Last visit was: It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: ArcaniCon 2015
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:20 pm 

Hello All,

I am in process of gathering information for ArcaniCon 2015.

The first year we had it in Chicago, but the hotel was not ideal for our group and the food was fairly expensive. This past year we held it in Romulus Michigan. While the hotel better accommodated us, and even went out of their way to make us happy in many respects, I got the impression that many of our players did not like the location. After having come up for the convention, how do people feel about us hosting it in the same hotel again?

Right now my most central locations are Chicago and the Fort Wayne areas. Both fairly expensive in different respects but still possible. If there are other preferred locations I would like to hear from people to know what the consensus is. I would like to hear from more than the vocal few. Please weigh in if you are even considering attending in 2015 so that I can make a more informed decision on location.

Best Regards,
Melinda Reid
Game Ambassador - Legends of Arcanis and Witch Hunter

Game Ambassador - Legends of Arcanis and Witch Hunter

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: ArcaniCon 2015
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:36 pm 

From the perspective of Western Canada, I would love to see it in a major Canadian city (Calgary, Winnipeg, or Toronto) but I realize that crossing the border is a hastle for you Americans. The next best options would be Romulus again (commutable from Toronto) or Minneapolis (most flights from Alberta to the eastern US go through there anyway). Fort Wayne is a BIG hastle for us as finding flights there would be almost impossible.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:41 pm 

As a resident of Ohio, I find anywhere in the midwest is easy to get to. Otherwise, I liked the last year's venue just fine.
John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:33 pm 

Michigan is a pain to get to from Minneapolis. The straight-line distance is pretty short but I have to go south through Chicago before going back north. I'd highly prefer somewhere within 8 hours drive. All of these cities would fit the bill (and likely some more):

Minneapolis, MN - 0 hours is a good drive time ;)
Des Moines, IA
Kansas City, MO (or KS)
Fargo, ND
Lincoln (or Omaha), NE
Madison, WI
Milwaukee, WI
Chicago, IL

Madison is a very nice town for a convention. However, I've only been there for professional conventions so I'm not sure about facilities appropriate for a gaming convention.

If it is further than that, I am much less likely to go. On the other hand, I was planning to go this year in Michigan (until some good friends scheduled their wedding that weekend).

Why does it seem like you are primarily looking in a pretty narrow corridor (Michigan, Chicago, Indiana)?

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:45 pm 

Given time of year and vacation time, 5 hours drive from Cincinnati is probably the practical limit for us. As Wilcoxon mentioned, 0 hours is always great. :) Tennessee had sounded interesting especially given the time of year.

Steve: I think part of the reason they're looking at Chicago / Detroit / Indiana areas is that's where they have people who can serve as local coordinators to do the investigation, the legwork, be the points of contact etc.

I certainly understand if it ends up somewhere further away.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:44 pm 

Might I suggest that Melbourne Australia is lovely that time of the year.

OK.. I will get back in my Box :)

<GRIN>

On a serious note. What month is it in?

Taffy

Melbourne - Australia

Marco val'Sheem - Master Sword Sage
Gwe - Berokene Sailor & KNight of the 12 Oaks
Henrique Gatti- Dark-kin Archeologist

Tos'Koreth - Disciple of Jeggal Sag
Vuran - Tultipet Body Guard

The Axeman (LRC)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:16 am 

While I would love Australia, I figure it's fairly cost-prohibitive for most of us :)

Speaking from the Tennessee contingent, we (Memphis) have a major airport, multiple major interstate accesses, even a train for those so inclined (though I confess I don't know what points it connects to). From a seasonal perspective, it's far superior to the other choices in terms of weather, as freezing temps are the exception, not the norm, even in January (average highs are around 50 degrees Fahrenheit). Fort Wayne = Winter Fantasy? Seriously? Who ever came up with that crap, lol?

The city hosts multiple conventions throughout the year, so there's no shortage of hotels in the area. Food, for the most part, is relatively inexpensive, running the full gamut of prices and cuisines. It's centrally located, so many of the Americans (with the exception of the Detroit area folks) can probably get there with a reasonable drive. There's also quite a few of us locals who would be willing to provide cheap taxi services to and from the airport and/or hotel.

That's my two cents :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:23 am 

I liked the hotel in Romulus just fine. I would prefer the con stay in the midwest as well, as I also live in Columbus, Ohio. That said, Columbus is a lovely convention venue, with easy highway access, excellent flight availability, and many venues large and small.

Peter Parker

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:47 am 

I'm in the same boat as Cody. It would be great to hold Arcanicon in Canada, but otherwise it would have to be in the northern US if I'm ever going to be able to attend.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:55 am 

acurrier wrote:
I'm in the same boat as Cody. It would be great to hold Arcanicon in Canada, but otherwise it would have to be in the northern US if I'm ever going to be able to attend.

I'd attend a con in Canada if it was near southern Ontario or Quebec. I'd be out if it were too far in western or northern Canada. I'd probably come a day or two extra to see some sites though.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next