Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anshar portals
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:52 pm 

the portable gate was a prop at a larp late in the 3rd ed campaign, IIRC the inestimable Sean Molley was playing a Ymandrake broker at the time. and Nelson was playing the Dagger of Cadic at the time to but I forget to what purpose.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:07 am 

SamhainIA wrote:
Uh , what? your telling me an active coryani legion is stationed in Ventaka. I think your smoking crack.

It is hard to state how weird The Legion of Grim Lamentation is. For one, TMK, the Legion does not rely on the central Coryani infrastructure that keeps the Legions going. They fund and run themselves ... from somewhere. Where? Who are their patrons? Uh, good questions! I don't know either. Some claim to have seen them in weird places...like the four big (inaccessible) Gates in the First City. So yes they are also guarding Ventaka's Gate. Since they never get involved in local politics and don't apparently take orders from Coryan its less weird than it sounds at first. All they do is guard the gates...though TMK they have never denied anyone access. I believe occasionally the Gates malfunction and something comes through...and the reason for the LGL is to deal with these somethings. Though that isn't stated anywhere officially.

They do not seem to be active in Milandir. Not in Luchek or Tralia to be sure. Bargains of the Spirit and Flesh and So Shall you Reap were both Henry mods with no signs of them. Not mentioned anywhere else either. My guess is the Kings of Milandir managed to either kick them out or come to some kind of arrangement.

At Game storm earlier this year Henry mentioned that their helmets contain a face mask. For all we know there are Altherian robots underneath. And that they keep to themselves. Apparently you can never find a couple off duty in some taverna drinking a Savonan Red. Makes it hard to ask questions.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:15 am 

so really the legion it's mostly in name rather than action, that I can understand a whole lot more. so in what wsys is it act like a foryani legion?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:28 am 

Remember: Coryani Legions are often based on older, First Imperium Legions (where the powerful Legion Standards came from). As such, GL may be from that storied time of history.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:03 am 

Ah the Legion of Grim Lamentation. Created in the first batch of legions I ever sat down and wrote down, they are full of mystery, secrets and a long history.

As Cody is correct, the LGL has been around since the glory days of the First Imperium and was recognized by and accepted as a Coryani legion by the third Coryani Emperor. That doesn't mean however, that it was reconstituted and recreated as an original legion, but rather it is unique. or almost so, in that the legion has never dissolved and can trace its lineage back in an unbroken time line back to its inception.

As to why there weren't any legionnaires at Lucheck is because there aren't enough members to guard each and every portal, so the legion patrols some of the lesser used ones, popping in ,checking around and then going on to the next seldom used portal.

As for Tralia in Bargains , I believe that the scene was the ambush by Reavers. The reason you didn't see them was that they were killed by said Reavers and their bodies disposed before the Heroes arrived. Members of the LGL are most certainly on duty in Milandir as they are in the Empire, Canceri, etc. I just don't think it necessary to mention their presence unless its necessary.

One other thing to remember is that the legionnaires don't necessarily stand at attention beside the portal but at times are in a side room or some such.

I would love to do a monograph on the LGL but would much rather their secrets be revealed in an adventure rather than in text. When that adventure possibility will present itself is unknown.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:21 am 

Henry,

Thanks for the information. Given what you've described, is it fair to say that the LGL should not be considered an acceptable choice for the Former Legionnaire background?

I'm looking forward to finding out more about them at some point. Thanks for the info!

With a sweep of his...

Hat

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:53 am 

Hello Paul,

Hat wrote:
Thanks for the information. Given what you've described, is it fair to say that the LGL should not be considered an acceptable choice for the Former Legionnaire background?

Correct.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:46 pm 

you may wish to change kofan to the ruins of kofan.

Quote:
Although Nagar and Panari were restored and are thriving hubs to this day, Kofan was never rebuilt. A black ashen patch, miles long, overlooking the Straits of Coryan is all that remains of that benighted city

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:56 am 

Necromancy!

the portable gate came up in a Larp a long time ago. the Tir Betoqi traded it to them for something

and it was really portable, like on wheels kinda portable

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:27 am 

Henry

Is it known how the LGL attracts members. Are people born to it, do they recruit or is it more like the French Foreign Legion where people go and join up, leaving all ties to the past at the threshold?

Cheers

Melbourne - Australia

Marco val'Sheem - Master Sword Sage
Gwe - Berokene Sailor & KNight of the 12 Oaks
Henrique Gatti- Dark-kin Archeologist

Tos'Koreth - Disciple of Jeggal Sag
Vuran - Tultipet Body Guard

The Axeman (LRC)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next