Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Slavery and the Battlematt
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:00 pm 

Everybody should have a pet human. They are so very useful. With five skills and three talents of your choice for just 10 or 20 gold (Free for Patricians), a slave can quickly max those skills a party does not bring to the table alone. My question is, how can they be effectively used?

Here are some thoughts....

At first blush, the 1 Stamina, 1 Wound, No armor or weapons (do to legalities discussed on the old boards), and not spell casting is certainly a hindrance. But I don't think it needs to be an absolute game stopper. Take LEADERSHIP for example. Slaves -can- take it as there is no minimum ability score associated with the talent. Makes the 10 gold for a common slave more attractive doesn't it? I'd argue a free leadership every scene is worth the cost of two runes. What about Perception skills? Perception is a skill that is hard to max out. But for a slave who takes it, maxing the skill is automatic. Add Wary and Investigator to the Leadership, and wow, +9 to notice something out of place at Tier II is nothing to sneeze at. Want more skills, take Adaptable and you get SEVEN maxed skills to fill party gaps. Also, because they lack the bestial intellect flaw, slaves are self ordering. No need wast precious ticks on Beast Lore checks.

But there is something more useful than all that... HEAL. Compared to Diminish Fatigue the First Aid, and Get on your Feet, uses of Heal are not as attractive. But what about keeping that slave as a combat medic in reserve? TPK? Unless the monsters eat or burn all the vanquished, a slave with an effective HEAL skill can rush in and save the day.

The only down side is that except for a single mod with a slave market, you can only get HUMAN slaves. Whimper. Even there Elorri and Ssressen slaves are off the market. That is a bummer. Nothing would unite the Elorri and BEAST tables like a val walking around with one of each in chains. Oh well, I guess the dagger toothed clans at Origins' will just have to hiss at each other as usual. :lol:

Speaking of which, I bet nobody is going to read this until next week.....

There once was a gnome called Oozy,
Who kissed a Yaricite floozy.
But rather than wed,
She drowned him instead,
Now he is a Yaricite toosey!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Slavery and the Battlematt
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:48 pm 

One issue with this: Leadership requires Battle, which is not a skill a slave can take (can only take Lore, Physical, and Social Skills). That said, if Haakon can ever pick up a slave, he probably would take the chance.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:04 am 

How many talents do they get? Adaptable would be an option then to get Battle.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:16 am 

All minions get three talents, per bestiary.

Seams to me that Adaptable, Leadership, and Lost in the Crowd are good choices.

But rather than wed,
She drowned him instead,

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:24 am 

Eric Hughes wrote:
All minions get three talents, per bestiary.

Seams to me that Adaptable, Leadership, and Lost in the Crowd are good choices.

That is for writers and GMs to make threats/encounters, not for Players. Core book pg. 254 gives the "stats". Basic Slave uses a d6 attribute die and gets 3 ranks in 5 skills (not combat or arcanum). That being said, i would strongly recommend to every person who judges to destroy any slave a player choosesto use in combat for any kind of advantage.

-general creator of mayhem and discord
-Exceptional quality PCI Minion and indentured servant
-Lord of the Hummingbirds

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:16 am 

A slave brought out by a PC for some kind of combat role is not courting a long life, and is indeed a viable target. But it doesn't necessary rate a shoot on sight policy. I trust in the law of averages to take care of the problem in due course. And reasonable people should realize it probably is not a cost effective options.

In real life "Nodwick" would probably run away or make much trouble for the PC. After the third time being vanquished in a mod would YOU find the penalties of running away and being caught any worse than being dragged out into combat again?

Just as some people invest talents to get a "pet" I don't inherently see anything wrong with buying a slave. (Beyond slavery). I don't see anything *wrong* with a PC bringing a bag of expensive glass objects into a BI either ...

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:21 pm 

val Holryn wrote:
A slave brought out by a PC for some kind of combat role is not courting a long life, and is indeed a viable target. But it doesn't necessary rate a shoot on sight policy. I trust in the law of averages to take care of the problem in due course. And reasonable people should realize it probably is not a cost effective options.

In real life "Nodwick" would probably run away or make much trouble for the PC. After the third time being vanquished in a mod would YOU find the penalties of running away and being caught any worse than being dragged out into combat again?

Just as some people invest talents to get a "pet" I don't inherently see anything wrong with buying a slave. (Beyond slavery). I don't see anything *wrong* with a PC bringing a bag of expensive glass objects into a BI either ...

Bringing a slave along on an adventure is a good way to help the Order of the Silver Chalice players either earn Fame or get removed from the campaign.

aka Kaylith Dracul val'Sungha, Templar of Sarish

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:27 pm 

What Talen Drake says, I approve ;)

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:23 pm 

:D Silver Chalice! Sure. Cause I enjoy laughing at interparty struggles.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:41 pm 

If we start freeing slaves, soon they will want citizenship, voting rights, education and economic opportunity. Then the women of Coryan will start wanting the same. When women have the vote, our military coffer's will be bleed thin on social programs for the newly created poor. Then who will carry our Letica's? Citizens? Who can afford that? Keep in mind that such criminal behavior, if allowed to spread, will tear asunder the very fabric of all that is good and noble of Coryani Society.

Rhetorically, what are we do to with our thieves? Would you have us Coryani crucify them? Would a sunless life shackled to a Milandisan dungeon be a better fit for petty criminality and indebtedness? Hey, at least OUR criminals get chance to walk in Illiir light under their own power, and raise a family.

But rather than wed,
She drowned him instead,

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2  Next