Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Setting Sail
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:41 am 

I think this game needs rules for sailing and ship combat. As well as travel times by sea. Thoughts?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Setting Sail
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:55 am 

As much as I'd love to see rules for high seas adventures in witch hunter, I'm not sure they fit the scope of the game on their own. As part of a treatment of the Caribbean or "mysterious islands", sure! Definitely. But I don't think it's worthy of being a spotlight mechanic. But hey, I'm just one guy. And I do love me some high seas adventures.

I understand one of the old WH living campaign adventures features naval rules, but we're easily abused. Something about Eldritch blast being better than cannons, which shouldn't be the case.

Now, travel times by sea? Sure! Also, ocean passages through the invisible world would be really cool to explore. The Sargasso Sea? The Bermuda Triangle? Yes, please!

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:17 pm 

I was reading about Port Royal in Cities of Mysteries when it occurred to me with all the back and forth between the New and Old Worlds that to some extent some book space should be devoted to sea. Between pirate adventures in the Carribean to just the overall dangers that the sea would present due to sea monsters I think something on ships and the sea would be fun. A better idea of the types of vessels that are in use, how combat might work, sea monsters ........sea monsters ..... unique challenges presented by sailing ....sea monsters ....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:19 am 

Oh, sea monsters, forgotten uncharted islands full of terrors, and getting around the Caribbean would be great stuff for Witch Hunter. I'm just not sure it would be worthy of a fully devoted sourcebook.

You could probably throw something together pretty easy, though. Ships of the era can be cribbed from any number of period games (Pirates of the Spanish Main, 7th Sea, Flashing Blades). I would probably give each ship a set of Physical Attributes (Strength, Agility, Toughness). You'd want to know the approx. number of guns, which you could either combine or split for volleys of damage and the # of rounds required between volleys. Wounds could track just like characters (Nicked, Wounded, Dying). You'd probably want a handful of Talents around sea travel. Finally, you'd want speed and maybe maneuverability. There. You're done.

I think this sort of thing would make a cool PDF supplement or a rules expansion in an adventure path like Legion Cycle. And don't get me wrong, if PCI/AAE rolled out a High Seas Witch Hunter book, they would have my money. But I think pairing it with a good series of adventures would really help sell it. Just my thoughts anyway.

Tom

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:20 pm 

I don't mind pairing it with adventures. Though I think a high seas book would sell well in its own right. Hell, if they do another KS maybe a sea rules expansion could be pitched as a possible stretch goal.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:22 pm 

Dace wrote:
Hell, if they do another KS maybe a sea rules expansion could be pitched as a possible stretch goal.

Excellent idea!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:17 pm 

Blusponge wrote:
Dace wrote:
Hell, if they do another KS maybe a sea rules expansion could be pitched as a possible stretch goal.

Excellent idea!

Now to get them to do another KS. I'm hoping it's for a book on the Orders ....with a pledge level that would let me turn my Ethiopian Order into the real deal :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:04 am 

Rather than wait for a Kickstarter, why don't you contact Eric and see if he's interested in freelance contributions.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:44 pm 

Blusponge wrote:
Rather than wait for a Kickstarter, why don't you contact Eric and see if he's interested in freelance contributions.

I've pitched the idea to him about wanting to write on some diversity stuff for the game. Never heard back though. :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:48 am 

Dace wrote:
Blusponge wrote:

I've pitched the idea to him about wanting to write on some diversity stuff for the game. Never heard back though. :(

Me neither. Though given the last year, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest Eric is just a busy guy.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2  Next