Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Weltengeist's Noob questions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:50 am 

Since I repeatedly seem to come up with questions, and since I don't want to open a new thread for each of them, I thought it might be a good idea to collect them here...

So here we go.

I found the PDF for "Shadows of the Forsaken Past" at rpg.drivethrustuff.com, and it sounded very interesting. However, the description explicitly states that some material (in particular the maps) is not contained in the download, but available from the livingarcanis.com webpage. Now this webpage does not seem to exist anymore, and I can not find the documents on the paradigmconcepts.com pages either. So what is the situation here - does it make sense to buy the PDF? Is it still possible to get the maps somewhere?

And then for something completely different. In the rulebook, Primal Magic is described as the magic of witches (amongst others), and the many Hexes in the spell section also seem to indicate that there is something like witch magic in Arcanis. Now I was wondering what Background a witch would choose - I don't seem to find anything fitting in the rulebook or the CoH? And since I'm asking anyway, what is the status of witches in the Coryan Empire in general? Do they exist? Are the shunned or hunted, or are they an integral part of rural communities? And how do they protect themselves against the Harvesters?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Weltengeist's Noob questions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:20 am 

Hi there,

to tackle your questions:

1) IIRC Shadows of the Forsaken Past was a D&D 3.5 era module where you travel to the Sealed Lands to find the secret of Tempered Sarishian Steel. It's maps used to be on the old website but that website ... I''m afraid is gone. Not sure if anyone here has copies of those maps. Seems likely somewhere does. Alas I did but no longer do (I've upgraded my computer since then). SotFP was a cool module but is not linked to the current rules set or campaign arc(s).

2) I am sure there are Coryani witches out in rural areas. And operating discretely in urban ones too. But they're probably a lot less noticeable than the real Roman equivalents (I believe Rome had three types of Witches and tolerated the "fortune tellers" and "herbalists" varieties but feared and prosecuted "poisoners"). A lot of the conceptual space taken up by a benign rural "witch" is occupied by the priestesses of Saluwe in terms of being wise to the natural world and herb lore. And the Mother Church is a lot more dogmatic than the Roman civic Church was. Forget worrying about Ymandragore, the authorities are not very likely to turn a blind eye to you...and the Inquisition thinks your kind is a spiritual threat.

Not sure if you can take Shaman background from Coryan. Could maybe make the expatriate/exile background work and might also represent someone outside normal society. Or think about being a bored Patrician with a big secret (your social connections might help explain why no body hassles you too much). Arcane Archetype (or expert with adaptable) +a racial bump for val or human + an elective skill = the magic three ranks you should start out with mechanically.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:14 am 

Weltengeist wrote:
I found the PDF for "Shadows of the Forsaken Past" at rpg.drivethrustuff.com, and it sounded very interesting. However, the description explicitly states that some material (in particular the maps) is not contained in the download, but available from the livingarcanis.com webpage. Now this webpage does not seem to exist anymore, and I can not find the documents on the paradigmconcepts.com pages either. So what is the situation here - does it make sense to buy the PDF? Is it still possible to get the maps somewhere?

Is there maybe an official answer to be had? I mean - the PDF is still on sale, but incomplete. Shouldn't there be some red lights flashing about this somewhere? Or maybe it's not too complicated to include the old downloads from the livingarcanis.com page into the new download section?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:27 pm 

Weltengeist wrote:
Is there maybe an official answer to be had? I mean - the PDF is still on sale, but incomplete. Shouldn't there be some red lights flashing about this somewhere? Or maybe it's not too complicated to include the old downloads from the livingarcanis.com page into the new download section?

Unfortunately, I believe most (if not all) of the material from the old site is lost in the æther.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:11 am 
Hard Eight wrote:
Weltengeist wrote:

Unfortunately, I believe most (if not all) of the material from the old site is lost in the æther.

Yeah, and many of the old LA_Talk associated files are dead links as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:49 am 

Weltengeist wrote:
Weltengeist wrote:

I likely have the maps around somewhere... given I wrote that beast. If you could be so kind, could you send Henry a PM about this? (I would, but given you noted the issue, credit where credit due)

Offline Profile