Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Running a game.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:42 pm 

So I recently got the game and I am working up to running my first game. One of the conceits of the game seems to be is that the enclaves and the players stick close to major cities which seems to be the opposite of commonly held Zompocaplypse logic.

I know my players and the first question is they will ask me when I propose the game is why anyone in their right mind would hang around any major city with it's 500,000 to 1 million plus zombies shambling about. I'm not really sure haw to answer this. Any suggestions?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Running a game.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:58 pm 

well because that's what Heroes do?

I say that tongue in cheek because that is one of those suspension of disbelief items common to the zombie apocalypse genre, they could be there because the normal people militias that are out in the non urban areas are doing fine, or because they think that they can Do Good Things For The City, by staying there.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:37 pm 

Well, yeah, I get that. I was hoping for something a little less meta than "because that's what heroes do"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:22 am 

Hunt for Patient Zero.

Necessity of assassinating a flying Super Z who vacuums up rural farmers.

Necessity of salvaging necessary (medical?) equipment that isn't available in the countryside.

Basic vanilla human zombies less dangerous than zombie wolves, mountain lions and grizzly bears?

People being farmed by Super Z. Super Z does not tolerate his larder leaving. You're trapped! First Mission is just getting out if PCs want to do that.

Running low on bullets ...

Need gas to power the tractor.

Loved one refuses "to leave home."

@*#&! the zombies. My arch enemy was/is seen there and BY GOD now that the cops and courts aren't a problem I will Kill him/her by inches!

The cultural art museum has three statues by Rodin, a Rembrant and and the greatest collection of pre-contact meso-America artifcts. Even if humanity dies our heritage must survive.

Fiber-optic communication with other cities is unavailable outside the city.

I'm a megalomanic and burn to rule over people. There are no people in rural America ...

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:31 am 

More places to hide and easier to fortify?

I know in the home game I ran the heroes set up their enclave on an island just off the coast of Miami (Key Biscayne) and took out all the bridges leading to the island.

they would still end up with "soakers" (zombies who walked over under water) but it was safer the being in the city.

but being near a city can provide some advantages, resources, looking for other enclaves, being able to use the Super Z's territorial instincts to their advantage... and so on

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:50 pm 

I dont have a copy of the book handy and I'm not initimate with the setting but if some of the Super Zs cleared the city of most zombies and left a relative safe zone, normals would surely take advantage of that.

that would leave just enough zombies for the game master to use when plot dicated they needed to have zombies or pockets of zombies...

Offline Profile