Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Understanding a non gold focused economy and 5e.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:54 pm 

So I am actually trying to do something similar to A:RG with my home game. I'd like to re focus the economy on Silver and Electrum. In 5e Electurm is worth 1/2 a gold piece. It takes ten silver to equal a gold though.

The base items are very easy to edit prices as they are static items for the most part and non magical, or low magic things. When moving higher on the totem pool though, for common magic items and then uncommon. I've strongly considered just leaving them mostly as is for pricing. Thus reflecting the need to find them during quests, rather than trying to buy them. Or if you see one but cant afford it, offer services of some kind in exchange for it.

So the easiest way to do this is to just reduce the standard quest rewards to not include gold, and include some kind of bump to copper, silver and electrum. This seems the easiest way to do this.

So I am curious if the 5E arcanis will simulate the A:RG money system where gold isn't as easily acquired as silver and copper? Also if it does, I'd love to barrow from it for my home game, potentially.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Understanding a non gold focused economy and 5e.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:15 pm 

I have not looked in depth at the 5e mods (already making my response suspect) but D&D's economy is hard baked into the rule set. And it's baked in at a different setting than A:RPG. So I don't think you are going to find it easy to translate the two directly.

But I do have a suggestion if you want to make a superficial change that mirrors Arcanis' "Silver Standard." Use two different sized silver coins to reflect D&Ds silver piece and gold piece. Historically different sized (silver) coins often happens.

Thus you would have a small "dime" sized silver coin to represent the silver piece, and a "silver dollar" (aka the Baht, Imperial, Crown, Owl, Sail etc) sized coin for the gold piece. (You could then use gold pieces instead of platinum pieces to continue on)

It might be worthwhile. But it might also cause headaches translating everything.

Just a thought.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:29 pm 

Since D&D is 'decimal' and A:RPG is 'centimal' the scaling just isn't there for an easy conversion.

D&D: 1gp = 10sp = 100cp
A:RPG: 1gc = 100 sc = 10000cc

The 'easiest' way is to price everything in 5e to the silver standard and only use the word 'gold' in relationship to the setting.
viewtopic.php?p=11717#p11717

eg: instead of saying "the merchant will sell that to you for 30gp", you say "the merchant will sell that to you for 300 decus (sp). He will accept 3 Milandisian Crowns or Altherian Owls (3gc) but not Bahts or Imperials."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:57 pm 

val Holryn wrote:
I have not looked in depth at the 5e mods (already making my response suspect) but D&D's economy is hard baked into the rule set. And it's baked in at a different setting than A:RPG. So I don't think you are going to find it easy to translate the two directly.

But I do have a suggestion if you want to make a superficial change that mirrors Arcanis' "Silver Standard." Use two different sized silver coins to reflect D&Ds silver piece and gold piece. Historically different sized (silver) coins often happens.

Thus you would have a small "dime" sized silver coin to represent the silver piece, and a "silver dollar" (aka the Baht, Imperial, Crown, Owl, Sail etc) sized coin for the gold piece. (You could then use gold pieces instead of platinum pieces to continue on)

It might be worthwhile. But it might also cause headaches translating everything.

Just a thought.

Southernskies wrote:
Since D&D is 'decimal' and A:RPG is 'centimal' the scaling just isn't there for an easy conversion.

D&D: 1gp = 10sp = 100cp
A:RPG: 1gc = 100 sc = 10000cc

The 'easiest' way is to price everything in 5e to the silver standard and only use the word 'gold' in relationship to the setting.
viewtopic.php?p=11717#p11717

eg: instead of saying "the merchant will sell that to you for 30gp", you say "the merchant will sell that to you for 300 decus (sp). He will accept 3 Milandisian Crowns or Altherian Owls (3gc) but not Bahts or Imperials."

These are both good ideas and essentially would allow me to do this without the headache of actually doing it. While I can easily work up some currency to replace the standards and their names. How do you rationalize a merchant refusing coin though? I mean if i go to my local drive thru, they have signs for certain denominations of bills not excepted at certain times of day...

Merchants in a mostly medieval setting though.. I mean i guess I could say they don't want to go to the money changer an extra time this week than their normal amount. Or I could say they have no interest in lugging around all that silver and copper coinage.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:10 pm 

Well in our olden days coins were of different purity at different times and places. Various rulers would debase coins to try and get out out of debts on the cheap ...just like some countries try to manipulate their currencies today. Before Isaac Newton took over the English Mint in the Tower of London (along with doing some other things like revolutionizing math and physics...) the English silver coins were notoriously debased and not worth much of anything outside of England.

So it potentially makes perfect sense not to accept "Bahts" if you think the silver content tends to be low in Canceri coins.

In game terms almost no one wants that level of detail unless you want that to be a major plot point in the campaign. A coin is a coin except for the odd bit of flavor.

Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:52 pm 

Coinage problems are a certed reward in one game; very difficult to get changed for more acceptable coins.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:25 pm 

I think Rex is talking about a home game. Agreed, you really can't monkey around with the currencies in a shared world campaign.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:26 pm 

val Holryn wrote:
I think Rex is talking about a home game. Agreed, you really can't monkey around with the currencies in a shared world campaign.

OR CAN YOU! MWAHAHAHAHA, lol..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:17 am 

Just a side note:

With the Arcanis 5e Core Rulebook I expect to change the coin system to match ARG.

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:45 pm 

PCI_StatMonkey wrote:
Just a side note:

With the Arcanis 5e Core Rulebook I expect to change the coin system to match ARG.

Awesome, I may or may not, totally plagerize your item prices and associated cost changes for my own Home Game. I'm trying to do the math on my own and its mind numbing. So props to y'all for being able to do such!

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2  Next