always implicitly limited to humanoids following a sect, it should be added to the magic section general rules. Some sect spells (Dictum) mention intelligence required but not humanoids.

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
    "The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:30 pm 

I believe the definition of sects and religion found under smite heretic, is the definitive set of rules regarding sects.

At tables I run, channeling does not affect: animals, or anything with the bestial intellect flaw, swarms(in theory it could but i haven't seen one yet), if it does not have the faculty to worship, then its not affected.

its a good spell but its not supposed to be the best damage spell

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:13 pm 

I'm cool with that. I just would like a single, comprehensive definition for it. The main differences seem to be humanoids or not.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
    "The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:02 pm 

well if you can think of a humanoid that does not have the ability to worship, i would be interested.

however, there are probably some non humanoids that also have the ability to worship, such as ilhuan (they are classified as vermin), i would argue that anything with greater than bestial intellect( with the exception of murders) can worship something

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:10 pm 

SamhainIA wrote:
    well if you can think of a humanoid that does not have the ability to worship, i would be interested.

however, there are probably some non humanoids that also have the ability to worship, such as ilhuan (they are classified as vermin), i would argue that anything with greater than bestial intellect( with the exception of murders) can worship something

That is all I'm asking. Sometimes when Sect is referenced, the limitation is "Intelligent humanoid" (Forced Reverence) and sometimes it's just "Intelligent" (Censure Heretics, Smite Heretic).

I'm guessing it's just supposed to be "Intelligent" since the infernal cults are listed.

===

Different note, what are your thoughts on my question around TWF? If TWF is considered 2 actions, does it make sense to take separate Incidental Movement for both attacks, up to 20' (10' for both attacks)?

John

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:21 pm 

Harliquinn wrote:
    Different note, what are your thoughts on my question around TWF? If TWF is considered 2 actions, does it make sense to take separate Incidental Movement for both attacks, up to 20' (10' for both attacks)?

If I was GMing, I'd rule you could only incidental once (5' or 10') somewhere in the TWF action.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2  Next