Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Letters from Ambassador Tukufu
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:38 pm 

Dear Ambassador,

You are certainly the bravest spouse I know! Myself, I do not have such problems, as I regularly leave my husband at home with the children. Having just returned from a year assisting the 6th Crusade of Light, the peace and quiet of home is a blessed relief. I must admit however, that the family matriarch is a formidible lady who fought in the Coryani Civil War and has a firm grip on the family affairs.

One of the advantages of being a val woman from Balantica. It keeps the menfolk out of trouble and their pants closed.

You really should come to Grand Coryan sometime and see how they deal with such an issue. Your provincial upbringing blinds you to the light of reason regarding inheritance in the Empire. If there is no designated heir, the lawyers get it all! As the invigilator, it should have been possible to cream off at least 20% of the fortune in fees.

Its also the best way to get the brothers to come to an agreement; as the fortune declines, the need to either send assassins after you or admit they will never see a single copper As while they fight among themselves.

May your journey have been fertile and the blessings of the gentle one guide your way.

Your sincerely,

U. Astra Tonsoria f. Ca. Au. Tonsorius val'Dellanov, tribu Saluwe Melissa domo Balantica.

Last edited by Southernskies on Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:07 am 

Friends, Comrades and all Gentle Readers,

Business is good at Litera Scripta Manet. But you don’t need a magical Third Eye to know that trouble is on the horizon. And getting closer. In the aftermath of Tultipet we live in a moment of peace, but it is not an endless moment. I want to understand the storm that is coming and what options are available to us, however limited, to mitigate harm.

Thus I have finished aggregating my own copies of the available prophesies – with full annotations. In fact I am having it printed as I write to you. I mentioned in my last letter that I took my notes to Savona to have them scrutinized by experts in oracular interpretation. With help from the Temple of the Smiling Goddess and the Lodge of Revelations, along with other trusted opinions, I am ready distribute my annotated copies to potential allies and interested parties.

But I will not print them here. Sadly it has been driven home to me that these letters pass into the hands of more people than I would choose. Some have even reached Ymandragore to my surprise...and some little embarrassment.

So. If you would like a copy of my annotated prophesies, then please, find some way to send me a private message with notes on how best to send a copy directly to you. I am eager to share with people of goodwill in the hopes that we may collectively engineer some good out of what promises to be a time of tribulations.

May an abundance of peace, prosperity and joy reach you and your loved ones in the months before the storms hits. And gods willing afterwards as well! I remain your obedient scribe,

Ambassador Tukufu of Altheria

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:07 am 

A small Savonan Coda, if you will indulge me.

It has been brought to my attention by my sometimes ally Arcturis the Bounty Hunter that the gnome known as Oozejumper is now deceased. In the chaos and riots that wracked Savona during the most recent festivities Oozejumper apparently drowned. Oozejumper's actions in the past have caused me no small amount of trouble. Not least with Arcturis who, claiming instruction from the Mother Church or Inquisition, once threatened to burn down Litera Scripta Manet.

But it would seem that against all odds Oozejumper passed while attempting a selfless and heroic rescue of someone caught up in the civic unrest. What is one to make of that? On the one hand I can't quite help but think that unlike his life, Oozejumper managed to die clean. But behind that thin jest on the other hand I also find myself moved by his sacrifice.

The number of people claiming to be heroes has always been greater than the number of actual heroes. How strange then, amid the clamor and chatter, to find heroism from someone who never professed to be one. Despite the aggravation he sometimes caused me think I will miss him.

I invite you, if the spirit so moves you, to raise a glass to unlikely heroes and join me in a drink to remember Oozy.

-T

Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Last edited by val Holryn on Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:58 pm 

Friends, Comrades and all gentle Readers,

I write to send you good wishes at the end of the year, celebrated hear in the First City as the five High Holy Days. Many of you, like me, have grown up using the Coryani calendar. If so, you might ask, “what are the High Holy Days?” Well, things are a little bit different in the First City. While the calendar here has essentially the same months, there are some changes in names and duration. For example we end our year in a month named Storm. I might have chosen Peace. Or Hope. But obviously no one consulted me on these things. The relevant part for our purposes is that the calendar here has been tinkered with to produce five “auspicious” days at the end of the year. These High Holy Days are not part of any month. While I question the sobriety of whatever ancient astronomers produced this calendar; I am all for spending five days turning away from trouble and celebrating friendship.

A happy series of High Holy Days to you all!

I also write to bring you word of the last formal session in the Golden Court, ruled over by Ys, the Tomal Khan and Regent of the First City. It took place the evening of Storm 30th at the end of 1074. By virtue of being married to the niece of the Tomal Khan’s wife I had managed to secure an audience at the court. I had hoped to talk about the prophesy, especially with the Tomal Khan, Arch Prelate Leola, and General Hector Tensin-Balin. I have some vague ideas about mitigating the damage that will be done by the coming of the Destroyer and hoped that they might consider possibilities on how to squirrel away resources for the inevitable resistance that must follow.

A good idea perhaps, but I was to be frustrated on all three fronts. None of them showed up!

I could almost have left in a snit. So much for my plans! But there were other powerful individuals I wanted to talk to. Chief among them was Aunt Nasha who came in the place of her husband. Also “The Mountain,” general ul’Shi Dao, came to represent the Khitani. Lord Varro and Duwapoh – the infamous Twisted Eye – were there on behalf of the Merchant’s Council. Noximanos came representing Tultipet. Master Kirnik was there on behalf of the Emerald Society. And then there were two unusual guests from afar. Thelomas was an elorii who came all the way from Seramas. And finally Erasamus val’Virdan came from Canceri.

I quickly learned that my interest in the prophesies was not unique. Six of the eight major dignitaries had paid for major auguries to be performed on their behalf. Frustratingly they were all were deeply reluctant to admit they had done so, or share what they had learned. For example I had a brief conversation with Lord Varro who initially denied having a new prophesy and who further questioned the value of prophesy itself. Lord Varro put forward the idea that prophesy directly contradicts the idea of free will. And that “divine destiny” makes a convenient excuse for the unambitious and the lazy. I tried to nod politely. He had a point that people make their own choices, and perhaps one of sufficient ambition and skill can forge their own destiny. Still I personally prefer Platiro’s positions on the topic. Platiro speculated that there are some limits imposed on the shape of our lives by what he called Fate and Necessity. The former being determined by the longings of our souls and the later imposed by the needs of the Divine Plan. They create the boundaries of what we might do with our lives, though we are free to explore the area within. Some are given great scope. Others less. Those who try to exceed their scope bring on their own destruction.

But this is largely besides the point. Whatever Lord Varro may say in public, he was concerned enough about the Prophesy of the Destroyer that he commissioned his own Augury. The man is no fool.

I can see I will have to write another letter just to talk about the fragments of new prophesies that have been collected. But I ask your patience. For reasons of space let us temporarily content ourselves with the deals that were struck at the Golden Court. Metaphorically there was a lot of horse trading that took place. And what a strange collection of horses were traded amongst them!

In the spirit of whimsy I start with the closest thing to a horse that was actually traded. As you may recall from the wake for Rohan Stetz, General ul’Shi Dao has been looking for a mount. Since he easily weights over 500 lbs no ordinary horse will bear his weight. In fact many extraordinary horses won’t take his weight either. But the General will no longer worry about horses. Somehow the Ehtzarta of the Hinterlands have promised him one of the great wooly shovel-horned rhinoceros. I suspect this beast will bear his immense weight easily. Gods have mercy on anyone who faces him charging into combat.

While this was being arraigned I judge that the question that burned hottest was whether or not the Tultipetans would remain in the ruined crater of their city, or rebuild elsewhere. It was clear that Noximanos preferred to remain, though he needed a very large pile of funds to rebuild. General ul’Shi Dao was eager to invite them to Khitan, for reasons he said that he had heard in prophesy from no less a source than the Sleeping Emperor. The General did not prevail on this point. Tulitipet raised the funds primarily by selling mining rights to Lord Varro and captured Voie to the slave master Duwapoh. Yes, you read that. Voie slaves. I know, what could possibly go wrong with that bright idea?!? One might wish the Tultipetans had sold the knowledge to make tattooed runes available instead. No doubt the streets of the First City would certainly have remained safer! Though I suppose as a sometimes adventurer I can at least celebrate my new found job security.

My wife Belinay has insisted we significantly reinforce our doors. If you live here I should think you would be well served to do so too.

Duwapoh also acquired an impressive assortment of undead soldiers from Erasamus which he described to me as a new source of “Labor.” Honestly. I wouldn’t make this up. Unfortunately for the Chauni slaver it seems the Kio haven’t forgiven him for the sword he has acquired by, in their eyes, questionable means. Somehow they either cut a side deal with Erasamus or found a way to provoke a “labor dispute.” Duwapoh was attacked by his own undead guards in the middle of the night and barely fought his way free from the assassination attempt.

Master Kirnik of the Emerald Society and Thelomas of Seremas found common ground. They agreed to jointly explore and study a massive eloran device found in the ruins of the undercity. They also made common cause to investigate what seems to be a gigantic pillar of fire somewhere north of the Vastwood. There is a great deal of confusion over what this pillar of fire is. The closest analogues we have are the Pillars of Nier. But it is nowhere near the Pillars of Nier. Has Leonydas resurfaced? Is it a manifestation of Keleos? The elorii and Emerald Society plan to find out.

My Aunt Nasha continued to indulge her pastime of arraigning marriages. Her youngest daughter is now of age. I started negotiations on her behalf with Lord Varro who also has an available son. Despite many twists and turns in pursuit of a truly unique and beautiful wedding dress from Seremas on one hand and tax concessions as a dowry on the other I am happy to say that another wedding is soon to commence. She also planned a trip to the West and acquired maps from Duwapoh for the journey. Though I must confess she was somewhat mysterious about naming the nature of her business. She only expressed an interest to visit family. Why she would need maps from a notorious slaver is a great mystery to me. Given that Aunt Nasha is one of the most formidable women I have ever met I declined to press her on the mater. We will have to all wait and see what fruit, if any, emerge from her planned journey.

No doubt other deals were struck where I could not see them. But I hope you will be content with this report, that I have brought to you from the last gathering of the Golden Court in 1074. As always I remain your obedient scribe.

Tukufu, Ambassador of Altheria

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:24 am 

Hello Ambassador,

Excellent recap, as always! Informative and entertaining. Quite a rare combination!

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:08 pm 

Ambassador,

As one of those who brokered a number of the trades you so eloquently described, I couldn't help but note that you had a few details wrong. The slave trader, in obtaining his Blessed of Neroth from Akali Erasmus val'Virdan, also received as part of the trade a Nierite bodyguard. Clearly protection was formost on his mind. In return for this trade he graciously provided his fragment of prophecy to the Canceri delegation.

Later in the evening, Duoppol attempted to force upon Master Kirnik of the Emerald Society a deal in which the Undir (Master Kirnik's own people) would be forced to protect the slaver's ships. This did not sit well with Master Kirnik, as no small percentage of the slaves carried on those ships were themselves Undir. The representative of the Emerald Society found the terms onerous, but had a strong desire for what the slaver was offering in return (a prize about which I know nothing further).

Master Kirnik approached me, as a representative of Holy Canceri, with a proposal. In return for his fragment of prophesy we would arrange for Duoppal's death, perhaps using some form of intelligent undead--this was Kirnik's own suggestion, and in truth I was surprised to learn he was so eager to make use of the unliving. In this way the Emerald Society could agree to the bargain and gain their prize, but not be required to later engage in disagreeable protection duties.

Naturally we agreed, and arrangements were made for the slaver's Nierite bodyguard to send the man to the Cauldron one night while he slept. How the undead became involved in the attack is beyond me, as this was not part of the original plan. Perhaps the bodyguard himself thought to use them as a distraction, although it appears that all they served to do was give the man time to retrieve his weapon. A knife in the throat in the middle of the night would have done the job better, I suspect. The bodyguard, a relatively unimportant man from a minor family, will not be missed. Clearly he was unworthy and we are stronger without him.

I have never been much for intrigue myself, but this evening would have fit well in the halls of Nishanpur or Ventaka. Perhaps the backwards nations are not as irredeemable as I originally feared. I will be watching with curiosity to see whether the slaver ever determines the true origin of the attempt on his life.

Glory to the Prophet Becherek, glory to Holy Canceri.

Raseri val'Emman
Order of the Incandescent Flame

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:41 pm 

My dear Raseri,

I want to thank you, even belatedly, for your clarifications. So much transpired in that one evening that I almost despair of reporting everything. Your report explains some elements that I had found confusing. I would also welcome notes from anyone else who has additional information.

But I also urge a modicum of caution.

To my knowledge the Twisted Eye does not read these dispatches. Though I have been surprised by unknown readers in the past. Sometimes unpleasantly. The master slaver is not a man to be trifled with. I strongly suspect that someone at some point in time, is going to be sorry that their attempted assassination failed. Master Kirnik has a reputation that is significantly less violent. But he is also not a man to be trifled with. Unlike the Twisted Eye, he is a regular reader of my letters. I am pretty sure he will not be pleased by what you have written and would deny what you said. So though I am pleased to have your additional information, I would urge you to step carefully around Master Kirnik for the next few months.

No doubt though that you can take care of yourself.

I remain your obedient scribe,

Last edited by val Holryn on Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:41 am 

Gentle Readers,

My wife Belinay has finally settled down for the night and I have a little bit of time to write by candlelight. For the last week I wasn’t sure if she was ever going to stop crying. Rarely have I felt so powerless. This despite enduring my fair share of disappointments, setbacks and outright failures.

The troubles all started as we went into the High Holy Days... It was whispered that there was, allegedly, some unspecified doom hanging over Nasha, the Tomal Khan’s wife. Or so ul’Shi Dao was said to have insinuated. I was disturbed enough that I made a gift of my serpentine armband to her. I had recovered the armband from under the First City and knew from firsthand experience that it was enchanted. The “snake” squeezed at the presence of danger and during the Red Frescos incident it probably saved my life.

I thought it a clever, or at least prudent, move to gift it to her. Nasha is not just the Tomal Khan's wife. She's the woman who introduced me to Belinay. I owe her an unfathomable debt of gratitude for that act.

Also during the High Holy Days, the Emerald Society unveiled a new public exhibit at their Collection. The Collection, please notice the capital letter, is the public museum they maintain in the First City. The Tomal Khan and the absolute top of society attended the opening with additional security provided by the Blue Cloaks...and even his elite Blood Guard. That may have left the Barricade to the Unclean Quarter undermanned.

I do not know if the night runners knew this or not, but they chose to attack en mass. What are the night runners? Honestly I do not know for sure. They look a lot like feral elorii with hands and feet that are scaled and clawed. They can race over walls and ceilings as easily as we walk on roads. Clearly they show Ssethric qualities.

The night runners swarmed the defenses and those that weren’t immediately engaged by defenders disappeared into the First City to seize people off the street! Fortunately the Blue Cloaks were swiftly reinforced by everyone in the area who could wield a blade or manipulate the Arcanum. Otherwise things might have turned out much worse. As it was, dozens and dozens of people, and even some stray dogs, were seen being hauled back over the Barricade.

Lesser people would have written off the losses. But a group of hardened veterans about 50 to 60 strong set out on a rescue mission. A few nearby archeologists and Blue Cloak scouts went with them and helped this recovery force navigate the shattered and unmarked streets of the Unclean Zone.

I have no doubt that the guides helped a great deal, but the Recovery Force still encountered and fought additional horrors such as the wolf-like cadaver hounds. Other horrors encountered were not random threats, but actively resisted the pursuit. There were many reports of winged undead Ssethrics. These creatures wielded strange Cants and summoned skeletons. One adventurer called them “Ssethric Valkyries”, while another called them “False Valinor.” A Dark-kin, possibly unstable or at least fevered by the excitement even described them to me as, “my next mount...I’ll ride one and call it Squishy. I swear it!”

The heroes were forced to pursue the night runners through ancient sewers and eventually into an underground chamber. In the following skirmishes the pursuit saw some night runners armed with the weird biomancy of Ssethregore. These weapons included strange flintlock-like weapons that drew on the hosts blood or life force. They also had strange grenades that resembled the sea urchins one finds at low tide. If all that were not enough, the heroes also faced off against Razor Claw and Agamassi Ss’ressen under the leadership of a Ssanu. I presume of course that the Ssanu orchestrated the whole attack.

Most of the civilians were thankfully recovered. But the night did not end there with happy endings and back slapping. There were discoveries and yet more trouble to be dealt with.

The Ssanu’s underground lair was covered with glyphs and murals that told a bizarre story of rebellion in the Ssethric Age. The followers of Wantir, a previously unknown Ssethric deity of death or undeath, apparently seized power from the followers of Yig and Kassegore. They did this under the leadership of Iahkovah who was apparently an avatar of Wantir. His reign appeared to be brief and he was defeated and bound “for all the ages” in a jade sarcophagus. Though there were plenty of grim warnings in the room, there was no sarcophagus. Only a distant hole in the roof and an empty niche where Iahkovah might have been stashed away for a good chunk of eternity.

I’m told one of the archaeologist guides cleared his throat and said something like, “I know it seems improbable…but wasn’t a jade sarcophagus the centerpiece of the new exhibit at the Collection?”

At this point, gentle readers, I’d like you to indulge me as I shift to my own point of view. Belinay, as a favorite niece of the Tomal Khan and his wife Nasha, had just managed to get her hands on two invitations to the Collection. So we were both there with the rich and powerful when Iahkovah emerged from his sarcophagus and unleashed a staggering psychic assault. I’d like to tell you I made a heroic defense, but despite being a Master Sword Sage, I was instantly reduced to the status of thrall. Just like everyone else in the building. From that point on we all just sort of wandered around bumping into things.

