Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: daemons and devils
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:35 pm 

Question, where do I find them in the rules. I see several mentions of them in Grand Tomes but for the life of me I don't see a listing on them. It's likely something I'm overlooking due to skimming the text but was curious.

Also .... what's the difference between the two in this game?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: daemons and devils
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:42 pm 

Daemons are powerful independent entities who may or not be evil depending on their nature. Some believe they are angels who chose not to follow God and were cast away from him. They can appear on the physical world at their own whim.

Devils are angels that turned against God and sided with Lucifer. They are indisputably evil. They can only dwell in the physical world through a vessel or mortal shell.

These are leftovers from the categories in first edition. Both are considered "diabolicals."

Ultimately, daemons are free agents, powerful beings that go back to the dawn of time. They might once have been considered gods among men. Devils are part of the host of Hell, cast out of Heaven and condemned to the pits. Devils serve the Adversary. Daemons might, if it serves their purpose.

Of course, since 2nd edition has purposefully minimized these distinctions, you shouldn't necessarily feel bound by them.

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:49 pm 

I like the distinction, me thinks. Is there any source material in the books on them or on creating them?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:33 pm 

Ha! Funny you should ask. I mean there really isn't in a specific sense. First edition included a big convoluted point based system on how to build threats built against your player group. Average the cadre's SP and you get a point value for building your adversary. I think the distillation of that in the new GToA2 is a better solution for plug and play.

But no, there is nothing specific to building a devil vs building a daemon. However, I'm slowly working on a Quick Threat Refernece for my game that lets me quickly compare a lot of core abilities to build adversaries quickly and consistently. It incorporates some of the stuff from first edition, like categories, but is mostly focused on 2nd ed. The quick reference is going to be something of a monster index, gathering data from every source I have access to, including the Aztec book. That plus my master Evernote bestiary and I'm pretty set.

Anyhow, I have plans for it when it's done. Send me a PM if you'd like a copy.

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile