Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ask the Stat Monkey!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:40 pm 

Dante wrote:
The description of the spell Runic Ward (ARPG, p.421) says that its only Tradition is Wards [Tier II], but the spell lists (ARPG, p.352) say that it's also in the Elemental Tradition [Tier III], albeit with a limitation of elemental effect only. Which is correct?

When in doubt defer to the actual spell description over the summary tables. It's still worth getting an official answer at some point given the discrepancy, but that's generally the way to resolve it.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:44 pm 

Dante wrote:
Does the val'Mehan Bloodline Talent Oath Maker (ARPG p.222) grant any benefit to a character who can already cast the Sarishan Oath spell? As written, it appears not to. If not, it seems a pretty hefty "Talent tax" for trying to maximize Bloodrank.

A single bypassable talent isn't a talent tax. It's not required for progressing to tier II bloodline talents. Even if it were, it's a single talent. Maximizing bloodrank is not required. If you find it of benefit, great then it's worth it anyway. If it's not that important you can bypass it.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:34 pm 

Dante wrote:
<snip>In the spirit of the Talent, I suspect that the character should be able to choose whether to use trained ranks +1 or to use Bloodrank.<snip>

There are a number of places where there are a couple of different skills to consider. My recollection is use whatever's better.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:46 pm 

Looking at it, I don't think Sarish's Own is overpowered as a Scene(D) but I do agree that it needs to be clarified if it should be Scene(D) or Sustained.

I would assume the spell list is correct and the spell entry simply missed the Elemental entry (similar to how many weapon tricks/maneuvers missed specific weapons that could do them and have been errata'd to add them).

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:22 am 
Apologies if this has come up before though I have checked the 4.3 FAQ.

About the talent Challenge: assuming it's applied successfully can the Challenged target take aggressive actions that do not at least partially target the challenger?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:37 am 

ZCaslar wrote:
Apologies if this has come up before though I have checked the 4.3 FAQ.

About the talent Challenge: assuming it's applied successfully can the Challenged target take aggressive actions that do not at least partially target the challenger?

Zac, could you provide an example? Looking at the talent's description, it says that the target considers you a significant threat and you must attack them. The implication is they must be dealt with now, not later especially given that the talent's effects only lasts 12 ticks.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:29 pm 

My read is that the target thinks you (the challenger) are a significant threat and must do something about you on their next action. Usually that means directly attacking. But I also think a Sarishian with a demon bodyguard could order the infernal to attack instead (indirectly attacking) if that made sense. So I think it somewhat depends on what resources the challenged party has on hand.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:26 pm 
Hail all.

My sticking point is that as the effect is 12 ticks long the target must spend the duration under it's effect attacking the challenger.

Val'Holryn and I have gone around in circles a few times about this and hence my interest in an official response. The Talent isn't worded that the target "must use it's next action within 12 ticks to attack the Challenger."

I favor RAW over RAI, and RAW is that the effect has a 12 tick duration, not an onset timer of 12 ticks.

As I see it this is mechanically and thematically balanced: you are specifically demanding a thing kill you, the ability is tied to a non-combat skill progression, Challenge has no tiered benefits and it has a +4 kicker to the target's Discipline defense once it's been attacked by an ally.

My experience is that while it is a powerful control tool, it's also a sure way to catch an ass kicking. As I track it with a 22 Avoidance I get hit between 75-80% of the time and I've certainly bitten off far more trouble than I could handle before.

And if "you" are wondering, yes this is still about From The Ashes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:43 pm 

"From the Ashes" ?? Don't recognize that as a mod title could someone jog my memory here? Thanks in advance. :)

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:50 pm 
Haakon_val'Ishi wrote:
"From the Ashes" ?? Don't recognize that as a mod title could someone jog my memory here? Thanks in advance. :)

I might have the name wrong. :?

But it's the first (non-event) appearance of the Ashen Council in Year 1.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next