Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Character Creation and the Blessed Lands book
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:54 pm 

I have a question about character creation and one of the new backgrounds that exist in the Blessed Lands book. Initiate to the Divine Trinity/Death Mongers.

I want to build a character with the Divine Archetype and this Background.

When I select the Divine Archetype I receive 1 rank in my deity's skill, Armor Training in my deity's armor, and Weapon Training in my deity's weapon.

My question is what is a Death Monger's favourite skill, weapon, and armor?

Heal, Quarter staff, and any Cuirass if I pick Beltine
Knowledge: Religion, Scythe and Hand Scythe, and any Curiass if I pick Neroth
Etiquette, Dagger, and any Cuirass if I pick Sarish
Or
1 of Heal, Knowledge: Religion, or Etiquette, Spear, and Chainmail as per the Death Mongers

I know they are treated differently when it comes to spells, so it makes sense they should be treated differently when it comes to favored skill, weapon and armor.

My question also extends to the advancement option Gain 1 Rank to a single Trained Arcanum Skill, your Deity's favored skill, and Knowledge (Religion).

Thanks in advance.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Character Creation and the Blessed Lands book
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:47 pm 

Don't have the book handy, but their weapon and armour are the ones listed in their background. Their skill is. . Pick one of the three gods and that is the one you get (choice of 1 of 3). Also remember, Death Mongers worship the divine Trinity, not each goday individually. You must choose deity spells from the Divine Trinity list (the trinity as a whole is considered to be a single god).

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:51 pm 

Thanks for the answer. That's what I though but I wasn't sure.

When I got to spell selection. I came across more.

Benediction of the Gods
Sanctify Weapon
Ward against the Unnatural

All have specific effects based on the Deity you worship.
Does a Worshipper of the Divine Trinity count as all three simultaneously?
i.e. can they give the Benediction of Sarish to themselves, the Benediction of Neroth to the Elder caster, and Benediction of Beltine to the Psion?
When they cast Ward against the Unnatural do they receive the bonus +2 to Passive Arcanum Value regardless of the type of creature they are warding?
i.e. In one combat they cast it to ward against corporal undead and receive the +2, then in the next battle they cast it again to ward against infernals and corporal undead and receive the +2 to both types.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:06 am 

The Vault wrote:
When I got to spell selection. I came across [several spells that] have specific effects based on the Deity you worship.
Does a Worshipper of the Divine Trinity count as all three simultaneously?

Here is my recommendation. This is not official but is what I would use in a home campaign in a lack of other rulings.

All Death Mongers must start with one preferred role of the three: the Father (Neroth), the Mother (Beltine), or the Offspring (Sarish). Initially, all deity-based choices, such as spells, weapons, armor, and skill advancement (for the Divine archetype) are based upon that deity; and their first stage in the Death Monger Priest path must choose the talent corresponding to that initially chosen deity. The character's role-choices in the second and third stages in the Death Monger Priest path each determine not only the path's granted talent but also open the options of spells and skill advancement for that deity; however, weapon and armor talents are not automatically granted by that path and must be taken separately.

Amadi val'Abebi - Monk of Althares
Talathos - choleric Kelekene dabbler

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:01 pm 

From my understanding of what Henry has said on the matter, the Deathmongers are functionally priests of all three deities, and the 'advancement' is more of a social construct than a magical one. As such, my ruling is that they gain access to all three. The Divine Trinity is a unique form of Pantheonistic worship, and they gain certain benefits from that unique worship form.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:29 pm 

Dante wrote:
All Death Mongers must start with one preferred role of the three: the Father (Neroth), the Mother (Beltine), or the Offspring (Sarish). Initially, all deity-based choices, such as spells, weapons, armor, and skill advancement (for the Divine archetype) are based upon that deity; and their first stage in the Death Monger Priest path must choose the talent corresponding to that initially chosen deity. The character's role-choices in the second and third stages in the Death Monger Priest path each determine not only the path's granted talent but also open the options of spells and skill advancement for that deity; however, weapon and armor talents are not automatically granted by that path and must be taken separately.

Death Monger armor and weapons are different from any of the three deities. From what I remember, armor = any chain and weapon = short spear.

As to the rest, I think Cody's ruling is much closer to the intent implied by Henry's answer about deity skill (you can choose any of the three).

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:54 pm 

Hi all

Sorry to necro the thread but I have a new player wanting to make a Death Monger character. he is not looking at the DM background however

I have included his email below.

Dean:
Now that I've been able to look at the blessed lands book, the death monger religion still looks pretty tempting to me for my character concept, particularly if I was a convert to the religion... I'm not completely sure how it would work though...

First of all am I allowed to follow the religion despite having been born outside the region, or would I need to retool my concept to work with being a native of the blessed lands.

Is the deathmonger background required just to be a follower of the faith? It doesn't seem to indicate as such specifically?

The spells list death monger deity spells, so presumably I'd get those instead of the neroth specific deity spells.. but what about access to devout talents? The religion section says they are priests of all 3 gods, but that seems overpowered if it gives access to all their specific devout talents? If it stops me from being able to access devout (neroth) talents that's a problem for me...

Lastly, I was going to try and use the Initiate Intinerant path as my gateway to dabbling in the divine side of things... It has a requirement of "Weapon Training (ta) in your chosen Deity’s weapon", What would that mean for a death monger? Would I need to have training in all their specific weapons, or just one of the three?

I have the same question for if I just play a worshiper of neroth. His "weapon" is sythe and sickle. Would I need to know both, or is knoing one enough?

I have responded to him that I believe the following is the case (to my knowledge)

1. Death Mongers are treated as a pantheistic god in their own right.
2. You choose one aspect to worship (Father - Neroth; Mother - Beltine or Offspring - Sarish)
3. You don't need the back ground, but if you want to take the specific path you would beed to take the background
4. Deity skill is one of Heal, Etiquette, or Knowledge (Religion) [Choose]
5. Armor is Any Chainmail (Chain Shirt, Chain Hauberk, Plate and Chain- not Kio chain)
6. Weapon is spear.
7. Deity: Divine Trinity / Death Monger
8. Pantheon: Pantheon of Man
9. Sect: Divine Trinity / Death Monger
10. Divine talents - Do I get access to Neroth's? - I will confirm

In regards to plain Neroth, I would say scythe or Sickle would be ok. Bit unfair to require both.

Do we have anything official

Melbourne - Australia

Marco val'Sheem - Master Sword Sage
Gwe - Berokene Sailor & KNight of the 12 Oaks
Henrique Gatti- Dark-kin Archeologist

Tos'Koreth - Disciple of Jeggal Sag
Vuran - Tultipet Body Guard

The Axeman (LRC)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:34 am 

TMK you cannot convert faiths as a divine casting PC in the shared world campaign. But if the PC was is not Divine saying then initiate itinerant gets you in.

The weapon is short spear & the dirty skill is any of the three

Scythe dagger etc should be irrelevant for the Divine Trinity. Their weapon is the short spear. You are not a priest of "Neroth" or "Beltine" you are a priest of the DT.

For me that does make feats an interesting question. Does a DT priest count as a priest of Neroth? While I think the answer should be no, my guess is that the intent was to be yes.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:00 am 

If you are asking if they can get Neroth's Grasp (ta), then my intention when I wrote it was yes. They are considered to be priests of all three of those Gods, so if the only restriction is "Worshipper of" than we're good. If you are asking if they can become a Deathbringer of Neroth, the answer is 100% NO, because they are bloody heretics and the Coryani won't have them ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:01 am 

To echo Eric's comment: No, you HAVE to be from the First City (or, from the Far West when/if that region is ever unlocked) to become a Deathmonger. The religion has not spread beyond that and the Coryani Church finds their views to be high heresy.

Remember, the Deathmongers view that all of the gods besides Sarish, Neroth, and Beltine are dead and that they are now the only three remaining. They are a missionary-based religion, and in a lot of ways they seem to view the opposition they face in lands like Coryan and Khitan as being a test of their own faith (probably similar to the Brotherhood of St. Theomund trying to convert the Cancerese to Illiir). The Kalindruhl, being the work of an (officially) Larissan Valinor is totally not on board with this, and would be VERY anti-Deathmonger, and the Mother Church with its Inquisition would stamp out worshipers where they could be found. The Milandric Orthodoxy already is a bit iffy on Sarish and Neroth, and the Dark Triumvirate already has their own overwhelming belief in a Triumvirate of Gods.

All of these nations have VERY strong and VERY contrary ideologies to the Deathmongers, and it would be a very uphill battle for them to find converts, let alone PRIESTS (since Cants take years to learn, being taught by rote by an organized priesthood).

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey