Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Using Gladius of Light in Advanced Spells
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:41 pm 

So I was poking around the player's guide when I noticed that the Gladius of Light is a Base spell. This got me to thinking, what are some spells that people would combine with it? I suppose that you could use any spell with range Self and duration Scene, but the vast majority of those seem to be buff spells (ie. Inertial Shield). Are there any out there that would really compliment GoL or enhance its damage?

One I had looked at was Blade of Our Lord. Going by the basic rules it appears that they could be combined, but I'm a little uncertain what the end result would be. One creates an actual flamberge, and the other creates a weapon which (per the spell description) can look like any kind of weapon, but actually isn't any type other than 'light'. I think that the combination would mean that you deal additional damage (from Blade of Our Lord) to entropic/undead/infernal creatues per Gladius of Light, but the Gladius of light damage doesn't affect any normal living foes?

EDIT: Corrected below spell on 2015-03-18 to fix some errors. Removed reference to higher damage vs. Entropic enemies as the higher flamberge damage from Blade of Our Lord would override both. See math on the next page, it appears that this advanced spell isn't actually significantly better than just adapting Gladius of Light for increased damage.

Nier's Touch (Advanced Spell: Blade of Our Lord + Gladius of Light)

CTN: 26
Speed (Strain): 2 (+10)
Range: Self
Duration: Scene

With this spell, the faithful of Nier summon forth a flamberge of flame and light. Legend says that this was the preferred weapon used by Nierites against the forces of entropy in the times of old.

Effect: This blade, wielded as a normal flamberge, deals both fire damage and slashing damage. Against Undead, Spirits, and Infernals (including Incorporeal creatures of these types), this weapon bypasses all AR and deals d10 (Mi) (Primary) damage as a speed 6 attack.

This blade sheds light like a lantern and passes harmlessly through living beings and inanimate objects.

Restriction: You must have an available source of fire to cast this spell unless you are capable of producing it yourself (for example a val’Virdan).

Special: Though it is shaped as a flamberge this weapon has no real weight or balance, making it impossible to use any weapon tricks with this spell. This blade may not be thrown or released (the blade disappears upon doing so).

Adaptation: Increase the CTN by 3 to increase the blade’s quality to a Exceptional weapon, thus reducing its Speed by 1 and increasing the damage by 1.

Adaptation: Increase the CTN by 5 to add your passive Resolve Modifier to all damage rolls.

Adaptation: Increase the CTN by 3 and Strain by 1 to apply a Die Bump to the damage die. This Adaptation may be applied multiple times.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Last edited by acurrier on Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Using Gladius of Light in Advanced Spells
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:06 pm 

I think you'd have to assume it was a Flamberge with the added bonuses of Gladius of Light, which means it is a two-handed, speed 6 base weapon. I could be wrong about this though.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:09 pm 

I suspect you are correct. Original post modified.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:35 pm 

I probably need to revisit it in light of the most recent errata, but here's the one I came up with a while ago: Dark Blade of Illir (Twilight's Knife) viewtopic.php?f=56&t=814

Combines Manipulation of Shadow with Gladius of Light.

Need to figure out what the effect would be.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:52 pm 

Hi Paul,

I took a look at the thread you linked, I would think that it would be effect would be similar to the Blade of Our Lord wherein the dagger does a normal d4 (Mi) damage to everything, with an additional d6/d8 (Primary) damage when attacking Undead/Infernal/Entropic.

The reason that Gladius of Light doesn't affect living/inanimate targets is that it is purely light. If it is combined with another spell effect that creates a weapon, you should still end up with a regular weapon that will affect normal targets. I would also think that similarly to above the base weapon stats would take over, making it Speed 3...but I could be wrong. I would also think that you would have to use Melee (Balanced), as you are making an actual dagger.

It is a little counter intuitive to combine light and shadow like that, but as written the rules don't prevent it. Thanks for the link :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:28 pm 

Here's one for you val'Ossan out there:

Yarris' Guard Against the Unnatural (Tendrils of Water + Gladius of Light)
Category: Advanced
CTN: 32
Speed (Strain): 4 (+10)
Range: Self
Duration: Scene (D)

Pulling streams of light-infused water around you, they suddenly animate into large tentacles that slam and crush your enemies. The blessed water is especially effective against unnatural foes.

Effect: For the remainder of the Scene and as long as you remain stationary, these tentacles will attack anyone who comes within melee reach. These tentacles possess their own stats and act on their own Clock. You possess no control over these mindless tentacles; they simply attack anyone else within reach, and although you and they share the same space, neither suffers any penalties for doing so. Against Undead, Spirits, and Infernals (including Incorporeal creatures of these types), the tentacles bypass all AR and deal an additional d6 (Primary) damage. When attacking Entropic creatures the tentacles instead deal an additional d8 (Primary) damage.

Watery Tentacles:
Type: Elemental, Base Die: (Primary), Defenses, all: 30, Stamina/Wounds: 30/1, AR: 5, Pace: 0’, Attacks: Tentacle +20, Speed: 5, Range: Melee, Damage: d8 (Primary), Talents: Ravenous, Crush. Weakness: Bestial Intellect.

Special: You must remain stationary for these tendrils to exist; if you, for whatever reason, move or are moved your tendrils simply dissipate into mist. Also, you may only have one Tendrils of Water spell active at any one time; if you attempt to recast the spell while it is active the spell simply fails.

Adaptation: Increase the CTN by 6 and Strain by 3 to grant your watery tendrils the ability to attack a Target with its Tentacle attack as a Push 5 action.

Adaptation: Increase the CTN by 5 to add your passive Resolve Modifier to all damage rolls.

Adaptation: Increase the CTN by 3 and Strain by 1 to apply a Die Bump to the damage die. This Adaptation may be applied multiple times.

Last edited by acurrier on Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:39 pm 

I assume that the tentacles wouldn't affect solid objects since they are made of light?

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:45 pm 

It is a good question, but the way I read the rules is that adapted spells are a combination of two things. This is why I used the term 'light infused'. There is still water going into the creation of the spell, so I would assume that it would still have a normal effect on living enemies. I could be wrong, but it makes sense to me.

As I said above, the reason that Gladius of Light doesn't affect the living is that it is just light. These combined spells have more than one element going into them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:45 pm 

My reading of it is as independent effects.

Blade of our Lord = d10 (Mi) damage
Gladius of Light = d6 (Primary) damage vs Undead

The d10 and d6 are both weapon damage die, so use the highest (stacking rules).

It gets a bit murkier against undead. My reading would be: d10 (Mi)(Primary) for the damage (due to the stacking issue).

The Adaptations would be the biggest advantage of an advanced spell;
+9 CTN gets you a Speed 5, damage d12+3 (Mi) weapon with an additional (Primary) vs undead.

Quote:
Adaptation: Increase the CTN by 3 to increase the blade’s quality to a Exceptional weapon, thus reducing its Speed by 1 and increasing the damage by 1.

For "Yarris' Guard Against the Unnatural (Tendrils of Water + Gladius of Light)", same issue.
d8 (Primary + die bump) + adaptations vs undead; due to stacking rules on two (Primary) die.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:00 pm 

acurrier wrote:
It is a good question, but the way I read the rules is that adapted spells are a combination of two things. This is why I used the term 'light infused'. There is still water going into the creation of the spell, so I would assume that it would still have a normal effect on living enemies. I could be wrong, but it makes sense to me.

As I said above, the reason that Gladius of Light doesn't affect the living is that it is just light. These combined spells have more than one element going into them.

But if it's Light *and* Water, wouldn't it suffer the penalties of both? That would mean that it's now a physical spell (blunt damage) and not do the extra damage to incorporeal creatures, etc? I don't think you'd get the "Union" of benefits, but instead the "Intersection" of benefits, right? So if you attacked something immune to Water based attacks, the 'light' part wouldn't do any damage either since it's now a 'combo'?

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next