Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Future ARG Products
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:13 am 

I will preface this by saying two things: One I'm not holding anybody's feet to the fire on release dates and even if they get done at all. But I am curious about what PCI would like to do after all the stuff in the pipeline is done. Especially once the Ssethregore and Kio books are done. I'm one of those people who is more interested in the story than the crunch. So what areas of Arcanis would the staff and fans like to see? And what would most likely be done? At that point we would have books on the Blessed Lands, the Ssethregoran Empire and the Kio (I suppose some details on the League of Princes would be contained within). Do we need a whole book on the Coryani Empire of could there be one that covers the Coryani Empire, the Altherian Republic, the Kingdom of Milandir, and Almeric (since they were all once part of the Empire). Would a product the size of the Blessed Lands book have enough room for all of that information? Or would three products be easier to do and be more economically feasible? I don't know either way which is why I ask the question. Then again there are the Elorii and Dwarves to deal with. Plus the Dark Kin. I'm not sure what makes the best sense to pursue next. Do we simply want to revise the Legacy of Damnation and Cancer books or strike off in new directions?

To be clear this is an exercise in brainstorming/speculation to start the conversation not any sort of demand that this or that book be done next. I aim for a free and friendly discussion here.

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Future ARG Products
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:10 pm 

Well, on one hand I think it is fair to ask: If ARG v2 is being considered, should that be finished before more books are published which may later need to be re-released to be rules compliant? Depending on the extent of the potential changes, an errata document might get the job done, but then again it is better to have as little errata as possible in any games system.

For the legacy books, I'd love to see the Psionics book and the Canceri book re-released.

For new products, I'd be interested in knowing more about the Skohir (so a book on the Hinterlands, likely), and it would be nice to have a large number of small standalones like the Order of the Phoenix pdf. Those would probably be relatively quick to write, and if they are only available as pdfs they'll avoid any printing costs.

I would imagine that a Khitani book would almost have to be published eventually, though that is personally of lower interest.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:31 am 

I believe Arcanis needs, far more than anything else, modules to play. That we have threads talking about how people have played the Crusade Arc multiple times with different characters speaks both to the power of Arcanis to capture our imaginations & of the relative paucity of new play opportunities. If PCI were to undertake new projects my hope would be that they focus on (or at least include) adventures that can be played as part of the Legends/Living Campaign. Perhaps something like Carnival of Swords which introduced both the city of Old Coryan & a cool adventure. (Or City of Secrets or even Bloody Sands of Sicaris). IMO the cities of Abessios, New Althere, Blackwand, Censure, Erduk, Nevane, Savona, Tralia, Treslau, and Whon all look to me like promising candidates for some kind of similar treatments.

I vaguely know in the past that PCIs published adventures were not especially good for the company in terms of financial return. I have some hopes that a similar adventure published today through Kickstarter might work out better.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:26 am 

I agree with you Eric about the mods and had not thought about that when I made the original post. In terms of adventures maybe a "Carnival of Swords" type mod in both ARG and 5E versions. Perhaps make it the same product with combined stat blocks in the back? Not sure if that's easier or harder than two separate products though. Should we do a survey on facebook for what non mod products people want to see? I would not mind a hinterlands book as well since that's place rife with adventure sites (and Censure as a great base of operations as well as a site for urban adventures).

On one level though it makes sense to tie some new products into whatever storyline is being run at the moment. While I imagine the War of the Paragons will focus on the Blessed Lands it might take us further afield into areas that could use sourcebooks.

But having said that revising the crunch books (Magic of Arcanis and the Psionics book) might be useful as well. There are plenty of people who like crunch and fluff in equal amounts. :)

Finally Akira's comment about the need for a 2nd edition of the core rules with errata added in is probably something we need to look at this point considering the amount of errata there is.

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]

Offline Profile