Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Arcane Strike and rune staves
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:16 am 

When Arcane Strike says "choose any basic attack spell" does that mean only Base spells or can you use Advanced spells as well?

Arcane Strike makes no mention of Strain for casting the spell as part of the attack (only Speed and Recovery). Does using Arcane Strike generate Strain or not?

If you combine Arcane Strike and another Base maneuver/trick into an Advanced maneuver, how is the other maneuver speed calculated in? Is it applied to the weapon portion before calculating speed or is it applied after determining if the weapon or spell is slower? For example, if using a speed 3 weapon, speed 4 spell, and +2(0) speed maneuver, is the speed/recovery 5(4) or 6(3)?

If using Arcane Strike with Arc of Lightning with a rune staff with a lightning rune, does the lightning rune bonus damage apply twice (once to spell and once to melee attack) or only once (to the overall attack)? I think most people will say once but, if so, then there are going to be lots of times when damage that logically should apply won't (for instance, if you have a talent that boosts spell damage and a different talent that boosts melee damage).

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Arcane Strike and rune staves
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:00 pm 

My read is that it needs to be a base spell and neither an advanced spell nor a sustained spell.

Further the spell has to be "an attack" so you couldn't load a spell like Fog Cloud for that.

Yes I believe it generates strain.

That's how I think it works

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:36 pm 

val Holryn wrote:
My read is that it needs to be a base spell and neither an advanced spell nor a sustained spell.

Except that Arcane Strike says "basic" and not "Base" (wrong word and not capitalized). It may be an error but two differences make me think it's not (we've already seen similar with Base combat maneuvers vs basic combat maneuvers).

Can anyone think of a reason why it shouldn't allow Advanced spells? Using one with Arcane Strike is actually a little worse than casting one directly to me (substantially increased CTN, increased speed, increased recovery (only with Arcane Strike), and increased strain (assuming Arcane Strike does cause strain)).

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:52 pm 

wilcoxon wrote:
val Holryn wrote:

<snip>
Can anyone think of a reason why it shouldn't allow Advanced spells?<snip>

You're combining two types of components (attack and spell casting. In spells or in maneuvers, a combination already creates an advanced action. If you're including an advanced spell, you're effectively combining 3 components, which isn't allowed anywhere else.

The Whirling Blade spell is a similar sort of concept and it's already an advanced spell.

Looking at Far Strike, it says melee attack and it's a Base spell, so perhaps there isn't that inherent limitation. As it stands right now looking at Far Strike, it would be possible to do an advanced maneuver combined with an advanced spell. Of course after you get it off, you're waiting until after the mod ends to go again. ;)

My guess is you may need to just check with your GM in advance. Theoretically players are supposed to share their advanced maneuvers / spells with the GM ahead of time so it's not a concern during combat. Doesn't happen much if at all, but probably still a good idea.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:17 am 

I agree with Hat's logic...

Further 2 other areas Arcane Strike is awesome for:

(1) Changes the attack to target avoidance. Huge against some BBEG's. For example Uhxbractit has an avoidance of 25 and a a discipline & fort of at least 30 (you can hit him with an attack, but you can't usually use control powers on him since they target the higher defenses).
(2) You aren't a full skill progression arcane caster. Boom! Suddenly your spell effects hit in combat

Just saw the last part of your question...no I don't think you get to double dip on the rune.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey