Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Marbled Scales
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:05 am 

At a random table, sitting in the tavern is a robed figure. The robe is scholarly and mostly white with embroidered black and red florets surrounding the opening. Strung over the figure's back is a well made shield which also aids in protecting his backpack which appears to stuffed with papers and books haphazardly. The figure also has a waterproof flintlock case leaned against his stool. As one looks over the figure they might notice that he a bastard sword sheathed at his hip and something else under the robe that drags the floor. Could it be? Yes, that it is, a white scaly tail.

When one appraoches him, he will always stand as if he is trying to show respect to the individual, then lower his cowl. Under the cowl is a ss'ressen but not just another ss'ressen it is a white ss'ressen with crystal clear eyes. Upon closer inspection his scales are not all white but actually marbled with fine veins of black. Down his back run three ribs of thick black scales spaced equidistant from each other that run from the crown of his head to the tip of his tail. He will most always shake the person's hand that approaches and that is when everyone can see his fine black talons that seems to be darker at the point than the rest of talon, almost as if he had been dipping them in ink. Covering his eyes are custom made specticles with silver wire frames.

When no one is talking to him he will look around and almost certainly get up and walk towards anyone observing him. Then greet the person in the language he would think that person is most comfortable in speaking. With a ss'ressen lisp, "Greetings and salutations(lowering his head a little and a outstreaching a hand), I am Vincent. Who might you be?"

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Marbled Scales
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:10 pm 

Tukufu wanders over shaking the dust off his "well loved" buff coat.

"Hi Vincent. You know we took the Black Ship all the way over to Ymandragore and I never got around to asking questions about you. Fear focuses the mind, and all that. Do you mind me poking around with what you remember from childhood?"

Taking a seat Tukufu pulls out a notebook.

"I understand that it's essentially unique in Ss'ressen culture to know who your parents are. Did either take a hand in your upbringing? Or we're you brought up in the crèche along with others?

"And is it true that you hatched already awakened? I imagine that would have been rough for people around you, before you learned to control your powers. What sorts of psychic abilities did you posses in childhood?"

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:25 pm 

" Tukufu! It's nice to see you again." Vincent grabs Tukufu hand in a heavy handed shake which gradually falls into a one armed hug. Then waits for Tukufu to take his seat and sits afterward.

"Great Questions. I do, of course, know who my father is but I have not yet met him. I am hoping to in the future though. I do not really know who my mother is though. I am not even sure my brothers and I have the same mother. I hope when I do eventually meet my father that he may have an answer. I was raised by Arnous Val'Holryn in his manse but I am not sure of my brothers. I had a room near a constantly fueled boiler. He had a fairly extensive library and most of my childhood years were spent there. He taught me a lot about the history of the reptile races of Onara and I excelled in my studies. When I was thirteen I did get permission to go explore Trailia, which was a great experience. When I was 16, I received permission to explore Milandir and in the past couple years I have been exploring the continent of Onara.

It is true we were born awakened. I don't think we all had the same abilities though I was not taught much about my other brothers. I think we were kept apart from each for some reason. I myself was born with an ability similar to "mental scream" though without control it would wear me out fairly quickly. It seems through my years of training I developed more of my ability to control beings minds, though now that I am out in the world that may change."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:49 pm 

When he walked into the tavern, it was hardly without notice. Most eyes tended to follow him involuntarily, a combination of imperious bearing and diplomatic training. It did not do for an emissary to not compel his audience. Beyond stature and demeanor, there were his trappings. He wore a suit of lorica squamata unlike any other, forged of a strange green metal unknown to all but a handful still living, and inscribed with a holy symbol of Sarish on each and every scale. That, alone, would be worth mentioning, but of far more interest was the Kio sword at his side, as this Val was obviously no val'Sungha. As more and more denizens of the Western Lands had made their way into the Crusade and now the Blessed Lands, the sight of such blades was becoming less rare, but by no means common. This sword, however, seems a cut above even many of its brethren, with a hilt and scabbard of rich blue and a worked silver metal.

He saw the ss'ressen and the Altherian, considering joining them for only a moment before remembering the circumstances under which they last parted. He offered them a cursory nod of recognition before stepping to the bar and ordering a drink with the distinctive accent of Cancerese nobility. Placing ample coin of the realm onto the bar to cover libation and tip, he picked up the cup, swirling it around as he stared into its contents, showing no interest in drinking.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:15 pm 

"Oh! Hey Vincent. Look who just walked in. Jeez, he looks like owns the place. Should we call him over? Even though ... you know. Or do you think our soulless former companion would rather be left alone? Maybe he's not into small talk. I dunno. I'm not sure I like him, but we did run amok on Ymandragore together. That ought to count for something. What do you think?"

Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:39 am 

Vincent takes his glasses off and lays them on the table then picks up wine glass full of red wine. As he takes a sip he nods curtly in the direction of the man at the bar. Then Continues with his conversation.

"I am sure he did what thought he had to do. In return making him heroic to some and do have respect him a little for that. Though, the fire dragon would have looked poorly on what he did. Therefore I can't fully respect his actions. He did help use very much on the isle of tears and I will not refuse his word or help in the future. If you wouldn't mind, we could invite him over. We all need to have each other backs in this time."

"I would Like him ask about his past. I am sure he has unique insight on the past"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:19 pm 

"Okay. Just don't, you know. Let him sneak up behind me or something."

"Belthazor. I see you over there. Really, in your armor you're rather hard to miss. We've got room here at our table if you'd enjoy company..."

Last edited by val Holryn on Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:17 pm 

The val'Mehan nodded and moved to join them. "I've just gotten in from the road. I've not yet had a chance to take a room and stow my gear," he explained in reference to his armor. Taking a seat, he placed his drink on the table. He had already gained a sense of how welcome (or not) he was. Like most good emissaries, he had long ago learned to read lips. The Altherian's hushed tones had availed him little, though the ss'ressen's reactions were interpreted more from body language. Ss'ressens were hard to read, but with practice, that came much easier than the lisp possessed by the val'Sosi's broodling.

"We could begin with preamble such as 'How fare you from the road' and what not, but I'd prefer to dispense with the platitudes. I employ such in formal dealings and have no desire to do so here. As you both sit before me, hale and hearty, I have my answer," he smiled. "Beyond that, let us cast aside any other questions that will not lead to meaningful discourse. To that end, no, I do not regret my actions after we left the Isle of Tears. I got over a similar decision almost a half-century ago, and I would do likewise again if the situation called for it. That may make me a monster, but I was called such long before... well, you know. I can live with that, as it were."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:07 pm 

"I admit, I have much to learn of the world. I may have to make such a decision in the future though I am hoping not. Tell me of your emotions of the act and how you controlled them. What can you both tell about this and how I might deal with it? I am a student of history and therefore I study how persons react to the situation at hand. Arnous taught me with wisdom comes control, this is why I ask."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:32 pm 

Belthazor smiled. "I had no emotions during the act," he explained, "though not for the reasons you might imagine. The obvious assumption, which I would prefer not to discuss among unfriendly ears, has naught to do with it. I am as capable of emotions as ever I was, though there are more than a few who might assume that as both val'Mehan and Emissary, the operative word there would be never."

"The truth of that is we are trained to conceal our emotions, as they provide potential weakness or opportunity. That is not subjective, as those are the very exploits we seek when we deal with others." He sighed, "But you are a student of history, and it is from my own history that I chose my course of action without hesitation."

He sat back in his chair, settling in to get comfortable. "I made a similar decision forty-eight years ago, and it plagued my conscience--pardon the pun. Later, it very nearly killed me. Your Arnous is not wrong, for in this case, it was the wisdom of experience that allowed me to control any reluctance or doubt."

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next