Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Glorius Coryan! (flavor text for a home game being prepared)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:26 pm 

Grand Coryan! Great Coryan! Home of the most divine Mother Church, of the Exalted Val'Assante family!

Glorious Coryan who's might and fame are unrivaled!

Ambitious Coryan who's relentless Legions bring the Saber and the Shackle to the deep corners of the Known World!

Ancient Coryan, beloved Inheritor of the First Imperium!

Righteous Coryan, Shield and Sword of All Humanity no matter how dishonorable and ungrateful it's successor states!

Divinely Blessed Coryan, upon who's majestic throne sits the Emperor Calcestus Val'Assante, a scion of the Lord of the Heavens Illiir himself.

Crumbling Coryan whom resentful wolves circle.

Dread Coryan whom heretics whisper is ruled by madness.

Doomed Coryan, struggling against the fate of all empires even as it's warriors march ceaselessly to war expanding her borders in battles that only ever presage further battles. There is only Glory and Glory demands War.

Mighty Coryan. For weal or woe the center of the Known World. "All evil might come from Canceri," as popular saying has it, but all bend the knee to Invincible Coryan who wish not to know the weight of the Gladius upon their neck.

Coryan: Shield of Chosen Humanity!

Coryan: Sword of Divine Will!

Coryan: Armor of Heaven's Order!

Coryan. Ruler of the Known World.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Glorius Coryan! (flavor text for a home game being prepa
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:40 pm 

And the Boy King? What does Osric think of that? Or Platiro and the Council of Wisdom? The Laerestri?

Are all of your players going to be Coryani?

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:30 am 

A very nice introduction to the Coryani Empire.

Good job.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:45 pm 

val Holryn wrote:
And the Boy King? What does Osric think of that? Or Platiro and the Council of Wisdom? The Laerestri?

Are all of your players going to be Coryani?

I'm doing a blurb for every nation. The idea of Coryan's being in the tone of a hysterical, ecstatic crier came spontaneously. Milandir and Altheria will be different.

As for the Elorii I have variously described them as enigmatic and secretive with the divine authorities vaguely questioning the divinity of "Their Goddess." The Elorii perspective will be generally concealed from any PC who isn't Elorii though with exceptions noted next.

The question of "what actually is the legal status of an Elorii traveling in another land" has come up as has "is Belisarda's worship "Heretical?" Does the Mother Church actually forbid it?"

Since table size is apparently elastic due to various RL concerns and commitments I'm working up various npc "quirky weirdos" to fill roles and cultures missing from everyday perspective. My general guideline is that while they can make skill checks for the group, such as Sense Motive for social scenes and Lore tests for History, they can't make decisions nor offer advice on any choices that come up. So if nobody plays an Elorii there will variously be one around to represent them; same with most of the other nations. There may not be a Hinterlander, for example, or a Cancerese given both groups tendency to be relatively apolitical compared to the usual suspects.

Last edited by Nyalakene on Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:46 pm 

PCIHenry wrote:
A very nice introduction to the Coryani Empire.

Good job.

Thanks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:10 pm 

Nyalakene wrote:
I'm doing a blurb for every nation. The idea of Coryan's being in the tone of a hysterical, ecstatic crier came spontaneously. Milandir and Altheria will be different.
Nice. And interesting...

Nyalakene wrote:
The question of "what actually is the legal status of an Elorii traveling in another land" has come up as has "is Belisarda's worship "Heretical?" Does the Mother Church actually forbid it?
In a home campaign you can obviously do what you want. In the original campaign it started off "assumed" that the laerestri were welcome to come in peace as traders and travelers in Coryan (and beyond). Many Milandesians were fond of specific elorii. Later in the Original campaign Calcestus made that official within Coryan by decree and even travelled to Seremas to help in a BI there. My personal opinion is that the Mother Church would go nuclear quickly if laerestri started "preaching Belisarda" to the Coryani or tried to build a large public Temple to Belisarda in a Coryani city. In an old LARP set in the first (of three) in King Osric's Court they earned the right to build a temple to Belisarda in Milandir for the use of the laerestri.

I think they (the Mother Church) generally leave the elorii alone.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:15 pm 

val Holryn wrote:
Nyalakene wrote:
Nice. And interesting...

I think they (the Mother Church) generally leave the elorii alone.

After a while of reading fluff I came to the conclusion the main thing that made Elorii tolerable in Mother Church lands was that they were unconnected to any real power structure. They didn't pick sides and/or report to masters in a Val family or the Church itself. They ostensibly work for coin and favors and unlike a group like the Cadites don't have any apparent "moral influence." They also of course don't have any ties to any physical power base in a province like the Val'Dellenov in Balantica. The Laerestri are here and there, are for hire, and nobody much mourns them if they die. All quite convenient for getting ambitions advanced and secrets sought/suppressed.

(they are also unlikely to seduce or impregnate anyone's offspring which I'm sure is a plus)

They are kind of an odd outlier in another way. Seen very broadly there are two playable teams: the Mother Church Factions (including the Black Talon and the Dark Triumvirate) and the Elorii. Clearly intra-faction bloodshed is a critical theme to Arcanis politics but the Elorii are the "sixth finger" of the Known Lands PC's compared to everyone else.

Perhaps nobody will play one. That would certainly simplify a few things. We'll see.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:21 am 

The crier's call for Coryan is an interesting introduction and should snag people's attention. Given that it sounds like there are 2 different "voices" you could also run it as two warring criers, the trumpeter of Coryani greatness with a naysayer calling out in counterpoint all the doom and despair.

One thing I'm curious about, if the intent is to at least run the hard points for the original Coryani Civil War story arc, you really might want to encourage or limit characters to being from Coryan. I know when we played through it I talked to a number of folks who struggled at times trying to figure out why their characters would care or who felt that their characters should strive for maximum chaos as they opposed the Coryani Empire.

For my occasional home campaign that's set in the same time period I gave the players a number of options as a common tie that bound them together - national loyalty, secret society, etc. that would give them common cause given the backdrop. In the end as a group we settled on the PCs all being legionnaires. They're about halfway through Year 1 now.

It's a great time frame for all sorts of different stories. The PCs could be Emerald Society dodging warring factions to get to precious dig sites or discoveries before they're potentially destroyed or looted by one side or the other while avoiding being pressed into service in an auxilliary legion, for the good of the empire.

I'm certainly curious to hear what all you have planned for your intrepid adventurers. Please make sure to share your group's stories. They'll be fun to read.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:34 pm 

I'm not sure if the adventure is in the pack, but having them all be from the Legion of Radiant Glory and start in the Province of Toranesta (modern Abessios) would give them an interesting start.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:38 pm 

Southernskies wrote:
I'm not sure if the adventure is in the pack, but having them all be from the Legion of Radiant Glory and start in the Province of Toranesta (modern Abessios) would give them an interesting start.

I think Arcanis from a single perspective would be dull. What's the point of being complex and morally conflicting if everyone's not just inclined to agree by shared culture, but, if from a Legion, sworn to loyalty and conformity?

I'm mildly surprised to find veteran players suggesting such. Where's the fun in that?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next