The heroes guided the abductees swiftly back across the broken half of the city to safety of the barricade and then charged toward the Collection. But to enter they were first forced to do battle with the Tomal Khan’s elite Blood Guard who, like the rest of us, were enthralled. I am sorry to say almost all of the present members of the guard were cut down as the price paid for our rescuers' entry. Then a ferocious battle took place against Iahkovah and his undead lieutenants. Though outnumbered ten to one, Iahkovah held his ground. He had two great advantages. One: he was somehow able to pass off or ignore the strain of casting, allowing him to saturate the room with his gruesome spells. Two, and far worse: whenever one of his undead lieutenants was felled he reached out and relocated “their soul” into one of the bodies of the enthralled victims. At that point the body of the lieutenant violently burst out and returned to the fight. All in less time than it'd take to thrust a dagger.

That could have been my fate. Or Belinay’s. We shuffled around like everyone else. Now my hand shakes at how close to a random horrible death she came. Aunt Nasha wasn’t so lucky. I saw ... well, I saw her die.

I wouldn’t be writing if the heroes didn’t prevail, though I’m not quite sure how that happened at the end. First two of the lieutenants dropped. Then the remaining combatants. At least four people claim to have struck the killing blow against Iahkovah. But others have said the Ssanu just toppled over. I was shuffling the wrong way at the time and didn’t see it. I suspect all of the strain of casting had to go somewhere. Perhaps somehow at the end he got hit by its backlash.
Belinay and I survived, for which I have given profound thanks to higher powers. But Aunt Nasha was not so fortunate. He body, and I fear her soul, provided the energy for one of the monstrous rebirths of Iahkovah’s lieutenants. Belinay has been beside herself with grief. After a week of mourning she is only now coming around. I hear that the Tomal Khan has taken it even worse. If you have time please, I would ask you to spare a prayer for Ys. Despite a brave face in public I do not think he looks well.

Somehow we all have to keep limping forward; I remain your obedient scribe,

Tukufu, Ambassador of Altheria.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:00 am 
Ambassador,

Unsurprisingly accounts of feral Elorii interest and concern me in equal amounts. We're both familiar with "reports" about Elorii who degenerated through the use of alien magic that altered their cycle of reincarnation in Ravan Tin'dal.

I'm prompted to wonder if that's related to this bizarre property of Wantir's servants being both undead and essentially incorporeal while also managing to use bystanders as vessels for their twisted rebirths.

I await your insights,
Vaize.
Disciple of Anaphylaxia, Servant of Belisarda.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:40 pm 

Greeting Vaise and all Fellow Comrades,

To answer your speculation ... well Yes, of course I have read several accounts concerning the Heroes of Light and their adventures in Ravan Tindal; they secured the Spike of Eternity there, which was a major turning point in the Civil War. The accounts we have are a mishmash of conflicting variations of "what happened." But you are right that they all contain references to "savage" or "degenerate and clawed" elorii living on society's edge. Honestly I had not even thought in those terms to explain the Night Runners. I can not directly dismiss such speculation because the Night Runners also appear degenerate and also have clawed hands.

But let us not get ahead of ourselves.

The Night Runners of the First City appeared scaled in places, which does not match what reports we have of the degenerates in Ravan Tindal. Further the Night Runners were clearly armed with Ssethric "bio-technomancy". Such advanced and guarded weaponry seem unlikely to have been used to equip third party agents. I maintain the most likely explanation is that they are a previously unknown form of Ssethric creature. Perhaps they are even not really elorii at all, but some offshoot "cousin" from the research that eventually led to the creation of the elorii.

Your second question on the nature of Wantir's servants is also very compelling.

To be very clear: Iahkovah and all of his undead servants appeared to be corporeal. There were sarcophagi brought up to the Collection and inside were mummified remains of Ssanu. Now that you mention it, it seems mind boggling that there was a "spirit" that could be transferred from a fallen undead body to an unwilling human host that then died to re-spawn the undead creature. The rule as we understand it is that the soul is usually destroyed in the process of becoming undead in the first place.

I do not know how to account for this. Perhaps the "spirit" I saw was a manifestation of the intellect being transferred and nothing more. Though having seen the transformation with my own eyes I resist this explanation. I, like most of you, previously encountered shades I believe some version of a soul was transferred even if that doesn't normally seem possible. My guess ... and its just a guess ... is that Wantir, or some proxy of his, restored the souls after death and "rebirth." I will certainly consider this topic in future detail at some point.

Yours,

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next