Last visit was: It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bestial Intellect trait
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:45 pm 

I noticed that quite a few critters with Bestial Intellect, also have skills that the trait says they can't actually use (Perception and Tracking/Wilderness Lore are the main offenders).

Either the allowed skills need to be expanded, or rewritten as an exception list.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Bestial Intellect trait
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:44 pm 

Had another thought on this problem.

Creatures with Bestial Intellect cannot roll Action Roll for the affected skills. They always use their Passive Value when an Action Roll would be required.

This would give highly skilled critters (ie animals with Perception and Wilderness Lore or Track) some ability without a massive rewrite of the flaw.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:51 pm 

I'm at work and don't have my books with me. I would assume an animal like a wolf, dog, or cat could actively use skills like perception or tracking no matter what the rules say. I've been around dogs and cats all my life and have seen them using those skills to hunt prey or just make sense of their environment. And I feel confident I've seen both active and passive uses of said skills. Now that's not to say there are dumb animals out there I've seen plenty of those. :) As a GM I try to let common sense rule the table. That means wolves act like wolves and not a trained commando unit. :)

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:00 pm 

All "rules" in the Bestiary are just guidelines. In short, bad guys cheat. Personally, when I build stats, I put in the skills that make sense. Perception and/or Wildernss Lore are essential for being aware of predators and noticing prey. (Wilderness Lore-Survival or Wilderness Lore-Tracking help with an animal's basic survival). Like I said, they need to make sense. I would not put Perception on a giant earthworm.

-general creator of mayhem and discord
-Exceptional quality PCI Minion and indentured servant
-Lord of the Hummingbirds

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey