Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Using Magic Items
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:10 pm 

There aren't a huge amount of magic items kicking around the campaign but I managed to pick up a Larissian Coin from judging last years Arcaniscon. It has a 50% chance of giving you an extra fate point for a scene when you flip it (once per day). But Forged in Magic is silent about how many ticks it takes to use/activate.

Whatcdobpeople think? Is it a freebie to flip the coin? A trivial action? Simple? Complex?

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Using Magic Items
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:06 pm 

Simple or Complex seems to be the default for most actions. As you would have to 'draw' the coin before flipping it, a Complex Action seems right.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:02 pm 

Yeah, that's roughly in line with my thinking. Or maybe two simple actions. One to draw and one to flip.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:06 pm 

Personally, I'd go with a simple to draw (or faster with quick draw) and a trivial to flip.

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:25 pm 

Wearing my GM hat, I might give different answers depending on whether I'm thinking of simulation or game practicality. I'm taking a conversational tone in this reply since I don't think it's a clear answer.

From a simulation standpoint, one must pull out the coin, flip it, and put it away (though hypothetically the user could drop it). That's comparable to
1) drawing a weapon
2) using a tool that's easier to use than waiting for an opening to attack with a weapon yet still cautiously precise not to drop it, which may mean that the time required depends on whether one is actively dodging incoming attacks
3) sheathing a weapon
which adds up to about 6 ticks give or take. The extra complexity of Quick Draw means that some people could use it faster than others.

From a game balance standpoint, what should be the cost in time for a 50% chance of an extra fate point? If the item is not intended to be used in combat, don't worry about it and let it be a big number or based on simulation. Since the fate point only lasts that scene, it probably should be worthwhile in combat. If it's 12 ticks, the owner will rarely bother. If it's 1 tick, then the owner of the item is getting a practically free fate point half the time; and maybe that was the intention, but based on the reward I presume that it's not meant to be completely free. If it's a medium number of ticks, then no one will use it till they are desperate and out of fate points, at which time the user needs the ticks to do other invaluable things. From this perspective, 2 to 4 ticks feels about right to me.

Because this is a magic item, regardless of the flavor text regarding the use of the item by flipping the coin, I feel like game balance is more important than simulation.

Amadi val'Abebi - Monk of Althares
Talathos - choleric Kelekene dabbler

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:17 pm 

Personally I'd rule it as 2 simple actions with one to get it out, one to flip and see the results. At that point I'd probably consider it a trivial action to tuck it somewhere safe or a simple to put away securely wherever it came from. If the coin's not too big, I'd probably even let it remain in hand while using a weapon or shield with it being trapped between the palm and the hilt/haft/handle. I would not count it as a free hand for casting as the need implies independent movement of fingers which would be compromised while holding a coin.

Given that Larceny: Sleight of Hand is a simple action, I think the above fits with comparable abilities.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:53 pm 

ok...take 2:

This comes down to chronicler's discretion. As a general guideline, if you have 1 hand free, a Trivial action to flip the coin seems reasonable.

Retrieving the item is another thing entirely. I thought there was a set speed for retrieving stowed items, but I cant seem to find it.
I would say the following are reasonable:
In a backpack? Speed 4
In an otherwise empty coin purse? Speed 2
In a coin purse with other coins/items? Speed 4 or 7, depending on how much is in it.

-general creator of mayhem and discord
-Exceptional quality PCI Minion and indentured servant
-Lord of the Hummingbirds

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey