Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: List of legions and affiliations
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:35 am 

Apologies if this is easy to find - my search fu is weak.

Is there is a list of current legions and any information about them (purpose, affiliations etc) somewhere? I'm about to start a home game, and one of the players likes the idea of an ex-legionnaire so I'd like to give him a list of options to see what might interest him.

Many thanks in advance.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: List of legions and affiliations
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:43 am 

Good news: some people (i.e. me) have way too much free time to answer these questions, so I'm going to link you to a post that should answer your question.

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=2610&hilit=Legions

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sigismund Jupiter val'Holryn von Tralia

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:04 am 

Wonderful! EXACTLY what I was after, thanks every so much.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:56 pm 

I recommend the Legion of the Watchful Hunter if you're looking for a Legion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:15 am 

Lol! Just to mess with Hat, I'm going to suggest Legio Lex Talionis! :P

In the old campaign from the 3rd edition days the two legions that had the most player involvement were the Watchful Hunter and the LLT. The Watchful Hunter was the legion most active among the rebel faction players. The LLT was most active among the loyalist players. It's not clear if that rivalry survives into the "modern" day.

One thing that LLT has going for it over other Legions is that there is a current PCI mini-Book on the Legio Lex Talionis. If you are looking for more detailed information and some ready made plot hooks it would be a good resource. Also some 5e crunch...

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:52 am 

Thanks both. When my old group played the Living campaign (wow, that was a long time ago...) we eventually had 3 groups of PCs. Our 'main' group were nominally rebel or unaligned, so we created a second group of loyalists and split the mods so each could have mini-arcs. With the advent of the Invisible Kings program we ended up with a third group, and they were a totally rag-tag bunch.

But strangely (possibly) although I distinctly recall 2 PCs with the Legionnaire feat, and at least one more who was a soldier, nobody ever expressed any inclination towards specifying which legion. I just used to read the old Yahoo group and chuckle at the barbs back and forth between the players of each faction.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:36 am 

I never met another member the Legion of Heaven's Blade during the 3.0/3.5 campaign (even after attending Origins 2005).

- Barbara Duran Marcus tribu Saluwe' Melissa Flavia Hiro domo Balantica
- Pat2/Ftr4/Cent10 Legion of Heaven's Blade, Armillus wearer, senseschal to the val'Dellanov family at The Wedding (I got to read the Calmemnon baby certificate...)

I have met *one* in the ARG campaign; created after Calmemnon returned to take the First City. There are a few more 5e PCs around, but I haven't brought Barbara out of retirement to meet them (she is 64 in the current game year of 1073 IC)

- Astra Tonsoria val'Dellanov tribu Saluwe' Melissa Flavia Ursula domo Balantica
(see footer, Armillus wearer)

Didn't notice until 3 years after playing that Henry had marched my Legion off into the unknown regions. Barbara used some of her favours with Senator Tensen-Balin to get her daughter Astra transferred out during the re-organisation.

Strangely, both of them keep acquiring the notice of the Inquisition...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:12 am 

val Holryn wrote:
Lol! Just to mess with Hat, I'm going to suggest Legio Lex Talionis! :P

In the old campaign from the 3rd edition days the two legions that had the most player involvement were the Watchful Hunter and the LLT. The Watchful Hunter was the legion most active among the rebel faction players. The LLT was most active among the loyalist players. It's not clear if that rivalry survives into the "modern" day.

One thing that LLT has going for it over other Legions is that there is a current PCI mini-Book on the Legio Lex Talionis. If you are looking for more detailed information and some ready made plot hooks it would be a good resource. Also some 5e crunch...

Chris and I outlined the information needed for a Legion of the Watchful Hunter supplement ages ago back when PCI was more actively looking for military unit write ups. The WH is active in current era mods. While originally player created, it's certainly PCI's property now. I'm certainly still happy to promote it though, as it's awesome. :)

The following are my thoughts and perspective, though Henry and the authors that use them certainly have the final word. I would expect the rivalry continues though perhaps without the rancor it did back in the day. They're definitely the dark hand of Illir in the types of tasks they take on and devoted to Cadic, but it's not "pure" from a worshipper perspective as conceived providing those that follow another god properly honor Cadic as well. Both legions are zealous in their pursuits and their loyalties and they're both back on the same side. LLT's ties to the Church seem to take precedence over their loyalty to the Coryani Empire, but it's been a while since I read the LLT supplement.

One thing that helped make it fun was knowing there were other PCs out there of the same legion, especially when there were opportunities to sit down at a table together. In the 3.0/3.5 days we hand made 3 WH banners. Chris Knight who came up with the legion in the first place has one, I have another and the third was gifted to Henry. Mine currently hangs on our wall. When possible I still break it out and bring it to events. It adds a bit of flavor especially to BIs.

I made quite a few friends bonding over the legion. Regardless of which legion you choose, I hope you have a similar experience being able to bond at a table with others in the same legion or at least in a Coryani legion. If you have any questions about the WH, happy to share what I know.

For duty and honor! (and with a sweep of his hat),

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:55 am 

Welcome back to Arcanis!

I hope whichever system you're using, provides you and group a great time.

Out of curiosity, are you going to use a home-brew storyline for your home game or are you going to adapt the published adventures from the Living Campaigns?

Keep us posted on how the game progresses.

Take care,

Henry

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:04 pm 

Thanks Henry. My two abiding memories of the original living campaign were the compelling storyline, and the warmth of the community - I was pretty confident that the first would still apply, and from the friendly and helpful replies to my question it looks like the second hasn't changed either.

My group, like so many at the moment, are playing online only, and I've been at the wheel for a while but wanted a change of pace from what I've been running. I had had the 5E setting book printed from the pdf a few months back and it caught my eye while scanning the shelf. I was delighted to find that you'd made the Introductory season adventures available as PWYW (very kind) so I pitched it to the group for the next few months.

The twist, if you will, is that while the new setting is as rich and full flavoured as I remember it, I'm... less enamoured with 5E. So, I'm converting it to run using 13th Age. I think I have a reasonable mapping of races and classes between the two, I'm going to swap in the Pantheon of Man in place of the core game's Icons, so now I need to rework the necessary start blocks for the adventures, and see where I can insert opportunities for montages and skill challenges. If anyone is interested I'd be happy to share my notes (feedback welcome).

The excitement of preparing for the game - and reintroducing myself to Arcanis in the process - has got me more enthused than I've been for a while. I've set my players homework to read the Arcanis Primer this week, and we'll be doing Session 0, and possibly the opening scenes of Taboo, on Thursday.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next