Last visit was: It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Keeping up the challenge and interest
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:09 am 

mininin wrote:
I had had seen it but had thought it just an example template so hadn't looked beyond that.

It awaits people to submit some :)

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:52 pm 

mininin wrote:
people like you?

well I felt it unfair to call out certain groups of people, so I made myself a target. Its probably a egocentric thing, but I would feel disingenuous if I didn't.

Take the group of people some of their characters are combat monsters, some of their characters are virtuosos of diplomacy, but their characters excel at something vital to the game, something cohesive that's not just a skill, but a set of skills talents items and ideology. (before anyone starts yelling at me, I think most of the players I've met, fall into this category)

That group of people are not usually that challenged by the baseline provided in the mod, something different needs to be done to challenge those folks. Raising all their defenses by 2, is a good start (man I feel stupid for arguing with Pedro about this along time ago) Making them hit harder is important also.

The problem is these things you call "cheating", I don't. Cheating is what players do, and when they do it, they mostly harm themselves. What a Chronicler does is provide you with a challenge. (mind you this is a different mindset than an environment with limited resources)

Fun fact: Mob tactics sometimes works a bit differently at my tables, instead of +2 to hit and damage, I add +1 to hit and damage for each enemy in the mob. Mind you you have to use it with a light touch.

I feel that its the "sacred" duty of a chronicler to use the right tools for the right job, sometimes that job is to use an encounter to advance a story element, sometimes an encounter is supposed to distract, sometimes an encounter is supposed to beat the daylight of the heroes.

I remember fondly, an instance where I had a party of top notch players, that were cake walking through a trapped maze portion, and I made up a trap just to scare the daylights out of a player (it was either that or just sit there for 10-15 minutes) I used a false floor to dump him into a dark pit trap that was magically silenced and the pit door reset and wouldn't activate again.

Sorry that might be a bit of a ramble but i want to leave on a note of apology:

Ironically, the fact that I do this means that I notice it a lot easier, particularly when the mod is using some sort of weird modified rules, and I tend to get grumpy about it. I like to think when i meander off to deal with it, people don't notice but they probably do and I'm sorry.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:38 am 

SamhainIA wrote:
I remember fondly, an instance where I had a party of top notch players, that were cake walking through a trapped maze portion, and I made up a trap just to scare the daylights out of a player (it was either that or just sit there for 10-15 minutes) I used a false floor to dump him into a dark pit trap that was magically silenced and the pit door reset and wouldn't activate again.

I'm still not laughing about that you freakin' sadist....

Okay that's not true; that was awesome fun, easily in my top 3 BI's.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2