Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Elder Scrolls Online
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:53 pm 

Playing Elder Scrolls Online?

Wanna join a guild of role-playing gamers?

Join me in The Rokugani

@geron59

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Elder Scrolls Online
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:12 pm 

I've thought about trying ESO but I'll wait foe ESO to go free to play (and, if it doesn't, that's fine too - there are plenty.of decent f2p mmos).

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:48 pm 

Yeah, I don't do f2p mmos

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:51 pm 

CBlome wrote:
Yeah, I don't do f2p mmos

Not to hijack the thread but, I'm curious, why do you avoid f2p mmos? The phrasing gives me the impression that you avoid them just because they're free. I find some of the f2p mmos quite good (lotro, ddo (until about level 14 anyway), eq1 (dated but still a good game), Star Wars, etc).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:10 am 

I personally avoid the f2p ones, for the most part (I do still have a Star Wars account), simply because ones you have to pay for tend to have more serious / interestered / engaged player communities.

Certainly, I don't play them the way I once did... but I still prefer the more serious / mature audience, and in my experience that just doesn't exist in the truly f2p ones.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:30 am 

While they can still be fun games, i also find that f2p leads to a slow decline in quality.

And f2p can easily become pay to win.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:49 pm 

I will agree some f2p players seem to lack engagement but I don't think f2p necessarily leads to that. Lotro still has a very engaged and serious community. On the other hand, a lot of the Korean f2p definitely have a wholly different feel that I don't like either.

As far as maturity, the least mature players I've ever encountered were in WoW (though I'm definitely not saying there aren't immature players in f2p games because there are). I think it more comes down to game choice and some of the fee ones do seem to attract more mature players. While I like more mature players, I'm just not willing to shell out $100+ / year for a mmo anymore.

I don't think any of the games that have switched from fee to f2p have lost quality or become pay to win (lotro, ddo, coh/cov, eq1, etc). However, some of the ones built as f2p were definitely designed with pay to win as the business strategy. I think the publisher is a good indicator in this regard.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:02 am 

Okay, I feel urge to respond. :)

So while I enjoy fantasy/sci-fi genre "rpg" computer games, i find that I just don't have the free time to play them all that often. Additionally, I've never liked the whole "clan" concept where you need to schedule a time to get online to complete some quest as a group. Then I discovered World of Tanks. It's an MMO, but not an MMORPG. And if you have any interest in WW2-era tank combat, I suggest giving it a try. Each game in "random battle" mode is 15-v-15 and is balanced (somewhat) by the matchmaker. It's timed to last no longer than 15 minutes, though most battles are decided in 5-7 minutes. No huge investment in time. And it's free to play. And the people who pay to play do not have a significant advantage over the free people. (Some small advantages, but not significant.)

Okay, advertisement over. (But I really enjoy the game. If you try it out and like it, send DeadZone2112 a friend request. Maybe we can platoon sometime.)

Scott

Offline Profile